[R&F] Small things you have noticed on playing

I noticed that if you have only one copy of strategic resource and no encampment in the city, then you can produce previous unit type which didn't need that resource. In cities with encampment you can produce newer bersion of unit type.

Before R&F that was working only if you had no specific strategic resource at all.
Agreed, has been fixed although it is a sneaky way to get cheaper troops, mine one iron but not the other. Still they gave it one way, now we get to try the other.

You can't buy buildings in government plaza with gold or faith.:crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye: It seems that this plaza shall be built in a city with reasonable production since you may want to produce things in 3 stages.

-Loyalty from pop has a 20 maximal. So if your other sources of loyalty exceeds 20 (governor, amenity, monument etc) then the city will never flip.

City state have a pure 20 loyalty bonus so it will not flip even if surrounded by mass cities.

It seems that it's easy to fall into dark age at classical. (My first game as Korea went into dark age at classical, since I don't manage to capture my nearest neighbor in ancient. I captured his 3 cities at T52.)

Stewart is very important. I'm thinking of monument starting now.

Last edited:
You can't buy buildings in government plaza with gold or faith.:crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye: It seems that this plaza shall be built in a city with reasonable production since you may want to produce things in 3 stages.
I have thought about using Liang 30% promotion for this but it’s just the wrong timing and Amani, Magnus and to a degree Reyna all are just asking to be got.

I have thought about using Liang 30% promotion for this but it’s just the wrong timing and Amani, Magnus and to a degree Reyna all are just asking to be got.

In fact only having the 1st tier one ASAP. Since the latter ones really do not benefit a lot.

Using Stewart to chop Pyramid is great.

The problem is that we want dark age for Medival but it seems that we're likely to get it at Classical... But during Classical there's always too much Golden age points. (Capture a Civ provides 9, Swordman, Horseman, research, government change... )

In fact only having the 1st tier one ASAP. Since the latter ones really do not benefit a lot.
2 of the second tier are useless... but not the free spy... I guess you do not use spies much but the intelligence agency is a great addition.
What about the royal society - are builders our new scientists?

The problem is that we want dark age for Medival but it seems that we're likely to get it at Classical
Just get a golden age at classical as the eurekas then are more plentiful, then it’s much easier to get a dark medieval.

Last edited:
Does it seem like to anyone else there are less antiquity sites? I'm okay with this change, because they could be quite annoying, but obviously if you are going cultural you want them. But as a warmonger, you'll initiate lots of battles, and I've had games where I've had to clear out at least 30 of them because they were preventing me from improving my tiles.

I'm still in my first game, so I have nothing to base it on.

edit: And is anyone else getting random Eureka boosts? I'm not sure why I'm getting them. I'm not a Suzerain of that one scientific city state and I don't have a research alliance. I just got synthetic materials and plastics and I don't know why.

Last edited:
So it seems getting the government plaza and ancestral hall early is a strong way to start now. It does cost a district but it’s not expensive and the settler discount and the vitality of getting settler early just seems too hard to ignore.
What about first governor? Amani may seem a sensible option for an early +2 with a CS if you need it.
Alternatively, if you are playing for Domination or at least an early conquest strategy rather than building your own settlers as much, warlord's throne is quite nice in the government plaza. Also, one of the directives you can choose for a new era lets you buy settlers and builders with faith. In a game where I inherited a nice holy site infrastructure through conquest and had no wish to play for a RV, this use of faith was quite nice, not for early expansion, but for backfilling my continent and creating farms, mines, etc.

2 of the second tier are useless... but not the free spy... I guess you do not use spies much but the intelligence agency is a great addition.

Just get a golden age at classical as the eurekas then are more plentiful, then it’s much easier to get a dark medieval.

It seems not easy to earn 24 era points in the first 50 turns actually. (At least not for no save-load all-random diety game)

Wiping out a Civ gives you 9 points, but if you are a little late due to strengthened barbs or sth., you won't get that point. If so it'll be very likely to fall into dark classical.

