Some Very Bad News

Bowsling

Deity
I logged in earlier this morning. I was figuring out how long it would take for our future caravels to circumnavigate, when, to my dismay, I discovered this:
Spoiler :

(Go-To won't allow the trireme to go any further.

(Note the minimap)

This means that X-wrapping has been turned off, which, therefore means circumnavigation is impossible. I'm not sure whether the administrators knew about this, because if they did, I am rather disappointed that they failed to mention the X-wrapping is off.

Attachments

• circumnav1.JPG
    circumnav1.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 331
  • circumnav2.JPG
    circumnav2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 322
So if X-wrapping is turned off that definitely kills the circumnavigation bonus? Or will the bonus still fire if we reveal at least one tile for the entire length of the axis (with two ships going opposite directions like we planned)?

I'm pretty sure that no X-wrapping kills the circumnavigation. It's like on most scenarios and many maps (such as crossroads of the world)- you don't get +1 naval movement for reaching the extreme edges of the map as far as I know. I'll probably do some tests, but if it doesn't work this really screws up our plans. At least we can use those caravels against Mavericks.

We could ask the admins about this, but its probably best not to post on the main forum, so that maybe one team will make this discovery the hard way.

Just checked the game to be sure and there is no y-wrap either. So we are on a flat map script and that means no circumnav bonus. :( Guess this explains why the other teams weren't scrambling for optics... :think:

Anyways, we are lucky Bowsling discovered this before we started out on our race to a non-existent prize. Good save Bowsling!

Based on the tile count it seems unlikely that there are any little easter egg islands out there. So it looks like our navy can be dedicated to destroying the Mavs for the time being :)

Yeah, a circumnavigation bonus would be kind of silly on a flat map, because the message that comes up is "Our maps have proved the world is round."

This does not show up on the options (F8) screen? That would be really disappointing the mapmakers did not indicate this and wrapping really is off.

I didn't actually know what you did there proves whether world-wrap is on, I always thought it limited how far you could travel in the fog like that anyway. But if so, guess that's that. It doesn't so much screw up anything major, if nobody can get a bonus, not a huge deal (and the Caravels would be quite useful for military anyway, it cannot hurt to have a decent navy right now).

I didn't expect there to be much in the way of islands out at sea anyway though. But thanks for updating all of us on this.

That pissies me off. DId we know this before hand? Maybe the world is toroidal?

It can't be toroidal if it has no wrap - if what is posted here is right, and I have no reason to think it isn't, though I've never been an expert in this I guess, then we don't have either x or y wrap.

Given the map shape I actually am pretty disappointed with this though. Toroidal would have been pretty cool if we think about it. The problem with a flat world is it results in some teams being a much greater distance away from each other - since this was such a symmetrical or "balanced" map anyway you'd think the mapmakers would know that, and things end up kinda arbitrary over which teams end up close enough to seriously interact throughout most of the game in war or trade or whatever.

Top Bottom