Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

For me a make-or-break factor would be the price tag. I didn't get CivBERT when it was released and it turned out like a good idea since it would have been a really bad mistake because I lost interest in it.

As in you never played RT? If that's the case, it's a shame because it made BE what it should have been in the first place. The game still has it's issues, but it was far more enjoyable than it was "vanilla". I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wasn't expecting SMAC II even though that would have been a great move on Firaxis' part.

As far as Civ 6 is concerned, as long as there is still Hotseat (a must have feature) I'll be picking it up. My wife and I play have been playing this series together for a long time, and it would be a shame not being able to do so with 6. Especially, since my wife was not a fan of Beyond Earth.

All sounds promising so far based on the developers' interview! I've spent a terrifying number of hours playing firaxis titles since AC, and opponents with agendas (and aversions... one can dream, Mr Beach), done well, can be the magic ingredient imho. Also, I'm a fan of these early screenshots, the cleaner, slightly more abstracted art style vs civ 5 is refreshing - good design looking good :)

Which new civilizations and wonders do you think will appear in civ 6?
I reckon Australia and some sort of Native American tribes. Wonders? I reckon each nation will have one of there own wonders to build and then any others will be open to all Panama Canal, Whitehouse, Scotland Yard

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I think the "cartoonish" graphics look fine. If I wanted realistic looking I would turn on the news or go outside. The game mechanics and actually being able to play it on a system that meets their minimum specs is more important to me.

One concern, with cities now occupying multiple tiles will it be like a SimCity type game where you now have to micromanage where everything you build goes? This might be fun if you have only 2 or three cities but if you have a dozen or so cities it will become a real chore managing all those cities' infrastructure.

The thing is, the alternative to these graphics isn't ONLY a realistic look. There is probably a way to achieve a clean look (possibly even cartoonish one) that doesn't look that cheap. Because that is what the style looks like to me right now, cheap.

Hopefully they learnt their lesson and don't screw it up by having an elcheapo schoolkid design this one, like they did with Civ 5.

Yes, I will be making a rant against the new graphical style... I am a long time reader, and perhaps have made an account longtime ago that I forgot. I am doing this because I am really annoyed and disappointed with the style, and this forum, I believe, holds some respect with the developers. Therefore I think here my complaints will be heard and hopefully we can get something else on release day or DLCs. (Yes Fireaxis, I would gladly pay for a reskin DLC...)

The stake to the hearth when I was looking at the screen shoots was when I noticed the "swords" the swordsmen (I believe) were carrying. I even rushed to write some unkind words on Facebook:

"Look at those swords, I want to vomit.. I hope they were testing the mod part with a clash of clans re skin of the game. Just awful I hate it. if those are the final art style I won't buy this crap. I mean how could they even think for a fast second that this was a good idea?"

I see some people here saying that in civ IV there were cartoony style too. Well, maybe they were not "realistic" like in civ V but they did a good job at representing fighting units from our history. After all, it is history related game for god sakes!

If they go further down this path of artistic liberties, well then, since they are already using anime/manga swords, why not unlock some spells too? The anti air units could cast a cloud that damages aircrafts after a little dance animation...

And I remember thinking to myself those robots would be the worst civ had done... Well, it seems there is no such thing as "it can't get worst than <x>..."

I hope they don't make the same mistakes as before and come out with something mediocre and disappointing.

There is only so much loyalty each of us can give to this franchise. I find it disheartening that they don't listen to the very people they try to pander to.

I think there are a lot of great ideas listed here, and I certainly have some of my own. :think:

For once, I'd like to see OUR ideas of where this game should go at least be considered:

No one likes 1upt - make it a limited 1apt. (2upt? not enough, IMO)

I like culture, but I think tourism takes away from the wargame it really is.

EVERYBODY wants a smarter more consistent AI!! No questions there.

And PLEASE, get rid of XCOM and GDR!! Those belong in BE, not in a history of Civilization.

Well, I guess it's already too late to do anything about it now, as if we ever had a chance.

So... No Russia in the trailer? Such a small country of little importance... Yeah... First Man in space... cough, cough...

By the way, International Space Station stays in orbit due to Russian propulsion modules, but yeah, our flag has not deserved to be in the trailer.

Good Job, Firaxis. You lost a buyer.

So... No Russia in the trailer? Such a small country of little importance... Yeah... First Man in space... cough, cough...

By the way, International Space Station stays in orbit due to Russian propulsion modules, but yeah, our flag has not deserved to be in the trailer.

you're wrong theres a russian tank at 1:00
not a big deal most russian players are pirates

Good thing you focus on the important parts of a game! :crazyeye:

Yes, I will be making a rant against the new graphical style... I am a long time reader, and perhaps have made an account longtime ago that I forgot. I am doing this because I am really annoyed and disappointed with the style, and this forum, I believe, holds some respect with the developers. Therefore I think here my complaints will be heard and hopefully we can get something else on release day or DLCs. (Yes Fireaxis, I would gladly pay for a reskin DLC...)

The stake to the hearth when I was looking at the screen shoots was when I noticed the "swords" the swordsmen (I believe) were carrying. I even rushed to write some unkind words on Facebook:

"Look at those swords, I want to vomit.. I hope they were testing the mod part with a clash of clans re skin of the game. Just awful I hate it. if those are the final art style I won't buy this crap. I mean how could they even think for a fast second that this was a good idea?"

I see some people here saying that in civ IV there were cartoony style too. Well, maybe they were not "realistic" like in civ V but they did a good job at representing fighting units from our history. After all, it is history related game for god sakes!

If they go further down this path of artistic liberties, well then, since they are already using anime/manga swords, why not unlock some spells too? The anti air units could cast a cloud that damages aircrafts after a little dance animation...

And I remember thinking to myself those robots would be the worst civ had done... Well, it seems there is no such thing as "it can't get worst than <x>..."

On the swordsmen, I'd have to agree. They do look awfully cartoonish.
The rest of the skin.. I find it decent. Not as good as civ5, but probably an indication that they're focusing less on the graphics.

Well there's just no pleasing some people :lol:
For my part I couldn't care lesser about which flags appear, the video is great.

Interesting that there was an attempted click-jack while watching the Youtube video.

Time to run a scan again. :mad:

I have two main complaints.

1. What frustrates me most about what I've seen so far about Civ 6 is that this game seems like it's being developed for tablet use specifically. Which means less immersive atmosphere of a game due to system restraints.

2. Another thing that I am really disappointed in is that seems like Civ 5 2.0. I was really hoping Civ 6 would be a fresh new original Civ game that really brought in new real life scenarios of what would happen in real life within a civilization.

I realize I'm partly guessing on my second point but just from what I've seen and heard, this game doesn't look like a brand new original Civ.

1. What frustrates me most about what I've seen so far about Civ 6 is that this game seems like it's being developed for tablet use specifically. Which means less immersive atmosphere of a game due to system restraints.
I would be so happy if they make a tablet version that's fully functional. I hope you are right.

What frustrates me most about what I've seen so far about Civ 6 is that this game seems like it's being developed for tablet use specifically.
Where are you getting that from? Anything besides the cartoon (i.e., high contrast) graphics? I was sure we be hit over the head on announcement day about VI being optimized for tablets.

Which means less immersive atmosphere of a game due to system restraints.
Don&#8217;t modern tablets have graphics and processing capability comparable to the laptops available when V shipped? Should that not be enough?

If those cliffs represent a coast where you can't land soldiers, three cheers. I've been wanting them to do this forever.

Hex side terrain would add a lot of tactical fun to the game, and we could dispense with 'peaks'.

Top Bottom