Speculation: Firaxis Working on X-Com Remake?

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
According to recent Gamespot and BigDownload articles, Firaxis may be designing a new version of the X-Com game series. The X-Com series was created by MicroProse, and Take-Two, upon purchasing Firaxis in 2005, gained the rights to the X-Com intellectual property.

From Gamespot:
The tweets read: "Apparently, there's a rumor that X-Com is being developed by Firaxis, which I wouldn't find hard to believe. I swear that I read they're working on a sci-fi game somewhere...The rumor is that there's two X-Com games--[an] FPS from Irrational and [a] turn-based one from Firaxis."

2K Boston is working on a new X-Com game of some sort, with a shooter spin-off being a strong possibility. As far as a second turn-based X-Com game from Firaxis is concerned, it would be the stuff of old-school gamers' dreams. And, as Fallout 3's massive sales proved, a critically acclaimed reboot of a classic franchise can reap massive rewards.

Keep in mind that while the creation of a new X-Com game is presumed underway, potential involvement by Firaxis is not.

Thanks to raymundo and Modeltrainman for the news tip.

Awesome. I did a double take when saw this. But I can't seem to find info on the "a new X-Com game is confirmed"

Awesome. I did a double take when saw this. But I can't seem to find info on the "a new X-Com game is confirmed"

Such a scenario appears to have been confirmed this week, when Superannuation dug up the resume of a 3D artist who worked for 2K Australia from January 2007 until April 2008. The resume lists the artist as working on two projects during that time: "Bioshock (Xbox 360, PC Game)" and "X-Com (Xbox 360, PC Game)."

I have edited the post above to show that technically it has not been confirmed, but instead very likely.

Anyone think I should try to ask?

I've been waiting for a decent installment in the x-com series since terror from the deep and apocalypse, I've learned to not set my hopes too high ;)

I've been waiting for a decent installment in the x-com series since terror from the deep and apocalypse, I've learned to not set my hopes too high ;)

I loved the original. A lot! Terror from the deep was SO lame though, I didn't play any of the other follow ups.

Wouldn't mind seeing a new one at all.
F

How dare you say that about terror from the deep ;) I agree the oridinal was better and I believe if you researched things in the wrong order, something related to the lobster man you couldnt't ever beat the game ;)

Does that mean i'll have to scrap a personal project to implement a Civ4 mod inspired by the X-Com series?
Someone here may know me from around the GalCiv2 forums where i already made such stuff; http://library.galciv2.com/index.aspx?m=748

Although i also "created" a similar X-Com mod for Civ2 waaaayyyyy back when (which, IIRC is still on the Apolyton site!), i must say that IF Firaxis guys (along with 2K) has yet another project scheduled to give us gamers a sequel to the original X-Com gameplay behemoth of a tactical combat (and soooo much more, btw) legend... i'll certainly pump out the cash for a precious copy - absolutely, tomorrow, right away.

Only question is, would it **BE** a true modernized X-Com game?

God YESSSSS. My alltime favourite game ever in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God it's Firaxis who makes it, they know turn based games, and they're not afraid to use it. Unlike Bethesda:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If this is true, this is far bigger than Civilization for me. I adored that game. I just hope they can recreate that scary feeling you got when under a terror mission at night against the snakemen and the zombie-making guys.

I miss Microprose.

I heard that they're working on a remake of Machiavelli: The Prince, or was it Masters of Magic? Maybe it was Z. No, wait, how could I have forgotten? It will be a turn based version of Total Annihilation.
The original X-COM: UFO Defense from Microprose was one of the most challenging PC games ever released. I still have it and play it occasionally via the admirable DOSBOX utility. If Firaxis is actually working on a remake here's hoping that they retain some of the original game's elements rather than turning it into another chrome-laden idiot FPS.

awesome! the orginal x-com is ine of my all time favs

i'd like to see what sids people could do with this firaxis make good games. but i somewhat fear they will make it simpler and almost into a Command And Conquer game. I hope not however as I like a game I struggle with at basic difficulty's.

slightly off topic not much

in terror from the deep what is better gauss or sonic weapons? Please help!!!!!! :sad:

2 games of X-Com! Count me in for the turn-based version from Firaxis!

Top Bottom