[R&F] Small things you have noticed on playing

Spain is hating me for not clearing barbs... but I'm playing without them.

edit: jeez, or at least I think I am. If not, my first settler wave is gonna have a rough time of it once I finally get off this island.

edit: jeez, or at least I think I am. If not, my first settler wave is gonna have a rough time of it once I finally get off this island.
I think rebels can trigger it.

upload_2018-2-11_1-11-3.png

It is cool that when I scramble for Era points a few turns before the next era, I decided to buy biplane and a privateer. Then voila. I got 3 era points for my first air unit and another 3 era points for my first sea unit.

It uses the same button China would use to put progress into a wonder, the royal societies description is that you "give all builder charges to provide bonus production to a district project" so i would assume if it's 1 charge = so much production then that production can be boosted
Yes it is the same, and it is also considered as Great People, which cannot keep overflow. 1 charge = 3% production of the (space) project cost, and it can be accelarate by governor, HongKong, etc. However, chopping trees looks more reliable.

Clearly says it should cost 550 gold to buy but it costs 930 in reality, putting me in negative gold all of a sudden.
I had many money when I was playing, so I didn't notice, but it was true that many people in Chinese forum went bankrupt and rebelled, which is probably a serious bug. Seems Reina always pay full price, ignoring 25% discount from democracy and 40% discount under average.

It seems to be dependent on something that happens in-game, either something the player does or the AI or both.
In deity it is always the turn 50, 90, 130, 170(industrial), then others I guess are 210, 250, 290

Last edited:
I haven't seen this mentioned...

I have to wait 25 turns after a dow before making peace (on marathon). Used to be 10.

edit: or am I losing my mind?
Pretty sure I saw somewhere (patch notes maybe?) that the turn times of diplomatic actions were adjusted to vary with game speed. I presume that includes wars?

In deity it is always the turn 50, 90, 130, 170(industrial), then others I guess are 210, 250, 290
I think that's the minimum length, but they can be longer (40-60 turns on standard). I don't think we have a clear view of what makes the era end somewhere other than minimum or maximum.

Era point System is just like eureka system, you actually spend resources to gain them.

But Dark Classical and Heroic Medival may be a different way. At least you no longer need to build lots of Holy Sites. Not sure which one is better in fact. Since managing not to gain era point at classical is much more difficult, there're too many era point sources. (only looking at 9 for wiping out a Civ that's already quite a lot, also you unlock T1 and T2 government, build some wonder , your 1st unit that need horse/iron, all are during that time.)

Renaissance? If ancient last for 50 turns, 40 classical and 40 medival, then it's already 130 turns, who cares about what happens afterwards.

I think in most cases I can't afford a classical golden age, which in most cases means I shall delay my conquest. So maybe the dark-heroic one is a normal thing.
I always get dark classical unless I manage to build a wonder (artemis usually, its the only one worth building and reliable enough on deity because of the tile requirements)... Still I think getting dark-heroic is much better than normal-golden

Alright I can only assume this has already been reported since this is too blatant to not notice, but Reina's district purchasing is bugged.

Before:

After:

Clearly says it should cost 550 gold to buy but it costs 930 in reality, putting me in negative gold all of a sudden. Considering the price is seemingly dependent on how many districts of the same type you already have I was thinking maybe if I had a theater square currently in production somewhere it could mess up the numbers, but I don't have that so... beats me. Same thing happens if I try it with other district types too btw

All purchases do not count production discounts, like even if you have military academy and Ikanda you purchase corps still on 2x prices instead of 1.5x or 1x.

So district purchase do not have discounts in fact. This is just a visual bug I guess.

The great scientist still provides 3000 production right? but you can't use it...lol

My observations are as follows:
issue with emergencies - if you are at war with a civ and you accept an emergency against another civ - then you automatically sign for peace... very unfortunate.

still no idea what happens when you capture a government plaza --- game finished - and no ai has built one.... holy sites all around.

In xml it says that the plaza is instantly destroyed.

But not sure what really happens in game since I never seen AI building it.

I think initial like/dislikes are highly based on what difficulty you're playing on, so i wonder if the people discussing these things are playing on different difficulties.

Personally, I mostly play(and lose) on deity, and there's some steep penalties to initial meetings. even if i'm not being a jerk towards them(avoiding forward settling and the like), i also have to be able to match their agenda(intentionally or unintentionally), and/or have a suitably extravagant gift to give them. Through these means, i can sometimes befriend a civ early, but it's not always easy or even doable.-- in addition to the starting meeting penalties, i'm usually behind on comparative agendas.

