Soldier-Veteran like in original Colonization

Oleg153

Chieftain
It's a simply way return Veteran using in the normal conditions.

in the ...\Assets\XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml
section UNIT_VETERAN
we need change
<iEuropeCost>1500</iEuropeCost> to <iEuropeCost>1900</iEuropeCost>
and
<iEuropeCostIncrease>300</iEuropeCostIncrease> to <iEuropeCostIncrease>0</iEuropeCostIncrease>

then remain to change one value below
<iTeacherWeight>0</iTeacherWeight> to <iTeacherWeight>3</iTeacherWeight> and our university is ready to learn new soldiers. (But I have no answer for part of problem: additional cost in case of Veteran was 833 (??!). (Statesmen - 500) )

Hi, I just made a small combat mod for myself so I can tell you something about this:

<iTeacherWeight>2</iTeacherWeight>

the Numbers are:

2 = University
3 = College/HighSchool (don't know the name in english version, I have german)
4 = school

The higher the number, the lower school you need.. for example:

Farmer is:
<iTeacherWeight>4</iTeacherWeight>

Ore Miner is:
<iTeacherWeight>3</iTeacherWeight>

Farmer is:
<iTeacherWeight>2</iTeacherWeight>

so if you want to have Veteran Soldiers in game, just change the Teacherweight to the level of your school you want...

btw it is possible to rename the units AND to change their combat attributes
Example of my changes:

Standart Soldier (farmers, blacksmiths etc.. with guns)
Combat : 2

Veteran Soldier (from europe, or self-teached, renamed to: Continenal Army / Continentals))
Combat: 3 (I changed it, so now there is a reason to buy/teach them)

Regular Soldier (Kings Regulars/Red Coats etc..)
Combat: 3

Ship of the Line (Name changed to 4th Rate Ship of the Line)
Combat: 10 (Ship of the lines were stronger then frigates, the 50% against frigate bonus is bulls***)

Man of War (Name changed to 3rd Rate Ship of the Line)
Combat: 12 (Kings SOL's)

Now the game is a little bit better with the changes I made, but now I am confused because of the school bugs +lol+

Oh I forgot:
If you change Combat strenght and load a game, the combat changes apply after you buy or teach a new veteran or ship, the other units have still their old stats !!!
AND it should be clear: Veteran Soldiers who are being bought from Europe, do NOT get the Promotions from your Founding Fathers !!!
Only self-teached Veteran Soldiers get the Promotions !!!

Shadow_AUT - I apologize for the tardy reply.

Thanks for the correction of information about the numbering of educational institutions. I have already tested himself and corrected.

With regard to combat attributes, it is not so simple:

Combat (obviously <iCombat>?) Is not only military colonization rate. Thus, he Civ4UnitInfos.xml have guns and ships ranging from 3 to 12
while the veteran soldier and the regular army soldier, he is 0. Here for example, I led the tags 4 units are similar to figures fighting properties.

<Type>UNIT_VETERAN</Type>

<Combat>NONE</Combat>

<iCombat>0</iCombat>
<iXPValueAttack>0</iXPValueAttack>
<iXPValueDefense>0</iXPValueDefense>
<iWithdrawalProb>0</iWithdrawalProb>
<iCityAttack>0</iCityAttack>
<iCityDefense>0</iCityDefense>

<iAsset>250</iAsset>
<iPower>25</iPower>

<Type>UNIT_REGULAR</Type>

<Combat>NONE</Combat>

<iCombat>0</iCombat>

<iCityAttack>50</iCityAttack>
<iCityDefense>0</iCityDefense>

<iAsset>250</iAsset>
<iPower>50</iPower>

<Type>UNIT_CANNON</Type>

<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE</Combat>

<iCombat>3</iCombat>
<iXPValueAttack>4</iXPValueAttack>
<iXPValueDefense>2</iXPValueDefense>
<iCityAttack>100</iCityAttack>
<iCityDefense>50</iCityDefense>

