Some Middle Eastern Units and some other stuff

As he says, Walter Hawkwood was the one that supplied a lot of the Osprey references, without these things would be a *lot* harder and there would also be a lot less units. I also used DBA online sometimes, but one should not, as a general rule, use DBA online as your only reference as sometimes the art in that site is rather off. I don't want to criticize it too bad, as it is the work of multiple different artists and researchers, but some of them are very bad and it is sometimes hard to separate the good sets from the bad ones so it's generally best to proceed with caution. If you don't already know, a sister DBA site also has some short essays on different army sets which are sometimes very nice and well researched. As these notes include painting tips and other such things, they are sometimes invaluable. But once again, you should proceed with caution, some refernce good sources, some don't.
I studied middle eastern history (focused on 900-1200) and wrote my senior thesis on it, even though it was not focused on warfare, I had some written sources to rely on. I also consulted other sources such as the hadith for the early islamic packs to figure out what type of turban they wore. There were also plenty of other miscellaneous research things like that, while historical accuracy is sometimes a false claim as no one can know for *sure* how the common medieval soldier dressed, in these packs you will find very little complete "asspulls", they were all pretty well researched and where sources were sketchy, I tried to make educated guesses.
In general, this pack was a labor of love as while I love ancient middle eastern history as well as east Asian history, medieval middle eastern history is actually what I focused on in college.

While that's not an exclusive source, I can at least vouch that I'm supplying Bakuel with Osprey Men-at-Arms and Elite series books on subjects he's making at any given moment. That alone is quite a lot of research - and I'm pretty sure that he doesn't stop at it. DBAOL's designs are often quite arbitrary; I wouldn't rely on them that much.

Oh yes...DBOL is quite arbitrary. Osprey's Men-at-Arms along with their other works are excellent resources. Their publications have been around for some time and were/are used a lot by scale modelers and hobbyists. Naturally, they are just as relevent when it comes to 3d art.

As he says, Walter Hawkwood was the one that supplied a lot of the Osprey references, without these things would be a *lot* harder and there would also be a lot less units. I also used DBA online sometimes, but one should not, as a general rule, use DBA online as your only reference as sometimes the art in that site is rather off. I don't want to criticize it too bad, as it is the work of multiple different artists and researchers, but some of them are very bad and it is sometimes hard to separate the good sets from the bad ones so it's generally best to proceed with caution. If you don't already know, a sister DBA site also has some short essays on different army sets which are sometimes very nice and well researched. As these notes include painting tips and other such things, they are sometimes invaluable. But once again, you should proceed with caution, some refernce good sources, some don't.
I studied middle eastern history (focused on 900-1200) and wrote my senior thesis on it, even though it was not focused on warfare, I had some written sources to rely on. I also consulted other sources such as the hadith for the early islamic packs to figure out what type of turban they wore. There were also plenty of other miscellaneous research things like that, while historical accuracy is sometimes a false claim as no one can know for *sure* how the common medieval soldier dressed, in these packs you will find very little complete "asspulls", they were all pretty well researched and where sources were sketchy, I tried to make educated guesses.
In general, this pack was a labor of love as while I love ancient middle eastern history as well as east Asian history, medieval middle eastern history is actually what I focused on in college.

Agreed and I feel Osprey publications are a blessing as a reference in that they offer an historic interpretation in the form of colored drawings as well as some background. Seemingly, the research and art that goes into making an accurate unit is often far more fun and satisfying than playing with it in the game? In effect, historic military modeling but on a computer instead of a work table.

Fantastic units ........... as usually ;)
Already downloaded .......... as usually :)
Bravo ! ............. as usually :lol:

Thanks I never actually noticed the suggestion of Import/Export in blender. I have been trying this but keep gettting this error message..

I figured out where the Map Input was and changed it to UV but now the error message is "Create a UV map for every texture and run the script again"

So, stumped again...

Edit: I finally got it figured out. I had to right click on the unit while in Blender to select it.. then it would export just fine. Thanks for the link.. I had read over that before but totally forgot about it.

It has been about a month now, so I'm starting to get "Bakuel-withrawal." I was just wondering when the... uh, I think you said Indians and Russians would be ready?

:drool:

WHERE IS THE MAMELK SWORDSMAN?
i CAN'T FIND IT.

BAKUEL, WHEN TO DO NEW UNITS?, YOU ARE THE BEST UNITS MAKER, THEY ARE MORE HISTORICAL, TNKS.

The Mamluk pack on the first page contains the following:

Mamluk Archer
Mamluk Cavalry
Mamluk Crossbowman
Mamluk Heavy Cavalry
Mamluk Heavy Cavalry
Mamluk Heavy Cavalry
Mamluk Horse Archer
Mamluk Swordsman

You just need to scroll down.

The problem is that mamluk's sworsman doesn't appear in Egyptian Middle Age Unit Pack 's zip.

I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to catch that mistake! The swordsman should be there now.

New units should be here soon. I'm hoping in time for Christmas, but it may end up some time in January. India is the focus.

I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to catch that mistake! The swordsman should be there now.

New units should be here soon. I'm hoping in time for Christmas, but it may end up some time in January. India is the focus.

Awesome, hopefully my computer is ready to go by then, the one I am using now is crap and can not support the stuff I was doing on my other one. I could get a new one, which I probably will, but I need to get all of my old files back. It has been extremely annoying. Bakuel's India units should be awesome... :goodjob:

...not that I have a reason to think so.

Whoo! I can't wait until the new units get here! :D

I'm also looking forward to seeing the Indian (and hopefully Pakistani) units. I finally got everything sorted out with my insurance company, so I am begining to get the rust off and start back up on my mod and my leaderheads. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with, and I was just wondering if you still planned on creating Renaissance/Industrial era Greeks (Cuirassier, Musketman, Rifleman, Grenadier, Cannon, Cavalry)?

I'm glad your back to modding in full swing!
There won't be any Greek units this time. But there will be enough, more than enough, for Pakistan.

Sorry for the late reply stolenrays, I thought I responded to your question, but it seems I didn't.
There are a variety of units in the pack which could be used for pakistan's medieval and ancient age. For Pakistan, there are Mauryan, Indo-Saka, Kushan, Pre-Mughal Islamic, Mughal, and often variations in each pack so there are plenty of units to pick and choose over.
By this point it's really up to the individual modder's tastes.

Top Bottom