Also, the diplomacy is still broken. AIs still denounce me the next turn they meet me at ~T10.

Barbarian scale with difficulty makes them crazily strong on Deity.

But I don't experience serious loyalty problem on Dark Age. It seems there's not very much punishment, sending a governor to newly-captured city can definitely keep it loyal.

Last edited:
It seems not easy to earn 24 era points in the first 50 turns actually.
Well I am on my third game and have has 3 classical golden eras. One suspects the big difference is starting with a scout.

I may get another with a bit of luck in an emergency
upload_2018-2-10_21-0-17.png

Just got this new one I have not seen before
upload_2018-2-10_20-58-53.png

Well I am on my third game and have has 3 classical golden eras. One suspects the big difference is starting with a scout.

View attachment 487831

Scout is easily killed and do not really gives you any benefit I suppose. Barbarian is everywhere and they get dozens of archers very quickly.

If you viewed the map before you play then scouts are really useful, otherwise they just get killed since as soon as you see a barb archer you're almost dead.

Maybe because I'm playing continental so no point from discovering new continent. Can you always explore a natural wonder?

Last edited:
Nope... Couldn't do it on Space projects, nor the Manhattan project (well, I guess this one isn't really a "District Project" so that was to be expected)

And actually, this bonus is underwhelming at best!
I just expended a 4-charges builder to produce roughly 80% of my city's production on a Commercial Hub investment!!
Not even one full turn worth of production @_@ For FOUR charges (in hindsight, the number of charges probably doesn't matter. I'm too mad to do further testing on this right now), plus it can only be done on the "Great People" projects apparently, and only once a turn. Whew.

Also:
  • You can't liberate a city-state you got from it being captured by an enemy and lost to you through the new loyalty system.
  • The Amundsen-Scott Research Station with 5 Snow tiles gives +20% Science, +10% Production to all your cities -- the double yields (+40% Science, +20% Production) ONLY apply to the Amundsen-Scott city itself (the full-on Tundra/Snow one yeah)

I may get another with a bit of luck in an emergency
View attachment 487832

View attachment 487831

In my first game I have 6 cities, 20 population, a dozen archers and half a dozen warriors at T50, but still fall into a dark classical since none of them provide era points.

Nope... Couldn't do it on Space projects, nor the Manhattan project (well, I guess this one isn't really a "District Project" so that was to be expected)

I just expended a 4-charges builder to produce roughly 80% of my city's production on a Commercial Hub investment!!
Not even one full turn worth of production @_@ For FOUR charges (in hindsight, the number of charges probably doesn't matter. I'm too mad to do further testing on this right now), plus it can only be done on the "Great People" projects apparently, and only once a turn. Whew.

Also:
  • You can't liberate a city-state you got from it being captured by an enemy and lost to you through the new loyalty system.
  • The Amundsen-Scott Research Station with 5 Snow tiles gives +20% Science, +10% Production to all your cities -- the double yields (+40% Science, +20% Production) ONLY apply to the Amundsen-Scott city itself (the full-on Tundra/Snow one yeah)

Just to clarify, you're saying you couldn't expend builders toward spaceport projects with royal society? I have been doing this atm in my Korea game it doesn't work for the spaceport itself but it does for all the space projects I've built so far. It is a bit of a high cost tho it seems 2 build charges = 1 space project turn. Which is still amazing since its for victory but expensive

Wow , attacking Tomyris with a spear army is quite fun....And I just got another +6 era from more experienced unit deaths
upload_2018-2-10_21-10-30.png

Looks like its golden golden for me
upload_2018-2-10_21-14-42.png

If you viewed the map before you play then scouts are really useful
That is your belief... Whacker and Civtrader used them from time to time... My scout this game got a lot. I am just saying scouts are more useful now if you want a golden Classic.

