[R&F] Small things you have noticed on playing

Magnus's doubled chop works with harvest belief.

Got goddess of the harvest for the first time in forever last night. Georgia TSL Europe map so plenty of forest and plenty of need for faith. Can't wait for limes/monarchy (+100% prod to walls) + Magnus (+100% Chop) + Godess of Harvest (Faith from Chops) + 100% faith from protectorate war. Any guesses how the math on this would work?

Are you kidding me??? So you could easily hit a +70 just from cities? And enter an eternal dark age... wonderful. Every time I make peace with this expansion and justify to myself that its playable, something else pops up. I swear to god, these devs do not play this game.

Moderator Action: Please keep this a family friendly site by watching your language, post edited --Noble Zarkon
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

It seems half the people want mechanics to check uncontrolled city sprawl (especially through conquest) and others who don't. I lean towards the former because the game seemed to go too far in that direction. I don't want to go back to the Civ V days, but 70 cities doesn't even sound fun.

You don't have to build 70 cities you know. I will say massive conquest seems to have helped me chain golden ages. It's still the best strategy, I'm fine with that since I enjoy war, but I can see how others don't like it.

I'm thinking the spy visibility is intended. Did you guys check your visibility levels of the civilizations you spotted the spies? I have a feeling it is related to the visibility level you have of a civilization. And that's a good feature to me.

I'm pretty sure the spy visibility is from the Cree sharing visibility with allies. Not sure if intended or not.

Got goddess of the harvest for the first time in forever last night. Georgia TSL Europe map so plenty of forest and plenty of need for faith. Can't wait for limes/monarchy (+100% prod to walls) + Magnus (+100% Chop) + Godess of Harvest (Faith from Chops) + 100% faith from protectorate war. Any guesses how the math on this would work?

Only the initial chop amount + Magnus' double gain the benefit from goddess of the harvest. Production policy cards don't manipulate the faith portion of the chop and I have not tested if the faith gained through chops is enhanced w/ abilities like Tamar's or Kotoku-in's +% faith.

I'm progressing through my first game of R&F and just realized Meritocracy is gone. As someone who relied heavily on that card to offset lagging culture, that one's really going to hurt.

I'm progressing through my first game of R&F and just realized Meritocracy is gone. As someone who relied heavily on that card to offset lagging culture, that one's really going to hurt.

So that's why I couldn't find it. There's a Golden Age dedication with that effect now, I guess they removed Meritocracy to prevent stacking.

I had a barb scout suicide into my full health capital. I've played a lot of Civ since Civ 2 and I don't recall ever seeing a scout attack a city by itself. Maybe due to being on King difficulty? I don't know.

Also, the AI is SUPER chummy with me. All 7 AIs are my "friends" with as many as possible in alliances. Very strange this Kumbaya hippe AI on King. I think they're all too happy about me killing so many barbs or not attacking them. IDK. Someone should hate me I feel like lol.

I had a barb scout suicide into my full health capital. I've played a lot of Civ since Civ 2 and I don't recall ever seeing a scout attack a city by itself. Maybe due to being on King difficulty? I don't know.

Also, the AI is SUPER chummy with me. All 7 AIs are my "friends" with as many as possible in alliances. Very strange this Kumbaya hippe AI on King. I think they're all too happy about me killing so many barbs or not attacking them. IDK. Someone should hate me I feel like lol.

When you destroy a barb camp, any remaining scouts created by that camp will rampage and attack whatever is closest to them. It's been that way for several patches.

Only the initial chop amount + Magnus' double gain the benefit from goddess of the harvest. Production policy cards don't manipulate the faith portion of the chop and I have not tested if the faith gained through chops is enhanced w/ abilities like Tamar's or Kotoku-in's +% faith.

Still that is going to be incredibly powerful. Assuming the % bonus is additive, that is 3x for production and either 2x or 3x for faith.

Yea that's a game changer. May actually need to build theater districts now.

The still haven't fixed the UI not showing the number of turns to complete a trade route, despite stating in the patch notes "Trade Route panel bug fixes and improvements".

Let's see, first game I played as the Mapuche vs. Gengis Khan. We spawned with two city-state between us. He was aggressively and successfully going to war with surrounding city-states. He took Hong Kong early on, then aimed for the two between us. I decided to defend and took one of his cities. I decided to let the city rebel and test out loyalty system and see how free cities are. Only problem is Gengis Khan kept threatening me because "You occupy one of his cities." Perhaps a bug?

I formed an alliance with Tamar and Tomyris early on. It takes a loooong time to level up an alliance, even with supporting policy cards for +25%. I think it could be easier to level up. Also, did they do away with defensive pacts? I assume so. Even with a cultural and scientific alliance, whenever I went to war with Gengis Khan, Tamar and Tomyris declared war on him as well. It's nice to see alliances be..alliances. That change must have slipped by me leading up to release.

Also, I went for a culture victory and civs were aggressively trying to trade for my great works. Nice to see, but annoying after awhile.

This seems like a good change to me. Science games should require a few theater squares to make reasonable progress through the civic tree, just as culture games need a few campuses to make reasonable progress through the tech tree. With all the other sources of culture available, this really hasn't been the case.

Won a T195 peaceful SV using globalization style, deity all standard settings, with Cree. At least in R & F culture forcusing can still be a good way for peaceful SV.:)
Reyna cannot get -25% discount when purchasing districts from Democracy, you still need 7200 gold for each spaceport.

Here's my first impressions after playing about 100 turns:

I generally like the new features so far
  • I found the governors to be really useful. I had a chance to place 4 of them and a few with upgrades. Magnus might be a little game-breaking.
  • The eras are fun but I've basically been in perma golden age so on first play it seems like it might be a bit too easy to stay on top if you're aggressive - ages might overly favor the human player
  • The historical notes with era points are a nice touch
  • Carthage is nerfed :cry: This may have happened in a prior patch - I can't say I'm surprised but I will miss their bonus
  • I had some trouble with the loyalty system at first. I captured the Greek capital early and it revolted twice which forced me to brush up on the mechanics more - I haven't flipped any cities to my side yet
  • Mapuche seem middle tier-ish, but probably very well suited for cultural victory. I had civs surrounding me on all sides so I went for a more domination style game
  • The game still seems very easy - they really need to make some more AI adjustments. I only played King but it felt more like Warlord - I had no trouble capturing early cities with just archers and warriors. And with horsemen it's a cake walk. My start didn't seem all that great but I had very few barbs so that helped. It will take some more openings to gauge the difficulty.
  • Found a pink lake natural wonder and a few new resources - seems like there's a lot of new content so far.
  • Stonehenge wasn't completed until turn 65 :eek2: I avoided religion but ended up founding one close to turn 100. Not sure if I'll tinker with it or not in the first game. The religious units looked different than when I last played. Only the Cree had a religion on my continent so maybe the AI isn't as religion focused now (fingers crossed).

The still haven't fixed the UI not showing the number of turns to complete a trade route, despite stating in the patch notes "Trade Route panel bug fixes and improvements".

I doubt that's one of the things they intended to fix. They seem to deliberately obscure most information about timed actions like that - for instance there's no way of identifying when you made a promise to someone and so when it will expire, and duration isn't shown for alliances, friendships or denunciations.

Top Bottom