<iAsset>100</iAsset>
<iPower>300</iPower>

<Type>UNIT_ARTILLERY</Type>

<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE</Combat>

<iCombat>4</iCombat>
<iCityAttack>150</iCityAttack>
<iCityDefense>50</iCityDefense>

<iBombardRate>20</iBombardRate>

<iAsset>100</iAsset>
<iPower>300</iPower>

To determine in this case is information from the file Civ4ProfessionInfos.xml. This confirms the value of tag <Combat>,
which have NONE value in Civ4UnitInfos.xml

<Type>PROFESSION_SOLDIER</Type>

<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_GUN</Combat>
<iCombatChange>3</iCombatChange>
<iPower>100</iPower>

<Type>PROFESSION_DRAGOON</Type>

<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED</Combat>
<iCombatChange>4</iCombatChange>
<iPower>150</iPower>

But until i haven't a full picture of the combat system, the real answer to all these questions I can find only the setting next week VS.NET.
Meanwhile, the search code for me is very difficult.

I love the original colonization and want to close a new version to the old game rules (in the first stage) and then expand some aspects.

In the first phase enter the upgrade to the veteran soldier to Continental Army soldier and restore
the possibility of fire from the fort on the ship.

The second stage would

1) divide the possibility of armed colonists and armed militia. The militia should appear only after Guardhouse construction.

2) Introduce battle ships and forts artillery, (make slots for guns in both instances) that the battle has been exactly artillery between ships and fortresses
and in each case have their bonuses. Ships artillery could be used on shore in case the blockade the port of the enemy.

3) If possible, make interaction among the different armed forces - Infantry, cavalry and cannons.(Now the tactical differences between them are minimal)

It would be great if there would be such upgrade from Veterans to Continentals (Like it was in Colonization I) but that would need changing in the units textures, so the veterans and continentals would not look like so similiar (Hope I spelled it right)

The firing at ships from fortress would be great too :)

And the Militia would be nice, but thats the problem in this game:
Free Colonist > Profession Soldier is named = Soldier
Veteran Soldier > Profession Soldier is named= Soldier

Now if I change the name of profession to Militia, the veterans are known as militia too lool, BUT I already have an Idea...

Maybe it would be possible to make a new Profession known as Militia, which would use less muskets and gets fewer icombat
Then the soldier Profession should be available to Veteran soldiers ONLY and needs more muskets.

I hope you know what I mean :)

I know this is possible:
Rename of Professions

What I think it is possible:
Create New Profession

What I Don't know if it's possible:
make a Profession available to only 1 unit class ?

so the veterans and continentals would not look like so similiar (Hope I spelled it right)

:) above all - seems understandable. (By the way, i just try do not think about my lexical and syntactical errors...)

There are three ways to correct uniform difference:

1)Use Continental Army soldier animation from Civ4 "War of Independence" scenario. Soldier coat have darkest color and a slight difference in details. So need just choose between animations and soldiers (veteran/continental)

2)Cope with 3DMAX and make new skin by myself. This is a longest way, but gained experience will be useful in next tasks

3)Ask the help from somebody experienced, for example from Buddy3101 - see his work http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10915

1)Use Continental Army soldier animation from Civ4 "War of Independence" scenario. Soldier coat have darkest color and a slight difference in details. So need just choose between animations and soldiers (veteran/continental)

This sounds like a brilliant idea.. Hope you nail this one...

When it comes to combat system. I tried raising the combat number +1 for soldiers/dragoons except natives. I did not touch the defence. And played a few hours with it. I liked that much better. The indians still managed to beat me. But not as much as before. I also played around with the kings troops when it comes to city attack ect. Lowered it to 100 and raised my soldiers to 75. This is only for test purposes. Will see how it goes when i declare independence.

I did not know where to find these things until you wrote this post.

But overall i think my games play smoother now. I am not totally killed off once the indians start attaking me. Now they are more of a great annoyance. hehe. They prob. win about 25-40% of battles instead of 60-70 percent before i did this change. The high rate they had before my change is prob. because of my gamestyle. I really not not buy much military and fight until a while into the game. So i dont get the promotions very often. But then again the promotions may make my soldiers ubersoldiers now. We will see...

