SprylliNES Discussion Thread

spryllino

Deity
This thread is now under use for OOC discussion of SprylliNES II.

Spoiler obsolete stuff :
I have been considering this and various other NES ideas for a while, and I have now decided that I am definitely going to start this NES. It's a political NES and this is the pre-thread. Please reserve a position in the NES here!

It takes various aspects from ZPNES VI, EkoNES, and DaNES II. Thanks go to the mods of those NESes.

I will launch the NES midday GMT next Wednesday and I will then prepare an Update Zero. Please make reservations by then if you want to be present in Update Zero. Then the order deadline each week will probably be Saturdays 6pm.

Summary:

In essence, there is a single city run by an oligarchy of twenty “kings” and one Priest who each have a seat on the Senate. The players represent ruling clans who have to acquire kingships from each other, or they represent some part of the priesthood, or they represent some band of travelling merchants or colonists.

The Priests:

There must be three players in the priesthood, called the Prophet, the Priest, and the Dean.

The Prophet makes up prophecies and then sends them to me, to the Priest, and to the Dean. The Prophet may never post IC. The prophecies, as received by me, may well come true. The job here is more part of the modding job than a playing role, although it could be fun anyway for the player.

The Priest is nominated by one of the city’s elite clans, and this clan will be chosen randomly by me according to the verdict of a junior, non-partisan, acolyte upon looking at some entrails. The Priest has a seat on the Senate and is the only one who is allowed to announce prophecies. Thus the priest can neglect to tell the city about a prophecy or entirely make one up. The priest is paid a large salary from the Dean’s upkeep.

The Temple (whose public face is the very theoretically non-partisan Priest) commands the great loyalty of the lower classes. How much loyalty it commands depends on how many of the prophecies come true, on how much the Priest tries to get them to do things, and, more than anything else, on the prestige of the Temple (i.e. the Dean). The Priest’s clan’s own prestige being high does not cause the populace to become any more loyal at all to the Temple.

The Dean runs the secular affairs of the Temple in the city. His task is to enhance the glory of God by the maximum aggrandisement of the Temple and to get the greatest possible influence for the Temple. He may not announce prophecies, but if he denounces the Priest’s announcements he undermines not only the prestige of the Priest’s clan but also the prestige of the Temple itself. Public order may also be negatively affected. The Dean is also head of the city’s civil service.

The Elite Clans and the Mercantile clans:

The city itself is divided into fifteen quarters, each of which elects its own king every decade or so. Three are life kings, elected by the other kings whenever one dies. The other two (NPC) kings are victorious generals. These take up their posts when acclaimed particularly enthusiastically by the populace, and so there may not always be three. More generals can be appointed as Kings by the senate, but normally only to placate the populace. The twenty-first seat is taken by the Priest. Only elite clans can stand to be elected Kings in the ten quarters of the city.

Otherwise, the Senate can levy taxes and pass legislation, as governments do. All the clans will want to enhance their own prestige through pushing senate resolutions and by doing great things on their own.

Elite clans, as in Daftpanzer’s Nesse, need a speciality. However, these can be wide ranging, covering not only inherently noble pursuits like diplomacy and generalship, but also more plebeian affairs such as trade within the city, metal-working and the arts.

Elite clans cannot engage in business outside the city's territory and mercantile clans cannot stand for the Senate.

The Stats:

Each faction has a yearly income, measured in Shillings (why not?) and an upkeep value: generally speaking, each soldier you have ought to cost 10 shillings each year and each war horse that you have should cost 4 shillings. Other things will cost you upkeep: potentially, corruption will, and so might anything else you build or invest in. You can use your income on what you like. Ask me for the cost. Labourers cost 2 shillings for a year of work; beasts of burden cost 1 shilling.

Income can be stored away physically (but of course it can be raided physically too :p) in a treasury. This is also shown in the stats. You can’t bank shillings without telling me where to store them in your orders.

Every clan has a membership. These members alone can form the cavalry of your private army. Your prestige increases if prestigious, rich, sorts of people join you, and your prestige declines if you let riff-raff into your clan. Each member gives you a subsidy each year of 10 to 60 shillings depending on their wealth (but you always have to pay for their horses if you want them to have horses). Your membership increases with your prestige.