Often they also like they also really like denouncing me(presumably to give them an excuse to attack me, because their early military usually outpaces mine), which makes diplomacy harder

When I played on lower difficulty levels, it seemed like becoming friends with everyone was way easier.
i play on emperor, so maybe that's it?

what i find happens though is that they become "friendly" before their agendas have even set in. for example, cleopatra may become friendly before she is able to complain about my pathetic military 10 turns into the game

i also send delegations pretty much immediately, which i'm not sure everyone does, so that may influence it as well
Spain is hating me for not clearing barbs... but I'm playing without them.

this agenda actually just does not work in my experience. i can clear a barbarian camp and have someone immediately ask me why i'm having tea with barbarians instead of painting the soil with them

I don't think global eras are too closely linked to avg. global tech. Just entered global classical and I hadn't researched my first tech yet. Hitting the global caused me to gain astrology, which then put me in the lead of the 9 civs I've met. Next era is in 117-177 turns, and I'll have just researched my second tech by then.

I am playing Mapuche. Shaka declared war on me and I sent Privateers to harass his coast. I managed to kill enough units in a row to make one of his cities go Free. Sure, it won't flip to me, but he doesn't get to use it for a few turns.

I am playing Mapuche. Shaka declared war on me and I sent Privateers to harass his coast. I managed to kill enough units in a row to make one of his cities go Free. Sure, it won't flip to me, but he doesn't get to use it for a few turns.

I'm playing the Mapuche as well and am having a hard time getting their cities to flip or even become free. For one thing you have to kill 5 units quickly or else the loyalty pressure negates whatever loyalty was lost. Also the AI doesn't really know how to group their units like that. Instead they just kind of throw them at you one at a time. I found conquering to be easier doing it the old fashioned way.

I'm playing the Mapuche as well and am having a hard time getting their cities to flip or even become free. For one thing you have to kill 5 units quickly or else the loyalty pressure negates whatever loyalty was lost. Also the AI doesn't really know how to group their units like that. Instead they just kind of throw them at you one at a time. I found conquering to be easier doing it the old fashioned way.

It took more than 5 because I had to wait for more to come in range and the loyalty would creep back up between hits.

According to other players' experience, there is an easy solution to the problem of loyalty caused by early conquest. Before you capture the first enemy city, don't give the final blow too early, just go to attack other two(one often not enough) nearby cities. When the 3 cities are all at low HP, take them together, and assign governors/policies/amenities. You will find that the loyalty growth of the 3 captured cities will be positive by triangle population pressure between them, never becoming free cities.

Amenity level to loyalty: happy (+1~+2 amenity) +3, ecstatic (amenity >= +3 ) +6, displeased (-1~-2 amenity) -3, unhappy and below (amenity <= -3 ) -6.

Plundering enemy's government plaza gives you 50 culture, which is twice as much as others, and government plaza will be destroyed when city was captured, so very worthy of plunder.
Unfortunately it is treated as a specialty district, which means the district discount formula must add it in, this makes it much harder to pursue a discount. Besides, its discount rate is -25%, not -40% (doesn't make any sense)

Last edited:
With my first playthrough (did it raw without reading much about the new systems) on prince, the biggest take home lesson: its good to be a warmonger again!

I had just denounced Alex as was going to wait the x turns before doing some sort of causus, but the Era switched so I was able to take the new golden 'go to war' perk ( = light WM penalty)
In defeating him, I liberated a city state that was next to Persia.
Persia decides to conquer the newly liberated city state, thus triggering an emergency that I get invited to. As it happens, my troops are still sitting inside the borders, so it takes a single turn to 'win' the Emergency.
Here's where it gets wonky...after re-liberating the city state, I tried taking a Persian city as well to see what would happen as far as WM penalty. Penalty = 0. So I keep taking taking Persian cities and then the capital and then wipe him out completely. Zero WM penalties. Everyone (that I wasn't at war with) still loved me!
Then Tomryis caused an Emergency by conquering another CS that I had envoys in so I get invited to that one too. And so I wipe her out as well, again with zero penalties.

3 Empires wiped out in less than 50 turns, zero WM penalties. Not sure if this is what they intended, but I do know I'll be spreading envoys to CS near aggressive civs to get invited to Emergencies more often.

Top Bottom