spies, continued

Finally check the save.

One bad news - Frederick still has 6 cities and is just 2 turns away from Feudalism. Should we agree with a cease-fire if there will be too strong defended in his last cities ?

Regards

Not looked at the save, so this is speculative:

My gut feeling would be to push on for a while.

We have catapults/Str 6 Melee combo, which with bombarding and a sacrificial cat can take a longbow cities fairly well? Also he won't be able to grab too many longbows right away - they take a little while to build/upgrade. Will slow up the advance, but it's quite doable?

I'd take a ceasefire if things go bad for us and/or our army needs reinforcements and a break.

Or like was suggested earlier, vasalise him?

Sorry guys - too tired for the moment to play ( and probably this day I'll be very busy at work - anyway, the change of hours between Romania and India still kill me ). If you don't want to wait until Friday - please skip me this turn.

Regards

I could play today, if thats ok with the team.

Mitiu, You still can play tomorrow then, technically this would mean a swap :) .

preflight check:

We are down to 20% research, war weariness is up to 3 unhappy citizens, and since we have already 12 cities I make the decission to stop the war aggainst germany right now!
Besides, we have a big amount of spy points on germany, eliminating them would do us no good.

But not before we get a Great general from the war!

Most of our cities are confused, and we are in org religion civic without having a state religion. I do some trades...

and revolt to Confuzianism for my turnset.

With the money I upgrade some troops (sword->mace, warrior->spear, archer->Xbow).

In my turns I will try to recover the economy, so we can afford another war afterwards. This includes new workers, as we have only seven for our dirty dozen of cities!

I´d like to revolt to slavery for whipping some infra, but since we are already in Caste System, I will use that to our advantage.
We won´t generate many great spies from now on, so lets stick with the good ol´scientists, will ya?

turn 1: Kill some german troops and get a great general, then I pillage some roads (which I regret, cause our spies are slowed, too) and sign peace for aesthetics.

Big round of micromanaging our now happy citizens. I hire some scientists and merchants, so we can research at 30% with a surplus.

turn 2: Horseback Riding finishes, I start a quick detour to literature (2 turns) for national & heroic epic.
Although I could trade feudalism from Ghandi I´d rather steal it from freddy, so no tech trades for now.
Settle the Great General in Cretinberg, as this is our main military city, I think.

turn 3: Essen comes out of revolt and I starts a wall, it´s our northermost city and we get big discounts on it :cool:

turn 4: one of our spies get gought in munich :mad: Link
As a result, I change our espionage spending, every known civ gets an equal amount, the germans are not a threat any more, and wont have
good techs in the future, so we will steal from our other neighbors
Idiot Acadamy, our great capitol, finishes a market and that allows us to research at 40% spending for the time beeing :clap:
besides, I changed my mind and trade civil service to ghandi for feudalism, we will be lucky to steal philo from the germans alone
research is set towards optics, via compass, we want meet other civs soon

turn 5: :coffee: nothin´important, , here is an overview from around that time

Spoiler :

turn 6: :imagine builder smiley here:

turn 7: Frederick the bold plants a new city right next to our new border :gripe:

Spoiler :

For revenge I steal philosophy from him :p

In anticipation of optics I start 2 trireme on both of our coasts, they can be upgradet to caravels when the time comes

turn 8: sell Pericles Horseback Riding for 170 Gold, need more money for faster research
start Angkor What? in Berlin, so we can assign many priests there, we get a discount on it with our stone
start Forbidden Palce in Hamburg, as its the most central location (Beorn had it in the queue there, too)

turn 9: sell Gandhi Horseback Riding for 260 Gold and upgrade some troops
start National Epic in Great Idiot Farm
start Moai Statues in Fish in a pun as it has the most water tiles and again was in the queue by Beorn

turn 10: start Heroic Epic in Cretinburg, our main military city

:banana: sorry for all that national wonders, but these are the best places imho, if You disagree they can be stopped

turn 11: the next great person will appear in 3 turns, and the research on optics finishes then, so I will stop in three turns
start the trainig of new spies

turn 12&turn 13: many events throuhout the world, have a look for yourself:

Spoiler :

turn 14: optics finishes. I upgrade 2 trireme, they can explore new worlds next turn, start on paper as placeholder
against all odds...

...we get a Great Scientist, who is unmoved near our capital, use it at Your own pleasure
I was a bit dissappointed, as I was hoping on a Priest for our shrine, lets hope my backfill plan with Angkor Wat in Berlin will generate one :mischief:

Greetings from Sumer

Attachments

• AK-01 AD-1140.CivBeyondSwordSave
    251.6 KB · Views: 49
Good choice for the GGen; what's up on the tech side? We have religions alright, so I'd put an academy in the academy.

Awesome stuff Wenz. :)

Really nice turnset and a great report.

Fish in a pun amuses me!

The HE/Instructor in Cretinberg should be strong. Love that combo in a coastal city - find you can make some real world beating navies in rapid time.

On a personal note - I'm away this weekend, visiting relatives on the isle of wight - with not a computer to be seen... I should be able to pick a game up on Sunday, if one is available. So if you don't see a prompt got it, you know why.

For the Great scientist, acadamy sounds good, just check if Happytowne wouldnt be better in the long run for that, our cap cant support that much cottages food-wise. But there also the possibility to lightbulb Education when paper finishes.

But my suggestion is to use him for a Golden Age. We are getting ahead of the AI´s, so this should consolidate our advance.
We can build a strong army with the enhanced production, race for Liberalism with the research boost, get another GS real soon with extra Great Person points, and switch civics and religion instantly, infra+army-whipping and fast GP with pacifism for 10 turns come to mind (just don´t forget to switch back at the last turn!!).

Roster:
Mitiu Ioan - Up now!
wenz - swapped and just played
Trivial - on deck
Admiral Kutzov
Beorn-el-Feared

jeez, I take 2 days off and all hell breaks loose. :lol: nice set wenz. :thumbsup: I like the wonder builds. Still would like to keep one city on military just cause I'm paranoid. Bremen gets razed.

Played some uneventfull turns :

- sabotage some German improvments. One of our spy get caught. :(
- continue "Wonder Fest" - start to build University of Sankore in capital, almost finished it.
- contact some other civs ( probably all of them ). Mostly backwarded ...
- recovered somehow the economy - now could run 50% science.
- build some walls in order to have posibility to build castles ( researched Engineering too ) - because with stone those are easy to build and 1 comercial route could be helpfull in our situation. ;)

Personally I feel that the next player should redeclare and finnish the war against Frederick ... :mischief:

Here are two pictures and the save.

Regards all

Very very nice. We're all set for a nice :hammer: fest on the long run.

Trade routing castles is a good idea. Do we want to push our luck, build more troops and grab more land from Pericles after we're through with Freddie or get a few infra techs, builder style and start moving in again with cavalries and cannons?

This is where my civ4-challenged self is most clueless in the whole game: what to do as a big picture strategy. However, I do know that with the end of Fred's war this is going to be our #1 issue to debate.

I'm back in body, although the brain has a while to catch up! :)

Will have a think about plans. Initially kinda liking the idea of finishing off Freddie - prefer a dead opponent to a winged one. Beyond that I feel a consolidation is in order - get the economy firing on all cylinders - although it's looking pretty good now already at a glance?

All subject to how the save looks of course.

Call this a got it and I plan to play tomorrow night - after some much needed sleep!

Roster:
Mitiu Ioan - just played
wenz - swapped and played and started wonderfest
Trivial - up
Admiral Kutzov - on deck
Beorn-el-Feared

Just whack Freddie. We don't need no stinkin' vassals (yet)

Do we want to push our luck, build more troops and grab more land from Pericles after we're through with Freddie or get a few infra techs, builder style and start moving in again with cavalries and cannons?

Gut feeling is whack Pericles too. But we'll pause for some discussion.

Right - had a little look and have some thoughts!

Freddie is going down - Will DoW as soon as spies/final units are in place.

Figure the trade route idea has to be worth a go - lots of overseas areas and I've not really done it properly before.

Thinking medium term - this is a spy heavy game, so think the 3 spy techs are top priority - Nationalism, Democracy, Communism...

With an eye to hitting them fastest:

I'd like to switch to Education if that's OK with people? Get our tech rate up, we likely have a great scientist as the next great person - bulb liberalism and take astronomy as the freebie. Then chase spy techs with our university fueled tech rate.

How's that sit with people?

Bulbing and building before the beeline sounds good

I'm onboard with the bulbin and buildin too. We'll need to discuss pericles. Done right we may have a shot at him with the maces and jumbos. Make sure it makes sense to do it, but i'd put all EPs to Freddie then Pericles.