Every clan has a prestige stat. At the end of the NES, the prestige stat determines the “Winner”. It also causes the clan to gain members and get popular respect (and thus victory in elections). Of course, the Temple always has greater popular respect than its prestige stat would indicate.

Other Things:

The map is lower down the page with a description of the city.

Orders, I hope, will be concise but interesting, with a clearly defined spending section.

Stories may cause their writer to receive a bonus. I appreciate all efforts to make this world more vivid and interesting.

How to join this NES:

Please apply to play by giving your clan a name, a speciality, a brief description/history, and say whether you want to be near anything in the city such as the port or the city centre, or if you want to be outside the city walls, or whatever. I would prefer it if you didn’t recycle names from other NESes; this is a tedious practice. Remember I need a Prophet and a Dean and some merchant/colonist clans as well as elites. In fact, I would rather have no more than 8 elite clans. Here is a template.

Clan Name:
Clan Type: (Elite/Mercantile/Dean)
Speciality:
Description/History:
Other:

I also need a name for the city, and a title for the NES. Suggestions on improvements to the ruleset are very welcome.

Post reserved. You may post.

Reservations:

The prophet has already been reserved. I'll tell the Priest and Dean who, but I won't tell anyone else.
Kraznaya as Verisimilitude (Mercantile).
merciary as Tralysan (Mercantile).
Abaddon as Scara'moosche (Mercantile) with a base in Inland Ferante.
Haseri as Picoles (the Dean).
Kentharu as Assir (Elite).

Possible city names:

Dis
Spryllino

Clan Name: Verisimilitude
Clan Type: (Elite/Mercantile/Dean) Mercantile
Speciality: Human trafficking
Description/History:
Other:
I'll type up a clan description when I have a better idea of the city and its surrounding environs first.

Clan Name: Tralysan
Clan Type: (Elite/Mercantile/Dean) Mercantile
Speciality: Alchemy/Apothecary, that type of stuff
Description/History:
Other: I'll get some info up for them later

I was going to post this in the first update, but I'll post it here instead, so you can take account of it when you choose your roles.

The city is a quiet seaside town. Away to the north are hills that stretch so far that no-one can confidently say where they end, and arable plains are the main feature of the landscape for many miles along the coast, after which the beaches turn to cliffs and the farmland turns to forest. The hilly area is lightly forested, with valleys where large tribes of sedentary locals live. Rumours of a great civilisation in the North are sometimes to be heard in the city, but no-one can give any details about it.

The city is built on a small river that flows through the north side of the city and enters the sea to the east, outside the walls, and around the mouth is the lesser port of Yglissy, where fishermen carry out their work. On the north side of the river is a somewhat steep hill, the Ulerian hill, on which many of the poorer houses are, and this gradually slopes downwards on the other side into the thick woodland beyond.

On the south side of the river is the open market, which is sandwiched between the sacred area of the Temple on the west side and the Kings’ Hill on the other side. On this small hill are found the Senate and the headquarters of several of the city’s older, more established clans.

A wide road runs from the market to the port, and on either side of it stretch roads, and on these roads, small shops and pubs and houses can be found. Larger houses are occasionally found for the more prosperous middle-class families, many of whom have businesses at the ends of the roads near the city walls. This area is known as the Southern city. The South-eastern quarter of the Southern city is almost entirely inhabited by people of the Loresian religion, a foreign cult from a long way down the coast, and these people are thought of as heretics by a substantial minority of the population.

The city thins out before the gates, and the wide road proceeds out from the gates through miles of cornfields and vineyards up to the main port, Ferante. Here great merchant ships dock and trade deals are worked out with the people of the islands to the south and with the other towns along the coast. Many shipwrights live in the houses by the dock, and all around the dock are workshops where fine exports are made from imported and local goods.

To the northwest of the Temple, along the riverbank on both sides, are many of the other wealthy families of the city. They live in large houses with gardens, and there is a theatre here too. Roads lead out of the gate from this area, known as Hlyngba, along the southern perimeter of the woodland and lead to the farms along the coast.

The map is attached. Each of the coloured areas is one of the quarters of the city. The holes in the city wall are the gates. The ][ symbols are bridges. The red area is the main road and the marketplace. The green quarter includes some houses, but these are in the western part and these are separated by the darker green line from the Temple's grounds.