The Idea of the Civ4 War of Independence Sceraio is great, but I don't have it at home right now, have to wait until I get it back so it will take some time :) BUt thanks very much for these Ideas :)

Shadow_AUT

Firing at sea targets on first stage can be performed with "Walk around" - to make invisible and immovable unit appears in the city after fort building.
For completed variant (with cannons in positions) will be necessary changes not only in C++ code but also in the game interface.

About militia - I must explain my idea.
We can divide all military formations to 3 subordination levels:

1) Under authority of Kingdom government (King)
This is a regular army with battle experience and resource base of all kingdom.

2) Under authority of local government (Governor)
Regular or irregular units with local basement for local targets. Resources - by local authority ability.

3) Armed colonists - organized in case of emergency (indian attack, bandits etc... )

Professional soldiers must be in regular army , can be in militia and between armed colonists (immigrants and mercenaries). Differences just in organization and resources (guns, uniform,ammo,supply). In our case that must be modifiers in properties.

We already have Regulars ( King's army) but don't have him in rebels army (Continental) and Veteran soldiers/colonists ("De facto" - colonial militia). Armed colonists as attackers are absent in the game (except of the Scout). As yet i don't have clear idea for this item, but need to make few experiments...

Shadow_AUT - If you want - give me check few items and I can send you needed files.

Gomer_Pyle - thank you for evidence. Just now i seen in the code using for iCombat modifier. Be continued :)

I would need the Models of these Continental Regulars (and need to know whats their name in the xml files to implement them) from Civilization 4 scenario, right now, I solved my problem with militia troops.

Now there is the Profession: Soldier
Every Colonist can be Soldier, so I change the Name of it to Militia and change the Comba attribute if necessary so they are not too strong, but not too weak.

Add Profession: Continental (or Regular etc..)
This Profession will be available to veteran soldiers only, it will need more muskets and some horses, the combat strength will be higher then miltia

mfg

Shadow_AUT

Changing the combat/attack values on the units is weird.

Civ4UnitInfos:

UNIT_VETERAN:

<iCombat>0</iCombat>

UNIT_REGULAR:

<iCombat>0</iCombat>
<iCityAttack>50</iCityAttack> <= This is the bonus i gather.

UNIT_NATIVE:

<iCombat>0</iCombat>
<iXPValueAttack>4</iXPValueAttack> ???
<iXPValueDefense>2</iXPValueDefense> ???

UNIT_CANNON:

<iCombat>3</iCombat>
<iCityAttack>100</iCityAttack> My setting: 75
<iCityDefense>50</iCityDefense> My setting: 50

UNIT_ARTILLERY:

<iCombat>4</iCombat>
<iCityAttack>150</iCityAttack> My setting: 100
<iCityDefense>50</iCityDefense> My setting: 50

Why does native have values on attack defence in CIV4UnitInfos and not veteran and regular not to mention militia? Anyways the only changes i did in this file was on cannon and artillery. And that is because they are not found in CIV4ProfessionInfos. And that file is the one that really decides the strength of the units.

CIV4ProfessionInfos:

PROFESSION_SOLDIER:

<iCombatChange>3</iCombatChange> My setting: 4
<iPower>100</iPower>

PROFESSION_DRAGOON:

<iCombatChange>4</iCombatChange> My setting: 5
<iPower>150</iPower>

PROFESSION_BRAVE:

<iCombatChange>2</iCombatChange> My setting: 2
<iPower>0</iPower> My setting: 0

PROFESSION_MOUNTED_BRAVE:

<iCombatChange>2</iCombatChange> My setting: 2
<iPower>50</iPower> My setting 50

PROFESSION_ARMED_BRAVE:

<iCombatChange>3</iCombatChange> My setting: 3
<iPower>100</iPower> My setting: 75

PROFESSION_ARMED_MOUNTED_BRAVE:

<iCombatChange>3</iCombatChange> My setting: 3
<iPower>150</iPower> My setting: 100

I have to say that even if the game seems better. I think maybe we should put some effort into finding out what <iPower> does. I think maybe it is what tells what kind of punch is behind the attack.

