Spanish general election 2019

And if that had been the standard for joining the EU or changing its treaties

For joining I made a post a year ago or so that I prefer a >67% majority from the two chambers of parliament plus on top a >67% majority of the people in a referendum.

But for changes....
To have referendums in every member state with a veto on changes means a full freeze in a changing world.... is not going to work.
Better be clear about that so that members uncommitted to the Single Market consequences can leave ASAP the Single Market and withdraw to a customs union.
Leaving the burden of compliance to EU standards to their exporting companies. And do mind: big corporate will not really mind this (they just move plants and whine a bit in public on the capital destruction), and neither top-notch niche smaller companies... it is all the normal SME that will struggle or withdraws to the national economies only.

If you marry up... you are not going to contemplate divorce when discussing buying a new car....
and staying with cars... if the EU is increasing green standards of cars to protect the EU car industry, to protect jobs against Chinese imports...as part of a wider fundamental change of trade strategy happening now... does that need referenda ?
Does the decision on Huawei 5G needs referenda ? It will have a major very long term impact.

Is there already info on how votes moved between parties compared to the last national election ?
Also on in how far the big loss of the PP is explained ? How much of PP went to Vox ?
Who benefiited most of the high turn-out ?

Here you have. I saw it on twitter, it is from a paper called El Mundo. But I was not able to find the new in their website.

Spoiler :

I don't trust it too much as it is saying that about 150k people who voted Podemos is now voting for VOX. It may be truth, but honestly, I don't think so.

I don't trust it too mucho as it is saying that about 150k people who voted Podemos is now voting for VOX. It may be truth, but honestly, I don't think so.

That's a bit odd indeed !

The graph as such is very good: shows the movements including those from abstained 2016 and the new voters.
(What I technically miss is the arrow of voters that died since 2016, otherwise it would be a perfect graph :))

The high turnout good for PSOE. I hope they keep that up in a next election.

BTW, 26th May will be local elections, where we vote in order to elect all councillors in the municipalities, and elections for European Parliament.
This means that until then, there may be contacts for government agreements, but likewise nothing will be announced.

I don't trust it too much as it is saying that about 150k people who voted Podemos is now voting for VOX. It may be truth, but honestly, I don't think so.

Neither do I. VOX failed to take any of the "populist" stands that, say, the LN took in Italy, and that could have "stolen" votes from the left. It is all about spanish nationalism and francoism. It's a split of the PP, with the worst of it, and that is where its votes transfered from.

It is also its limitation and the reason it won't be much of a worry.

It still got a lot of votes, though. Maybe percentage-wise it is similar to GD (6, something in the last election, but it may do a bit better in the next general one, who knows; afaik polls place it at 7-7,5%) percentage-wise (?) but that means over four times more actual votes than GD.
Still less than what is going on in Hungary percentage-wise, but not a pretty picture.

But it has nor converted anyone, not does it signal a shift in public mood. Those most extreme of ideas were always there, inside PP. And in power! Perhaps it is for the better in the long run that they are now moving outside that party, and into a smaller one.

Top Bottom