Hot Spying action:
A revolt in Cologne, which helped take the city. Go team ninja!

Short version:

We have captured 3 cities - troops are ready for more. We have a little WW. Reckon Bismark will be dead in ~10 turns.

Been building lots of ziggurats.

I missed AKs post before playing. Have distributed the spies differently... A first sorry. On the upside we can see most peoples research - but we will have to plant spies to get our last revolt on Bizzie now.

Education is in. Liberalism due in 8. We have a spare GS.

Unfortunately, it turns out they don't bulb as I expected... Printing Press is next, not liberalism. DOH! Second set of sorry from me.

At least we have a monopoly on Education - so we shouldn't have a problem getting liberalism.

Full version:
Spoiler :

It all looks nice when it loads! Nice economic recovery and things are all where they should be.

I swap for education and switch Cretinberg to push out some artillery - it's got the HE and might as well get full use out of it!

Decide to MM the EPs thusly:

We will build up on everyone. Get a last few to revolt Bizzies cities. Next war is likely with Pericles, so started on him. If not, it will at least prep us for some stealing.

Press enter.

1270AD (1) - jiggle some troops around to prep for the invasion.

1280AD (2) - declare war. Here's my (MSPaint) plan:

1 - heading for Dortmund with Artillery
2 - heading for Bremen with a spy.
3 - pillaging party to kill the Iron.
R - where reserves will gather and prep for support/an assault on Cologne.

Our new germanic cities revolt a little, but that was expected.

1290AD (3) - IBT our spy in Bremen is captured, which is a shame. Dortmund falls, but costs a mace at 75%. Shell Bremen a little.

1300AD (4) - University of Sankore finishes - nice. Capture Bremen. Pillage the German Iron - and the road - ought to slow them up a little. Prepare for Cologne. Shunt science to 40% so we can run at a profit.

1310AD (5) - Circumnavigate - prepare stacks for a smashing blow on Cologne.

1320AD (6) - Great Scientist (Ernest Rutherford) is born. Saved for the Liberalism bulb.

1330AD (7) - The SoD closes in.

1340AD (8) - The spy revolts Cologne. Catapults soften up the targets in the city. Lose all 3 that I use. Reduce the city to an injured Chariot and a catapult defending, but just fall short...

1350AD (9) - Cologne falls - only 2 cats and a chariot defending... More troops near.

1360AD (10) - nothing too exciting.

1370AD (11) - Education is in. Start the first university in our lovely capital. This is when I notice a flaw in my plan. The scientist will bulb Printing Press instead of Liberalism. DOH. Sorry about that - thought I knew that path properly. :(

Some idle thoughts:
Spoiler :

Was going to play to 1400 to even turns out/unmess the war, but we need to decide what to do with the scientist.

Three possible options:

1) Academy in Happytowne.
2) Golden age.
3) Bulb PP anyway.

I think 2) is better, possibly after the war. Currently the scientist is unmoved and awaiting a decision.

We have 5 cities with a touch of WW. Berlin has got a fairly bad case.

Forces as of now:
The stack in Cologne is healing, but needs some trebs/spies to make it work, unless the defenders are weak.
There is a mini stack shelling munich - defenses down - may be able to take that, but it's chancy.
2 Maces moving to the german island by galley.

Think Germany should be done soon. Then I think we need a strong consolidation.

It might be worth trading for drama - get theatres and run 10% culture to solve 90% of the WW problems?

If you want me to carry on and finish up my war mess, then give me a shout!

Attachments

• AK-01 AD-1370.CivBeyondSwordSave
    285 KB · Views: 48
I have it. Won't play til i'm sober, but overall looks good. Idiot's intuition, but think we're going to be playing with tanks and paras and some such. :cool: forgetta bout the sorries. I was wondering what I had missed with the bulbing. now that I know we can't bulb liberalism makes me all warm and fuzzy. oops, right, nobody but me wants to go there. sorry. ;)

In the next 17-20 hours, I'd like to see a consensus on short term and mid-term. B, that long term stuff is over-rated. haven't yet looked at the save, but thinking finish freddie, consolidate, line up for pericles.

@ trivial - no civ on the honeymoon? Does she know about civ? Congrats. Don't reproduce, you have to feed them; voice of experience... :crazyeye: :beer:

Top Bottom