Spring Patch Info

you can watch it here -

So Pax Britannica gives a free melee unit upon founding a city on a foreign continent and upon completing a RNDY on a foreign continent. That's 2 free units.

I wonder if it also grants one when you conquer a city on a foreign continent that has a harbor that becomes a RNDY.

Just watched the video, very happy to see the progress being made in the game! I still have one question, however: will we ever see the trade option to bribe one civ to go to war with another, very much like in Civ V? I used to use it as a way to get the AI off my back and it would definitely be a welcome addition to Civ VI, especially on higher difficulties.

New England Strategy:
1:Build 10 Royal navy dockyard until the last turn
2: Unlock Redcoat
3: Finish all of the dockyards in 1 turn.
4: Conquer the world
5: A dockyard may cost 50~100 hammer, but it gives you a 340 hammer 75-strength redcoat instantly, making them super useful( and imbalanced).
Twaddle

1. How long does it take to get to redcoats
2. How well do you think you will do having not used all that production you sunk into 10 RNDY
3. How well do you think England will do with 10 less districts
4. Can you find 10 off continent cities? - yes they RNDY need to be off continent as well

You need 5 settlers off continent as it happens but they will loose to loyalty, especially as I said earlier with religion as well. Settler cost and a place to put them , its just rubbish, all crap. Compare it to better spies and its just Pants

I would have expected you to understand reality better than that lily

and the nobheads put vicky on the front like she is happy with this? PAH!

So Pax Britannica gives a free melee unit upon founding a city on a foreign continent and upon completing a RNDY on a foreign continent. That's 2 free units.

I wonder if it also grants one when you conquer a city on a foreign continent that has a harbor that becomes a RNDY.

As Vicky was so fond of saying herself, I bloody well hope so. That it has to be on a foreign continent after all is pretty grim.

Just watched the video, very happy to see the progress being made in the game! I still have one question, however: will we ever see the trade option to bribe one civ to go to war with another, very much like in Civ V? I used to use it as a way to get the AI off my back and it would definitely be a welcome addition to Civ VI, especially on higher difficulties.

It seems like that's the flip side to the "join an existing war using the original CB" thing. It's facilitated through the trade screen, so you could try to leverage bribery to get another civ to join your war with your original CB.

They showed bribing an AI to join an ongoing war in the background.

I'm surprised the discussion here is mainly only about England and turtles... ^^ Some of the additions sound really good to me:
- joint wars: yeah!
- religion and loyalty bind sounds reasonable to me and adding another layer of playing with the loyalty-system...
- balance adjustments are always good, although everyone will complain about them not being balanced enough! :p
- balance nerf for Magnus deeply needed, I always feel they are to cautious cutting down OP-stuff in a patch most of the time - we'll see
- THIS "Victorian" England is supposed to be militaristic - A second trade-oriented leader could change that. Considering this the buff is not that bad, encouraging you to build your RNDY and (correct me if I'm wrong) helps with settling elsewhere, too.
- more historic moments is good as well.

There's a drawback to this, of course: I highly doubt AI has improved consideraby enough that it knows how to play. Maybe it got a bit better - I'll take what I can get.

Now there can be Turtles all the way down

Glad they are adding more late game historical moments. I find that as I near the end game, it becomes harder and harder to hit the era thresholds, meaning I could hit a dark age just as I am a flourishing civ about to win a science victory. :crazyeye:

Glad they are adding more late game historical moments. I find that as I near the end game, it becomes harder and harder to hit the era thresholds, meaning I could hit a dark age just as I am a flourishing civ about to win a science victory. :crazyeye:
Contrary to this, I should now be able to ride golden ages all the way through. Dark ages were easy to avoid until the last couple of the eras and now it should be more straightforward.

AI AI AI AI AI AI AI > Where art thou AI?

