[R&F] Small things you have noticed on playing

Can someone clarify if Preslav's Suzerain bonus stacks or not? As in, is it +2 loyalty per turn per encampment district building in the very same city or +2 loyalty per turn per encampment district building in your whole empire? Because if it's the latter then that's absurdly powerful

The wording on the ability can kinda be interpreted both ways to me

Yeah, I have been playing with a rule that doesn't exist, haha. I was really happy with the district placement in my current game until I realized this.
When you mentioned this, I feel I remember reading something similar about requirements. Maybe we were confusing the adjecency bonus with requirements.

In that light; I just wondered if this district is abusable. For instance; you trade your city with a Gov District to a (player) ally. Build a new one with different buildings in another city, trade back the city; gain multiple gov building bonuses? Or would the trade back be blocked in that case? Possibly forcing a choice as to which district you'd want to keep..?

That's weird - I did have that option in a R&F game.
I don't have my own relgion though. Maybe you never could protest unless you founded a religion? Memory's foggy on that one.

The AI only seems to want to spread its religion to you if you're friendly, so I think I'm just going to have to denounce Montezuma. He's getting rolled by Lataro anyway.

Why would the "government" district be located in somewhere far-fetched? CIA secret base?

I'm not sure what they are trying to signify. As your capital is still in the same place. But think how countries like the U.S. and Brazil put their capitals in brand new cities designed just for that purpose. Of course the district isn't a city, and your capital is still your capital, so maybe that doesn't mean anything. But that's how I imagine it.

I still like to try to build it halfway between 2 cities, but I usually don't get perfect district pre-planning. I often don't build that many districts in my games anyways, I only did 1 full ring for the achievement.

I'm not sure what they are trying to signify.

As with all the districts, it's quite vague and not necessarily signifying one exact thing.

I think possible examples of real "Government Plaza Districts" are the The Hague, the City of Westminster within Greater London, Versailles between the reign of Louis XIV and the French Revolution, or Capitol Hill within Washington, D.C.

It's probably the name that made you think that, i stopped to think about it for about a minute when I was to built it first time too.
Why would the "government" district be located in somewhere far-fetched? CIA secret base?
I'm not sure what they are trying to signify.

Mechanics-wise, I like to think of it as sort of a Summer Palace/Forbidden Palace-type deal ala Civ IV, which essentially acted as a second center of government for the purpose of distance maintenance (in the case of VI, for loyalty, as the capital provides a lot of loyalty and so the govt. plaza does too). Of course I also rarely end up using it this way, it's too juicy not to stick in my first or second city to get that first building out asap for the Ancestral Hall/Warlord's Throne.

In that light; I just wondered if this district is abusable. For instance; you trade your city with a Gov District to a (player) ally. Build a new one with different buildings in another city, trade back the city; gain multiple gov building bonuses? Or would the trade back be blocked in that case? Possibly forcing a choice as to which district you'd want to keep..?
I'm under the impression that if the city with the government district comes under control of another civ, the district disappears (like unique improvements). I don't know if the legacy government card disappears, too.

Mechanics-wise, I like to think of it as sort of a Summer Palace/Forbidden Palace-type deal ala Civ IV, which essentially acted as a second center of government for the purpose of distance maintenance (in the case of VI, for loyalty, as the capital provides a lot of loyalty and so the govt. plaza does too). Of course I also rarely end up using it this way, it's too juicy not to stick in my first or second city to get that first building out asap for the Ancestral Hall/Warlord's Throne.

Yeah, I've just been placing them (incorrectly ;)) in the capital for the most part, but I wonder if that's really the way to go.

Yeah, I've just been placing them (incorrectly ;)) in the capital for the most part, but I wonder if that's really the way to go.

Well... I rarely have loyalty issues even in my border cities, if I have loyalty problems it's during conquest and thus far I've been able to avoid an actual city flip (usually via blitzkrieg tactics, eliminate the enemy as quickly as possible and flipping isn't a big deal). So I don't feel like it's the wrong choice, but I suppose there might be cases where I'd want to put it elsewhere? Maybe.

The production costs seem too high to put them in later cities. There is a governor to speed those costs up, but the promotions are better used elsewhere. In my current game and last game I put it in my 3rd city, but often it gets put in my 2nd city. Don't think I put one in my capital yet.

I think possible examples of real "Government Plaza Districts" are the The Hague, the City of Westminster within Greater London, Versailles between the reign of Louis XIV and the French Revolution, or Capitol Hill within Washington, D.C.

And South Africa's multiple "capitals" with a different branch of government in Johannesburg, Pretoria, and Capetown.

The production costs seem too high to put them in later cities. There is a governor to speed those costs up, but the promotions are better used elsewhere. In my current game and last game I put it in my 3rd city, but often it gets put in my 2nd city. Don't think I put one in my capital yet.

Yeah, you don't want to delay too long. So far I've placed it in my 2nd or 3rd city, basically as their second district after the early campus. I've tended to use it more for the adjacency bonus rather than the loyalty bonus.

Era points for:
Before, Horses were merely a curiosity of scholars. Now our Cavalry wields them as a weapon for the first time in the world.

Would be nice if I wasn't already technologically in the atomic era with tanks and just 4 turns from researching helicopters and didn't have knights a loooong time ago :) (I got the cavalry from a great general.)
I understand that this is era score for getting the first unit that requires horses (knights require iron), but it still is quite hilarious :)

Anyone notice AI being able to wage war against each another well? Unless the tech advantage is massive, they just seem to have drawn out war with no cities falling. Walls/Encampments/Melee attacking cities/encampment being hit by recoil just ruin any AI army. It's better than what I seen on release, but it's disappointing watching nothing happen.

Only thing they have no problem conquer through the entire game is city-states due to tech advantage and superior numbers.

One thing I noticed that I never encountered prior to R&F:

Two neighboring city-states got drawn into opposite sides of a world war, right on my border. And one actually eliminated the other, without any intervention by any major powers (other than me sniping one crossbowman with my garrisoned hwacha)--it didn't gain the other city, it just disappeared/razed.

Anyone notice AI being able to wage war against each another well? Unless the tech advantage is massive, they just seem to have drawn out war with no cities falling. Walls/Encampments/Melee attacking cities/encampment being hit by recoil just ruin any AI army. It's better than what I seen on release, but it's disappointing watching nothing happen.

Only thing they have no problem conquer through the entire game is city-states due to tech advantage and superior numbers.

Macedon fell by conquest in my game in a war against 3 other Civs (Mongolia, Egypt and India but it was mostly Mongolia). Georgia took two Greek cities, Brazil took one Spanish city and I think there was more conquering in the other continent that I didn't give much attention.

To see what governors an AI has in place you need access level secret.
I think you are mostly right, but an exception seems to be the Diplomat, whom you can see from the CS screen if she's assigned to a CS you know, or possibly just to one where you have at least one envoy. I have never seen the AI assign her to their own cities.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out a scenario. I mean, I was slightly annoyed that Egypt took my CS ally, but I'm not blaming the game for that, in fact it would make sense for her to do that since I was suzerain and it was near her territory :p

And offering a counter-example in that I have seen plenty of aggression towards city-states in my games. In fact in my Netherlands game I conquered two whole empires riding the back of protectorate wars and city-state emergencies that gave me wars with no warmonger penalties.
In that game, who were the leaders you conquered? Wondering if this AI behavior is leader dependent.

That's weird - I did have that option in a R&F game.
Not sure, but this coming up might depend on your diplomatic status with that AI Civ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom