Speculation: Firaxis Working on X-Com Remake?

Love to. However, I can't buy things online, and I have no desire to do anything illegal.

I loved the original. A lot! Terror from the deep was SO lame though, I didn't play any of the other follow ups.

Wouldn't mind seeing a new one at all.
F

Know why TFTD was so lame? Answer this question....'So, how far CAN you throw a grenade under water?':eek:

As far as a Firaxis new X-com? Dear God, yes, let this be true.

I'd buy it if I could. Actually, there are other games only released on Steam that I want, but can't buy any of them.

I noticed this version is supposedly vista compatible. Have any of you tried it? I've tried to play my old version on XP and there is no timer control in that game, so it's very hard to play and looks pretty goofy. The slowest setting on the globe screen is almost too fast.

I'm an avid fan of some of the old DOS games. CPU's are so fast now relative to the times that these games were created that some of them won't even install (Error 200). I recommend a utility called CPUkiller3, available HERE. It costs $29.50 to register and you can download it for free to try it out. The program has a lot of nice features and it's highly configurable. You can even set it to launch when you play a game and then exit once you've finished.
There are several freeware utilities out there. A Google search for "CPU slowdown utility" will find a bunch of them for you.

I'm an avid fan of some of the old DOS games. CPU's are so fast now relative to the times that these games were created that some of them won't even install (Error 200). I recommend a utility called CPUkiller3, available HERE. It costs $29.50 to register and you can download it for free to try it out. The program has a lot of nice features and it's highly configurable. You can even set it to launch when you play a game and then exit once you've finished.
There are several freeware utilities out there. A Google search for "CPU slowdown utility" will find a bunch of them for you.

I play alot of old games with DOSbox, and that works great. I haven't tried xcom with it though. I'm just wondering if it might be worth the $5 to get a copy that works with modern OS natively, if indeed that's what they are selling.

Thanks God it's Firaxis whose doing this remake (if the rumor is true).

Fingers crossed. Excellent news, can't wait.

So there's been speculation on this for a week, but nothing confirmed. I bet Firaxis is working on nothing. They announced the Facebook thing, but I bet they haven't even started, not that I would be interested in such a thing. I haven't detected a pulse coming from the Firaxis HQ in a good long time. I sure wouldn't mind seeing some signs of life.

I play alot of old games with DOSbox, and that works great. I haven't tried xcom with it though. I'm just wondering if it might be worth the $5 to get a copy that works with modern OS natively, if indeed that's what they are selling.

I've (LONG) bought the X-com series on Steam and one thing: It isn't native.
They've simply shipped it with DosBox. (and dosbox is vista-compatible)

Doesn't really matter that much because it works either way ;)

I seem to be one of the few people who liked X-com Apocalypse. That was a great game. It was always funny when organisations went to war with you or got taken over by the aliens, and there was a better variety of locations and environments than in the other games.

That's all well and good. I may get the game. But truly I just want to hear something about CIV5.

If they're truly doing a remake I've got just three Words: Laser Squad Nemesis

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Last game I bought was CIV IV (with expansion) and I would fall for a X-COM game!

Each time I seem to get away from gaming, Sid found a way to pull me right back in! :D

This is such a great news that i needed to make my first post ever on it! :p

Top Bottom