Well i do not know much of these things. But if anyone think they may have an idea i think these 2 files are the way to go. My biggest concern is to not make kings armies and natives impossible to deal with.

Shadow_AUT
I have RARed soldiers graphic file from Civ4 (Brown, Red and Blue coats) to send for you. Give me you E-mail.

But i must say that these soldiers are ugliest then Colonization soldiers and i have much better idea: Here is simply to change the skin. Until Sunday i will do it.

Ups... Forgot to say: May be there is much simplest way get animation for continental army by using "Regulars" graphic (include Regular dragon). His coat in the skin have "magenta" color, that mean ANY color (Red for British, Blue for Sweden etc...).

Seems you just need change <Type>CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND</Type>
<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_WHITE</DefaultPlayerColor>

in the Civ4CivilizationInfos

to PLAYERCOLOR_DARK_BLUE

Gomer_Pyle

I was searching the code and define that iPower not used in combat functions

From what I've read,

a 4th Rate was concidered a very large Frigate.

During Napoleonic Wars:
Frigates, even 2 deckers with up to 44 Guns are considered 6th and 5th Rate.

Warships with 2 decks,48-80 Guns are considered Ships of the Line 4th and 3rd Rate.
Warships with 3 Decks, 90-120 Guns are Ships of the line 2nd and 1st Rate.

But thats not important, I renamed my ships to 3rd and 2nd Rate right now.
I wanted some Frigate Variations too, but there are no models for frigates :)

How you doing with adding the Continental soldiers? I am really interested to know when u have done this so i can add it into my game too. If u will allow this. :)

mhm right now, I see only 1 logical way to do it:

I will create a new profession with the name "Continental"
This Profession will use the model of the unarmed veteran soldier
This Profession will be available only to veteran soldiers, and will get better combat stats.

then I will make veteran soldiers (which will be renamed to Line Infantry) teachable at university, as explained above, this units are the only units which can be Continentals)

Teachable Continentals, which are able to use the profession of Line infantry.
No other land units will be able to use profession of the line infantry.

Standart soldier profession will be renamed to Militia, so the civilians can be militia units.

At the End we have:
Militia Profession for all civilians
and
Line Infantry Profession for Military teached units only, wehich will need more muskets and some horses to be equiped and with better combat stats than Militia.

How you doing with adding the Continental soldiers? I am really interested to know when u have done this so i can add it into my game too. If u will allow this. :)

By very interesting way :) .
In the \Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml placed "negative" information. For example English colonies section include

=======================================
<Type>CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND</Type>
<Units>
<Unit>
<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_REGULAR</UnitClassType>
<UnitType>NONE</UnitType>
</Unit>
</Units>
<Professions>
<Profession>
<ProfessionType>PROFESSION_BRAVE</ProfessionType>
<bValid>0</bValid>
</Profession>
<Profession>
<ProfessionType>PROFESSION_MOUNTED_BRAVE</ProfessionType>
<bValid>0</bValid>
</Profession>
<Profession>
<ProfessionType>PROFESSION_ARMED_MOUNTED_BRAVE</ProfessionType>
<bValid>0</bValid>
</Profession>
<Profession>
<ProfessionType>PROFESSION_ARMED_BRAVE</ProfessionType>
<bValid>0</bValid>
</Profession>
</Professions>
=====================================
That mean units and professions ILLEGALS for specified civilization. Enough change UNITCLASS_REGULAR to NONE (and don't forget about iEuropeCost in CIV4UnitInfos.xml ) - and we can get Regular Dragon (his default specialization) in the docks. But his coats will be in white-grey colors/

Can you now make it so that all ur veteran soldiers gets upgraded to Continental after u declare independence? Like an event action or something. And keep the Continental profession hidden until that? And once u declare independece u will get continentals instead of veteran soldiers when u train them in college? It seems a bit advanced to make line infantry ect. But then again what i described above may be impossible.

But good to know somebody is working on this. Really makes me wanna keep trying this game. :)

Brilliant work guys!!!

Top Bottom