Spring Patch Info

I've said this a couple of times before on these forums but I feel the game is pretty great with nice new ideas and mechanics but it falls short when it comes to the AI using those mechanics properly. That goes for the new stuff that came with R&F as well. At first I liked the loyalty concept, hoping it would limit all the forward settling crap. But I now see civs later on in the game settling cities at completely stupid locations, right next to 2-3 big rival cities causing them to flip in 3-5 turns. Basically giving away cities. It just makes me sigh.
This game might work better in multiplayer but for me this is not the kind of game I want to play in multiplayer, takes too long.
^THIS!

I am hoping the delay is caused because someone realized that the ai doesn't know how to use an Air Force and that fixing it after 18 months is a good idea.

As long as it does not take them another 18 months, which given the present record (that it has already been that long), could be the minimum to expect... hopefully not.

In any case, communications...! Where is that funny, multi-color-haired lady that always appears when they want to sell us something, and is nowhere to be seen otherwise? Isn't she supposed to be the Comm Manager of sorts? Why is she not, well, communicating?

Silence is what creates all this speculative boredom, to the point that people started talking Weather...

As long as it does not take them another 18 months, which given the present record (that it has already been that long), could be the minimum to expect... hopefully not.

In any case, communications...! Where is that funny, multi-color-haired lady that always appears when they want to sell us something, and is nowhere to be seen otherwise? Isn't she supposed to be the Comm Manager of sorts? Why is she not, well, communicating?

Silence is what creates all this speculative boredom, to the point that people started talking Weather...

I might have started the infamous weather discussion. It is true. It was started out of boredom. Silence around firaxis causes players to refresh the patch tread on civfanatics about every hour in case of some more guidance on when content hits. It is a special kind of illness. You just cant start a new civ game. Must wait for the next update.

I might have started the infamous weather discussion. It is true. It was started out of boredom. Silence around firaxis causes players to refresh the patch tread on civfanatics about every hour in case of some more guidance on when content hits. It is a special kind of illness. You just cant start a new civ game. Must wait for the next update.

Yeah... the Internet illness. I remember I never had a problem in Civ 1 and even 2, because there was not patch to wait for! :lol::lol::lol: So you played with what you had, which was the first and usually the final version... bugs? Who cared about those? There was enough suspension of disbelief to, well, believe almost anything, and no forum or tube video to show you otherwise.

Not saying that I prefer that type of "ignorance is bliss" self-fooling, just remembering...

Ironically enough, gaming companies at that time, precisely because they had no easy way to fix something that was not right, made every effort to deliver a first version that could really stand the test of time and be considered a last version (a.k.a bugs minimized, top quality from the get go).

Of course, once again, with the advent of the wonder called Internet, came global instant communication... which brings a lot of power, but also the responsibility to communicate with your customer base... yes, I said responsibility. Shoot me.

Last edited:
I noticed that Aspyr hasn't done a Mac or Linux QA update since the "Patch Preview Oops". I wonder if this whole rigmarole has to do with cross-platform multi-player. Aspyr has repeatedly claimed that the issues preventing that feature are on the PC side. Maybe Firaxis is finally and belatedly getting serious about it.

I noticed that Aspyr hasn't done a Mac or Linux QA update since the "Patch Preview Oops". I wonder if this whole rigmarole has to do with cross-platform multi-player. Aspyr has repeatedly claimed that the issues preventing that feature are on the PC side. Maybe Firaxis is finally and belatedly getting serious about it.

On the other hand,afaik they did not even make Lnx or Mac up to date yet... even simple mods like the one I point to in my sig do not work on Mac or Lnx because, in my case, the mod extends a file that was only made extensible in the last patch for Win, while that same file remains in-extensible in Mac and Lnx.

She's part of the marketing team, hence only appearing when they want to sell us something.

She's part of the marketing team, hence only appearing when they want to sell us something.

If that is their interpretation of Marketing, it is a very narrow interpretation for these days, technologies, and markets.

The "funny, multi-color haired lady" does have a name, you know.

I'm sure all problems would be solved and people would never complain again if they came on here and said that it's not ready yet.

Yes, her, thanks. Can we now address the main point (lack of communication) instead of going down the tangents?

I'm sure all problems would be solved and people would never complain again if they came on here and said that it's not ready yet.

Why would also help a lot... it can only be "embarrassing" if it remains hidden from the public. People here are more forgiving than they seem to think (hence the silence), as long as good communication exists... which it does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping it drops soon. I want to start a new game and give Brazil a try with the Minas Gaeras soon

Yes, her, thanks. Can we now address the main point (lack of communication) instead of going down the tangents?

Firaxis does not owe us an explanation when they don't meet our deadlines in our heads. The fact is that Firaxis did communicate to us about the upcoming patch by releasing a video explaining what they are working on. They did not need to do that. They could have just said nothing and then surprised us with a patch when they were ready. But they took the time to release a video detailing some of the big changes that the patch will bring to the game. And Firaxis does communicate via social media. I've had nothing but positive communication with Sarah, Pete and the devs on Twitter.

Top Bottom