Some Republicans are dumb

I don't know about you, but I have a memory of a lot of facts which occurred prior to my own birth

Then you don't have past life amnesia. :(

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

The worst thing Obama can do is make a public show of support for the protestors. That would play right into Achmedjihad's hands.

Better to make a big show of being neutral while helping the dissidents under the table.

Just what complete idiots are these Republicans who are calling on Obama to come off the fence over the Iranian elections.
The USA has had a habit of sticking it's nose into other counties affairs even when they are democracies( Iran, Chile)
There are three countries which should not say a bloody word concerning Iran,Israel ( Mossadd helped the shah set up his thugs ) Britain and the USA.
Think stating you can trust us we have changed will work after Iraq ?
The Iranians have long memories, they have not forgotten 1953.
Pity those Republicans read no history.

I don't think they really want to get involved. They just see this thing as an opportunity to criticize Obama. If Obama did take a side the Republicans would criticize him for getting involved.

Then again, you never really know with Republicans.

Glad to see you convenient memory finally recovered.

No, my point stands. I admire your ability to preserve the memory of your past lives.

Some democrats are dumb - some people are dumb - some cats are dumb! I don't see where this thread is going :run:

Awesome, a real-life Bart Simpson! Hadn't seen that one before.

Some Democrats are dumb. /topic

Dumb people are not confined to any one group, party, ideology or whatever, people with bad ideas find there way into everything.

Dumb people are not confined to any one group, party, ideology or whatever, people with bad ideas find there way into everything.
I imagined your tar stating that.:lol:

Iran isn't really a democracy, supreme authority stems from the Ayatollah and his clergy, which are NOT elected.

Nonetheless, I agree with Cutlass that getting the US entangled can only result in a mess.

Ah, you mean a copy of the USA system where the bloke who got the less popular votes is appointed president by a court.
Funny, I do not hear people saying the USA was not a democracy.

Considering that 2/r3rds of the population is under 30, I don't see how you can say the have long memories of things they never experienced.

Unless you think Jung was on to something, lol.

Ah, you mean a copy of the USA system where the bloke who got the less popular votes is appointed president by a court.
Funny, I do not hear people saying the USA was not a democracy.

I'm unclear on this, but think that Ahmadinejad would have won anyways, just not by anything remotely close to the margin reported. It's more like Putin, cheating in an election that he was going to win anyways just because he doesn't have the stones to take the risk.

That said, their elections overall don't look that bad for a dictatorship. But never forget that the ruling clerics tolerate a bit of democracy to appear to exist, but that democracy is not going to pass any law that the clerics don't approve beforehand. So no, Iran is not a democracy. Though it might be slightly closer to one than the Soviet Union used to be.

The hopeful signs are that, first, it's getting the population accustomed to multiparty elections. Which is a problem in other nations that may transition to democracy at some point in the future. And second that there are mass movements with mass communication so that the government's control of thought and voice is diminished, which leads to more opportunity for a mass movement for change.

Maybe Obama should make a very low key statement in support, but one that is encouraging but not confrontational. It's a fine line to walk, but I think going further would have too much potential to backfire.

Top Bottom