shyuhe-5 - re-learning civ

Got the save.

We definitely need more workers to get all that jungle out of the way.

Yeah, we need at least one more to chop jungle + farm/cottage as fast as a city can grow.

But before that, the settler must be resumed to settle north of Sakae (NE of sugar, NW of rice, 2S1E of corn).

We are also terribly weak vs boudica ... if she were human, she would have attacked by now. So, we also need more archers (they help with happiness anyway). We are in HR, so whip the capitol mercilessly if you want to.

--

We definitely want the city site NE of Sakae since we can't get the barb city itself. I think we can culture flip it since we have cities in proximity (3rd ring?). But that's a long ways off.

I would build a few archers but honestly, if Boudica's going to attack us I think we're going to be sunk regardless. How close is she to getting to pleased? If I remember the AI dow code, we're not going to discourage her from attacking unless we have a big enough defensive power over a certain threshold (which I doubt we'll reach).

I would also try to fill out the two remaining fishing villages. They should both increase our overall economy since they'll be coastal. Maybe settler-worker-settler-worker for Ulundi?

As for techs, are we going to go currency after math?

Roster
GreyFox just played
Paulus III - UP
Corneh MIA
Ralph_Jackson (on deck)
shyuhe

Depending on how quickly Paulus III plays I may need a swap as I am off travelling from friday a.m. returning Sunday evening.

Of course on the bright side it means I get to experience the famous Greyfox :whipped: for a change to give Shyuhe a break. :lol:

Depending on how quickly Paulus III plays I may need a swap as I am off travelling from friday a.m. returning Sunday evening.

Of course on the bright side it means I get to experience the famous Greyfox :whipped: for a change to give Shyuhe a break. :lol:

I have no time to play before Friday, so a swap might be needed.

Inherited turn: I change the monument in Bulawayo to a granary, so I can whip, whip, whip!

Turn 114: Granary at Bulawayo is whipped. There are no good workable tiles so I might as well whip it anyway.

Turn 116: Math finishes, I start (as suggested by shyuhe) on Currency. Makes sense, it's an useful economic tech. Archer finishes at Ulundi and is loaded on the boat so we can settle another city on the island without having to fear for barbs. I whip a settler at Ulundi, start one at Nobamba, will whip that one as well since Nobamba has high food.

Turn 117: The settler from Ulundi is moved to the spot 4S of Ulundi. Boudica is willing to trade Alphabet, we have Priesthood and Math on her but she does not want to trade it yet for what we have.

Turn 119: Ulundi finishes a worker, start on archer to let it grow back. Whip a granary in kwaDukuza, that city is so low on food it really needs that granary. Settle Nongoma, first build a granary.

Turn 120: Whip the settler at Nobamba.

Turn 121: uMgundgunlovu finishes another archer, I start on a temple.

Boudica makes me nervous a bit by running her troops through our lands...

but for some reason, I doubt she's going to attack. There are no city-buster troops in there.

TUrn 122: CTD. I'm pissed now.

Backtrack, try to play exactly the way I played the last few turns. The settler is ready and will be settled 4N of Nobamba.

Turn 123: F*CKING CTD AGAIN! Backtrack yet again, as the realization hits me... Our gamelog is FUBAR. Both times my CTD was caused by clicking on the gamelog. Evidently a bug has struck again. Argh!

At the second 123, Ondini is settled:

and that is where I end.

Possessions:

Boudica is willing to offer Alphabet for Monarchy/Math: keep in mind she's researching Monarchy herself and already has some points invested in it.

Unfortunately, we need to watch out for using the gamelog function because it's been screwed up. I thought BUG 3.00 had all the problems with the gamelog fixed (and I've not encountered it in any other games I've been playing) but evidently not. I'm deeply sorry if it's my fault. :( :( :(

Save attached.

Attachments

• Shyuhe-5 AD-0200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    168.1 KB · Views: 66
Overall it looks pretty good. Alphabet will speed up the time it takes to research currency but that's really the only benefit we'll get from it. So I don't know if it's worth trading with Boudica for it since we're going to be taking her out eventually.

We also need more workers. The jungle is going to take a long time to develop.

Roster
GreyFox
Paulus III just played
Corneh MIA
Ralph_Jackson - UP
shyuhe (on deck)

Lurker comment:

Unfortunately, we need to watch out for using the gamelog function because it's been screwed up. I thought BUG 3.00 had all the problems with the gamelog fixed (and I've not encountered it in any other games I've been playing) but evidently not. I'm deeply sorry if it's my fault. :( :( :(
Yep, your log is broken and has been for awhile. My best guess is that the problem occurred in the 1440BC and/or 1400 BC turns since those are the ones whose colors are screwy when I looked at your saves. (A Debug DLL only reports an assertion error but doesn't actually crash when this problem occurs which is a nifty benefit I just discovered.)

BUG no longer contains the problematic SimCutie CIV4ColorVals.xml file but if a copy is lying around from a much older BUG install or another mod, it'll still bite you. :(

OK Got it will have a report up Monday evening UK time.

