1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Spoonwood's Hall of Fame Attempts

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Spoonwood, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

I played a standard space game with Sumeria with all the other scientific opponents, except Russia on Demigod. I popped an SGL on Writing and made the Pyramids. I entered my GA at the beginning of the industrial age and had mostly 4 turn research from there on out, except like 5 turns for a few techs in the industrial age, and 6 turns on Miniaturization. The AIs got me Replacable Parts, Synthetic Fibers, and just as I was going to start it, Satellites. I completed the Apollo Program sometime on July 20, 2019. And launched the spaceship in 980 AD.

The game did accidently crash the first time after the warrior struck the metal with his hammer, but worked the 2nd time. I closed MapFinder the 2nd time around... I wonder if that messed things up the 1st time around.

Edit: My free techs were Engineering (none of the AIs had it), Communism (ugh!), and Space Flight (yea!).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    templar_x likes this.
  2. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

When did you learn Republic/revolt and when did you reach tech parity?
    Space flight is a tier 2 tech, right? How did you get it as your free tech?

3. Spoonwood

Thanks for the questions jarred! I checked my 1000 BC save and it looks like I'm 1 turn away from learning Republic. I think I learned it, let the builds I had going on complete, and then revolted instead of revolting interturn using 'what's the big picture?'.

I'm not sure if I learned Currency before the AIs or slightly after them. I feel more sure that I learned Theology before any of them. Since I popped an SGL on Writing, it might get said I had tech parity by then or by the start of the middle ages.

Yes, Space Flight is a tier 2 tech (the only one I got in this game, unfortunately). I got it as my free tech by using 'what's the big picture?', gifting AIs up to the modern era until all 4 first tier techs, and then purchasing all of the first tier techs from AIs after that. I had purchased Monotheism and Feudalism earlier using the same method, but no one got Engineering, so that ended up as my free tech (it got have been Theology or Chivalry). The AIs got all first tier techs in the industrial era, but again, I got Communism as my free tech when Industrialization would have save some time, and Electricity would probably have saved even more time on the finish date.

4. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

Thanks for your response :)
    I am familiar with being a non scientific civ, gifting the scientific AI up to the next age, and buying their free techs. As a scientific civ I receive my free tech after gifting the first AI to the next age. (I use 'what's the big picture?' then go to the trade advisor and trade techs, but get kicked back to the 'new age' splash after the first trade.) How do you trade with multiple AI without being gifted a free tech yourself?

5. Spoonwood

I go the screen with their heads before doing trades. Then make the trades using that screen over and over again. Then the 'new age' splash screen gets turned off after I've done that by me. Doing that should give you a tech different than what you traded from the AIs.

jarred! likes this.