- Joint Wars will require casus belli! (YES)

He didn't say it will require, he said you may declare using a Casus Belli, which require denounce from at least one player. What I understood is that joint wars still can be declared without Casus Belli (I guess it will be seen as a surprise war now), you just have the option now to use the casus belli system in a joint war.

I'm really stumped by this. Just stumped.

Anton says something like "We also recognise England was nerfed a little too hard in the last patch", which kinda suggests Firaxis heard the complaints about England. But then this change just misses the point of what (I thought) people were complaining about, ie losing the offensive quality of Pax B. And what about the complaints about losing the extra trade routes?

Look. I'm going to stop posting about this topic in this thread. It's not doing me any good. I have other things in my life. But I am just so utterly disappointed by this. Just gutted.

I was so looking forward to using England in R&F - I thought there was lots of fun to have with England's extra trade routes and the alliance system, and with colonial cities, Pax B, garrisoned melee units and loyalty.

Where am I now? Well, first, England loses its trade routes, and gets a non-sensical loyalty bonus from harbours in return (bad luck if you grab a city not on the coast, or if you've just settled a city and need a loyalty boost before you've had time to build a RND). Then there's multiple patches, none of which fix trade routes, but which instead gut Pax B. And now, Firaxis apparently have half-heard the complaints about England, but have decided to 'fix' only Pax B, not trade routes, and their fix to Pax B is equally non-sensical.

I mean, I get that free stuff is free stuff. But exactly how useful is it to get a free melee unit when you build a harbour?? Surely I'd want a boat when I build a harbour??? And getting a free unit on your own continent means you could get a free Red Coat - you know, those units designed to be used on other continents??? Awesome. And how does any of these melee units fit with England being a Naval Civ??? I get a free melee unit when I settle colonial cities, and another when I build a melee unit, so I'll end up (eventually) with an army of melee units but not ships??? I guess this means I can spend all my production on boats because I wont need to build any melee units. Awesome.

I mean, crikey, I don't think melee units are even intended to be defensive units in terms of gameplay design - that's anti-cav and ranged. And yet I'm being given melee units after I've settled cities. So, I settle a bunch of cities, build them up so they don't loyalty flip, build a RND to get another unit (that'll be quick, particularly mid game), and then, after all that, launch my cunning attack on nearby cities?? Probably not going to have the element of surprise there.

England has basically been reduced to one strategy. Settle cities, build RND, hope for the best. It will be the only Civ that will want to beeline the City Patron Goddess pantheon - because, man, all you are going to build is RNDs. Settlers, and RNDs. Build a RND on every ocean and lake tile you can find.

Just give England some trade routes, and just start again with Pax B. This Civ is a complete mess. I have absolutely no idea why.

I am just completely and entirely over this rubbish.

[And while I'm at it. On top of everything else. Sea Dogs are terrible. Just terrible. They've been terrible the whole time - no patch or expansion needed. I get England gets a strong Navy indirectly from its RND. But it's pretty lame England's base unique unit is a terrible, terrible naval unit. Ship of the Line guys. Or a Dreadnaught. It's not hard.]

Last edited:
The double trade routes weren't an original part of England. They were a buff implemented in the first few patches. I've always felt it was a bit heavy-handed and am not sorry to see it go. It was replaced by the RNDY loyalty in R&F, which works nicely for England's coastal expansionist theme. To that effect, I am happy to see the free melee units component partially restored to its former glory. I feel it's integral to England's (actually Britain's) rapid empire growth under Victoria. And keeping it more coast-oriented is the proper flavor.

Why is Seondeok's Hwarang being adjusted? It's only a 5% boost no? I've seen stronger leader abilities in many other civs by far.

It's the Korean Civ ability that is annoying (too focused on seowons and inappropriately named), and the seowon itself is the main component of "Korea is OP" whiners (though Scotland is stronger late game than Korea by far).

If this option ever makes a comeback (better not), I wish that at least the price for such a stunt would be... more pricy, much more along Civ4 lines than Civ5. In Civ5 this was too much of an exploit.

Top Bottom