Snofru's Space Maps

I started playing when it was a board game (before computers) back in the 1980’s.
The 1980s board game was quite different from Sid Meier's Civilization 1.
imho Sid Meier was heavily influenced by the computer game Empire (originally from 1971), Civ 1 looks a lot like the 1980's versions of Empire on Amiga, Atari etc.

I am not sure if a new computer can help but for me I found that regular saving and restarting the game after a crash made it possible to play through even the large maps.

The problem with the space maps is that there is no way (currently at least) to generate the space part of them with a mapscript. The few space maps that currently exist have been meticulously created by users by hand, tile by tile. The only thing I can do with my limited knowledge is take a normal map that has been created by a mapscript and combine it with one ot these existing space maps. This is also a quite dull task as many lines of code need to be replaced by hand. With a little bit of automatization I can do one map in about 1 h of time (random earth part but always the same space part). This is not done in Worldbuilder but with notepad++. In Worldbuilder you definitely can change maps but this also works only tile by tile and you cannot randomize a part or all of the map. I also think that you cannot change the size of a map in worldbuilder.

So, as I said, I can make one personal map for you if you either provide me with a duel size "earth" map (60x40 tiles, saved as a worldbuilder map) or if you give me the settings I should use in a mapscript. The earth part will be random then, the space part is always the same.

I would love to have you build me a custom space map scenario! Dual size. About 5 medium sized continents. Warm and wet. Not a lot of mountains. Able to navigate around all continents including the polar regions. No land at all in the polar regions (north and south polar regions covered in ocean with minimal ice). Average number of hills (100%. Not 150%). Not a lot of tundra, desert and barren land). Lots of rivers. Some lakes. Lots of flat arable land for farms and towns. In other words: something Gaia like. Eden like. Easy.
Thank you.

Ok, maybe tomorrow I have time to do it. I can't promise that everything you'd like to have in it can be fullfilled but I try to come close to it - it is a random map still :) !

Please take your time. My wife and I are about to go on a two week vacation. There’s no hurry. In the mean time…..I started a new game using one of your dual maps. It’s the Pangea one. So far it looks really good. I might play this one for a while.

hey:) could you make large archipelago?:) I like 10-12 large continents with middle sea level. I remember asking someone about custom space map and he said he could make one for me, but I don't remember if it was you:) I like script "world" due to all possible terrains appearing on map, from barren and desert, to permafrost:)

I would play on ones available on standard mod, but I already know each of them so it's not discovering and exploring something new, would be quite boring to play on map that I already know

Please take your time. My wife and I are about to go on a two week vacation. There’s no hurry. In the mean time…..I started a new game using one of your dual maps. It’s the Pangea one. So far it looks really good. I might play this one for a while.
Here is my map for you. Copy it into the PrivateMaps folder and have fun!

For the record: This is a duel sized space map with an "earth part" made with toffer90s "World" mapscript with the following settings:
  • duel size (60x40 which is larger than the typical duel size in the World mapscript)
  • tropical
  • medium sealevel
  • 100% hills, 50% peaks
  • continents
  • +4 rivers
  • 125% resources
I have manually removed a little bit of ice.

Attachments

• Space Map - Snofru Duel16_V1.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    683.9 KB · Views: 41
hey:) could you make large archipelago?:) I like 10-12 large continents with middle sea level. I remember asking someone about custom space map and he said he could make one for me, but I don't remember if it was you:) I like script "world" due to all possible terrains appearing on map, from barren and desert, to permafrost:)

I would play on ones available on standard mod, but I already know each of them so it's not discovering and exploring something new, would be quite boring to play on map that I already know

And here is your map.

This is a large sized space map with an "earth part" made with toffer90s "World" mapscript with the following settings:
  • large size (108x72)
  • temperate
  • medium sea level
  • 100% hills, 100% peaks
  • archipelago
  • +4 rivers
  • 125% resources

Attachments

• Space Map - Snofru Large06_V1.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
And here is your map.

This is a large sized space map with an "earth part" made with toffer90s "World" mapscript with the following settings:
  • large size (108x72)
  • temperate
  • medium sea level
  • 100% hills, 100% peaks
  • archipelago
  • +4 rivers
  • 125% resources
playing on your map now:D https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/snofru-space-map-large-epic-nightmare-difficulty.674396/
is it random where I spawn?:) got very small island with space only for 2 cities, but it's fun and challenging experience compared to my previous games where I had large land and played wide since prehistoric era

edit: can these space maps be created also with huge size, or large is max?

Yes, it is random! If you restart you should land on a different spot (I just tried it out).

Huge space maps (currently) can't be done because:

1. The hight of the maps is limited by the game engine (I think the maximum is 204 tiles) where we already are. To get a larger earth part you either need to make space smaller (possible to some degree) or the total map wider which changes the typical size ratio from 3:2 (this is also theoretically possible, but see 2. and 3.)
  2. The game engine is already at its limit with the current large maps if you proceed to modern times. Especially if there are too many units on the map it will become critical. Could already be a problem for your map later on (regular saving and restarting can help).
  3. There is no template space map with a huge earth part (120x80) and I am not really willing to create one.

I also think that the current large maps already have a pretty good size, you'll be able to build a lot of cities!

Last edited:
thanks for making map and for explanations, would be awesome if you could make one large with continents and low sea level too:) I played on archipelago until classical era, funny comparing with my gameplay on continents (half of industrial era in comparable game year):D https://i.imgur.com/plsMcsB.jpg and https://i.imgur.com/UZBvAR1.jpg
making break for now, but very curious about trying continents with space again. I played on all your large maps already and it's been awesome fun:)

Everybody please be aware that currently there is an issue with bad starting locations with the space maps as discussed here if you play with a lot of civs.

Until there is a better solution I would suggest to not use more civs than 10 for the large maps, 8 for standard and 5 for duel, or restart the scenario until you get an alright starting position.

The discussions with tramwajg fueled my interest to start a new game on my own. Therefore I created a new map to my own liking with these settings:

• large size (108x72)
  • tropical
  • high sea level
  • 150% hills, 150% peaks
  • Continents
  • +4 rivers
  • 125% resources

Attachments

• Space Map - Snofru Large08_V1.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
Top Bottom