Ralph

IHT.

I switch Ondini from a Granary (no hammers invested) onto a Monument. In simple terms all our fishing villages basically need to go, Monument, Workboat, Granary, Library to get up and running.

Note we had no cash resevres so dial down research to build it up to cope with a random event, I always want 40 gold on hand to have choices for slave revolts etc..

I decide to stagnate Umug slightly by assigning two scientist, this boost research slightly but more importantly is the only way to guarantee a scientist for our Capital Academy as the capital will be at best a 50/50 shot versus another Merchant and we need an Academy. This also lets me cancel the half built cottage as the worker is needed more urgently for Cottageing duties at Bulawayo which is going to go Cottage crazy as our commerce city.
In the meantime the Capital will pop archers on the way to size 9 which feels optimal for it then to pump settlers and workers.

With currency in the first real decision of the set I umm and ahh, rejecting calendar as it will only give +1 happy which we are not short of and we can always cottage some sugar instead, although construction is tempting for catapults we are along way off being ready to attack Boudica which leaves Compass which some might feel an unusual choice.

But we are running a trade route economy and this unlocks a building giving us +50% commerce in all our coastal cities which will prove beneficial. Additionally we do want to meet other AI’s in the not too distant future..

Now Barb boats have started to appear so we need to guard our fishing nets, there is one at the north island and 1 on our western coast so keep an eye out for them.

Now the capital is at size 9 it can go on exclusive Settler , worker duty for a while but we do need a unit pump and Nongoma is bets for that so suggest it goes , Ikhanda and then just units once we have finished mining its hills.

End of turn

Compass is in and construction selected for you warmongers but no Beakers invested.

Boudica is at +6 so still improving, probably should look at trade deals to improve our standing and lets be clear if she asks for a monopoly tech give it to her because with this stack she could crush us like a bug.

Note a settler is in position as shown for another fishing village.

Cheers

Ralph

Attachments

• Shyuhe-5 AD-0500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    182.8 KB · Views: 92
Lurker meddling:

Would you all mind being guinea pigs? :mischief: I've worked up a potential fix for the gamelog crash problem and run it on the last posted save. If all has worked properly, the only differences between Ralph's save and this one are (a) the colors of problematic log entries reset to white so that the crash should be gone, (b) an extra log entry on this turn of unknown duration mentioning the fix, and (c) an extra session from my re-saving.

If you're not adventurous enough to actually play from this save, please at least load it and view the log and let me know if the crash is gone. Thanks.

Attachments

• Shyuhe-5 AD-0500 Logfix.CivBeyondSwordSave
    182.8 KB · Views: 98
Got it. Dresden, I'll try loading your save but I'm going to continue with the game we have just to be safe.

As for Boudica... let's just hope she didn't get busy before she hit pleased. Since we've gone towards optics, I think CoL or MC --> machinery --> optics. I prefer the latter since Ulundi won't benefit much from bureaucracy as compared to a CE capital and finding other AI may be more helpful. Plus xbow from machinery will be a little more comforting.

Roster
GreyFox (on deck)
Paulus III
Corneh MIA
Ralph_Jackson just played
shyuhe - UP

I have verified that it is indeed my fault re the log. I usually play using my laptop, but when I did not bring it back, I use my home PC. And in my home PC, I searched for files containing SimCuties and found a xml file having it. I have since then removed the entire BTS folder, so the problem should be gone. I am however very sorry to have caused the save to be tainted.

As to Dresden's modified save, I opened it, and it seems fine. No CTD with the log opened.

--

Dresden, thanks for your effort to fix the log. We are grateful. :)

Optics is indeed the way to go since bureaucracy won't do us any good and attacking Boudica is out of the question.

I've played my set but I don't have time to post a full report. I'll try to give it some justice tomorrow. Basically I finished MC and machinery and Boudica is stagnating her economy by building a SOD that she can't use because of her coding :lol:

I hope I don't regret that last statement...

well here we go.

IT: Switch research to MC.

Turn 136 - Settle Nod whatever (I can't read my notes)

Turn 138 - A GM is born. I settle him as he'll bulb MC and a trade mission seems worthless.

Turn 142 - MC completed, machinery selected

Turn 149 - I beg 20 gold from Boudica.

Turn 150 - Machinery completed, optics selected. I stop here. We also got a quest:

And here's the tech situation:

I think we should continue towards optics to find other civs to trade with. After that, maybe try liberalism? I didn't have a chance to build any new workers as I was building infra in Ulundi. But we should pop out a few more workers and a few more settlers to finish settling our land. We may also want to take care of the barb city to the north when we get a chance.

Roster
GreyFox - UP
Paulus III (on deck)
Corneh MIA
Ralph_Jackson
shyuhe just played

Attachments

• Shyuhe-5 AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    202.3 KB · Views: 65
Liberalism looks out of the question to me, unfortunately.
I'd have to check the save (to see whether the AI's are fighting and when Taoism was founded) but I highly doubt it.

Top Bottom