Maybe because I'm playing continental so no point from discovering new continent. Can you always explore a natural wonder?
I only play continentals, I still use scouts

Great stuff, thanks for a very useful post, I suspected they were crap
Just to clarify, you're saying you couldn't expend builders toward spaceport projects with royal society? I have been doing this atm in my Korea game it doesn't work for the spaceport itself but it does for all the space projects I've built so far. It is a bit of a high cost tho it seems 2 build charges = 1 space project turn. Which is still amazing since its for victory but expensive
Expensive but if you want to shave some turns off.., especially with Aztec builders, but yes seems poor.

• The AI is mad at me forever for "occupying" one of her cities that I lost ages ago (and that was a conquered City-State I was Suzerain of, come on please),
  • Multiple +3 Historic Moments happening at the same time messes with the animation (the last one gets animated multiple times),
  • You get a Historic Moment from killing something with a Naval Unit supported by an Admiral even though that Admiral doesn't affect this unit (Era mismatch, Artemisia with a Frigate),
  • The Fishery (Governor improvement) just produces 2 food at best; no housing, no money, no nothing? Can't even be built on reefs.
  • The Mekewap says it will provide "more [...] housing as we progress through the Tech and Civics trees", but the Civilopedia never specifies which Tech or Civic exactly makes it provide more housing, nor how much more (0.5? 1? 2? hint: it's grown by +1 additional housing, +2 total, by the end of the Renaissance Era)
And (this one is gold), the description for the War Department building: "All units when they eliminate a unit, they heal up to 20 hit points".
And the Tech and Civics tree's branches still don't represent the actual requirements, the little gizmos that come and sandwich the "New World Era" notification look ugly IMO (like the Desert mountains)...

I still love the game though. :)

Oh my gods... Thank you so much, it's my bad actually -- I'm an idiot. I tried using it on the neighbouring city's (inactive) Spaceport, which happens to be closer to that city's one than its own.
I can confirm it does work, although yeah, it still is underwhelming. Thanks!

Wow , attacking Tomyris with a spear army is quite fun....And I just got another +6 era from more experienced unit deaths
View attachment 487833
Looks like its golden golden for me
View attachment 487834

That is your belief... Whacker and Civtrader used them from time to time... My scout this game got a lot. I am just saying scouts are more useful now if you want a golden Classic.

I only play continentals, I still use scouts

Great stuff, thanks for a very useful post, I suspected they were crap

Expensive but if you want to shave some turns off.., especially with Aztec builders, but yes seems poor.

Era point System is just like eureka system, you actually spend resources to gain them.

But Dark Classical and Heroic Medival may be a different way. At least you no longer need to build lots of Holy Sites. Not sure which one is better in fact. Since managing not to gain era point at classical is much more difficult, there're too many era point sources. (only looking at 9 for wiping out a Civ that's already quite a lot, also you unlock T1 and T2 government, build some wonder , your 1st unit that need horse/iron, all are during that time.)

Renaissance? If ancient last for 50 turns, 40 classical and 40 medival, then it's already 130 turns, who cares about what happens afterwards.

I think in most cases I can't afford a classical golden age, which in most cases means I shall delay my conquest. So maybe the dark-heroic one is a normal thing.

Last edited:
The AI is mad at me forever for "occupying" one of her cities that I lost ages ago
You can settle a city in amongst your cities and give it to them to remove the -18 ... and it will soon flip back
The Fishery (Governor improvement) just produces 2 food at best; no housing, no money, no nothing? Can't even be built on reefs.
.. even with a lighthouse?

A loyal great admiral... very admiral. Would be nice with the mausoleum
upload_2018-2-10_21-27-54.png

In my game each 3-charge builder took at least 1 turn, sometimes 2 from each use working on space projects and I could easily buy a worker every turn with how much gold I was making from my trade routes to economic ally and CH buildings. Maybe because I had the governor that gives bonus production to space projects?

Top Bottom