The Fifteen quarters are as follows:

Spoiler :
Yglissy
Ulerian Hill
Kings’ Hill
Ferante inland
Ferante east
Ferante west
Southern city by the Market
Southern city 1st district (NW)
Southern city 2nd district (NE)
Southern city 3rd district (SW)
Southern city 4th district (SE)
Hlyngba Major (south of the river)
Hlyngba Minor (north of the river)
Hlyngba North
Hlyngba South and the Temple

The present clear threats to the city come from

a) the numerous barbarians in the woods;
b) the other towns along the coast;
c) the islanders to the south.

Attachments

• map for spryllines.png
    map for spryllines.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 450
  • labelled map for spryllines.png
    labelled map for spryllines.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 448
Can I be in that pink bit just above the harbour?

That quarter, Inland Ferante, is where all the people work who manufacture things for export. You can have your clan based there if you want. Fill in a form, anyway.

Clan Name: Scara'moosche
Clan Type: Mercantile
Speciality: Barter/ Conning
Description/History: The movers and shakers in the industrial part of the city. They control several of the larger factories in the area. Recent developments have increased their control as rivals tend to join forces with them, or come to an unfortunate end.
Other: Haskmund Scara'moosche, the "Boss" is old, lean, but still keen as a mongoose. The is blind in one eye and has a crude scar running the length of his face. This is from his youth when he ran a petty mob of thugs who would charge shopkeepers insurance money. That moment, he claims, led him on the straight and narrow. Most believe it just made him better at hiding the truth.

I should point out that this is set in classical times, and is a typical city-state in that regard.

Aww, well imagine the picture I posted to have him wearing a toga ;)

Clan Name: Picoles
Clan Type: Dean
Description/History: It is said that the Picoles family began its journy of the holyman when its Patriarch, Galimbett, joined the Temple. His grandson, Pero, was thrown out for crimes against the Temple, and his family was no longer aloud to join the Priesthood. However, the next Priest allowed Pero's son, Poccione, to apply for Deanhood. Two generations on, with Ferellad Picoles at the head of the family, they still mainitain an important position in the Temple, even if it as not as close to the Patron of the Temple as he would like.

Could you post a map with labels? I'm a little confused as to where things are.
And what is the exact job of the Dean?

Welcome. The Dean controls the Temple's revenues and his personal prestige stat represents the prestige of the Temple itself. You run the city's civil service too. You get sent prophecies by the Prophet after every update. You also get to know privately who the prophet is. You cannot announce these prophecies. (The Priest does that). You can denounce the Priest if he tells the wrong prophecy, but this damages your prestige as well as his. Deans don't need a speciality. You don't get a seat in the senate.

Essentially you run the affairs of the Temple and your objective is to aggrandise it, but you are not the public face of the Temple. The priest is the public face of the Temple.

I'll add another map to the second post later.

So, keep the Temple running, build shrines and sub-temples in poorer areas, that sort of thing?

Yes, basically. You could have a temple guard if you wanted too; you're free to get involved with the mercantile clans: those clans are probably more your business than the priest's. Clearly, don't contradict the Priest without good reason. You're free to reveal the prophecies to the clans yourself. You might ask for offerings occasionally. You can conduct sacrifices/services on a regular basis or on special occasions. If you want to write stories, you can give the religion a character and doctrine. You can do what diplomacy you like outside the Senate (for which I'll make an extra thread).

Don't forget there are a load of heretic Loresians in the city.

You'll get a fair amount of money too.

The position of Dean is currently hereditary within your clan.

Clan Name: Assir
Clan Type: Elite
Speciality: Generalship
Description/History:
Other:

Will post more description later.

In 15 hours, I will start working on an Update Zero.

I will then start a new thread.

Therefore, please get reservations in by Noon GMT Tomorrow if you want to be sure of being in for the start. Please fill your descriptions in, too, if you can.

Elites are particularly required, but if there are none by the Update, I'll make some NPCs.

Still really not sure how this will run.. you might need to guide us for the first few turns.

3 hours to go.

I've decided to make the world more interesting by making the hinterland more habitable: it is now hilly and lightly forested with quite a lot of barbarians, not densely forested with a few.

Top Bottom