Star Trek Mod II: The Wrath of Mod

I need advice please on how to make invisible the ini script running down the map screen, which is presumably a running commentary on the beta.

Live long and prosper.

I've noticed this, I think the logic tries to stop the population from growing when they become unhealthy by putting new population in planets with no food. The downside is when the planet becomes dirty enough to shrink, it pulls population from a planet with food, so the system keeps shrinking. At least, this is what I THINK is happening.

Think I got the same Problem... If you do not pay attention to keeping your planets healthy you loose a lot of Population in very short time...

New one: POP AFTER CONQUEST

Don't know if it is related, after I conquerd a planet and the revolution was over I had to put all the population on the planets by hand. Otherwise they obviously just would have stayed as unasigned...

Next One: GALACTIC GOVERNMENT: COLLECTIVE
It says "collective" but once it passes, I end up having "representation" as only available government... Hey, that's not what I voted for!!! ...But then... almost like real life... You never get what you vote for...

Next One: EXOCOMPS
Exocomp removing radiation (nice idea btw!!! :) ) needs something like over 200000 turns... unlikely in one Game!

Next One: HEAVY VS STARBASE
When Heavy is send against a starbase the Combat Odd Msg says:
Code:
%D1_Mod% against ???.
And the 50% Bonus is not calculated, all the other Bonuses from Promotions are, but that one is missing!
It's the same as in the Star Trek Mod I have played before. looked in some xml's ... Unit and Unitcombat definition... for me all that looks right. Just in that xml text files, there seems to be something missing...??? But if it is only a Text Key that is missing... why is it not calculated?

Next One: OMEGA DEVICE
I got a city in which an omega device just pops up at some time... by now there are already three. I DID NOT BUILD THEM!
Maybe I missed something...? But I think I've read every Wonder and Building text... And none of them is capable of this and there are no wonders in that city anyway.... nice present, but no clue why?!

Next One: DETECTING CLOAKED SHIPS
A cloaked ship is destroying my Transwarp network.
The Area of the last raid is surrounded with ships that have that detection promotion, but still, I CAN'T FIND THAT SU....
I kind of think something is not working right... or I'm really to stupid (still possible! :( )

BORG:
As much as I apreciate your work... the Borg are just to weak now!
They were better in the TOM (Star Trek The Original Mod)
Three started Games and they were always gone first, no resistance possible.

Played them myself, and since you need to conquer planets for research, and there are much more techs compared to the TOM It takes long till you get better Cubes, and by then the others already have like light III's. And to conquer you need to many Cubes, since they now have similar strength. so I end up in attacking with 20 Cubes and more... Not very Borg like. I liked it before: Cubes considerable stronger, but also much more expensive.

I also don't like all that national Unit stuff. If something is needed as a restriction i prefer the cost increase. But those are things I can change myself for myself.

Oh... and:
I only played VERSION 3H
now that I know the stable I'm testing the beta...
3H is running fine on my old Laptop and install was no Prob! Some CTD but only when I have other Programs running parallel, so it's not really surprising!

And last but definitely not least:
GOOD WORK, KEEP IT UP!!!
For Example the GREEN, YELLOW and RED ALERT: AWSOME IDEA AND VERY WELL DONE!!!

hmm, this looks interesting, i really liked the original star trek mod, haven't played this yet though, but id like to watch this so subbed :D

Ok... where to begin???
I try to upload a zip file, in there you will find:
  • LOG Files (I hope turning logging on worked...?)
  • saves (autosaves and where i stopped)
  • screenshots (of the most curious things...)
My System: Win XP, SP3, 2gb, 2ghz...
CivIV BTW up to Patch 3.19
Priority as I see it from "worst" to "I can live with it":

1. BUG Mod
    Good idea, the Bug interface screens give a lot of information :goodjob: but i think it is not compatible with final frontier? Could this be the reason for all those callback and display failures?
  2. Planetary System Screen
    In Capital only small Planets size "0" are displayed (see screenshot in zip-file)... no population can be assigned. :mad:
  3. Engineer special Building
    The special Building of the great Engineer is built on earth, everything fine. Built it again on Vulcan and it did give me the three Engineers, but no production bonus from them (Screenshot)
  4. Solar Systems with no Star and no Planets
    Just empty Systems without Star or Planets, only thing on the Map are the Circles of the Planets. (But I Like that they can have ressources now :goodjob:)
  5. A lot of Callback Errors
    I Hope it is somewhere in the Logs...?
    Especially:
    "FinalFrontierGameUtils" Error "Cannot Construct" (when entering City) and GetCityFoundValue (every new Turn)
  6. Layout of Planetary System Screen
    Special Persons are displayed over Planets
  7. Score Calculation
    from begin on score of over 5000
  8. Spawning and aggressive Pirates
    ...are not really spawning or aggressive...
  9. ...

That's all for now...
But there is a lot of reworked things I really like...
:goodjob:
that whole promotion tree rework, all the new Icons and new abilitys (But please change the text for the Asteroid and Space Defense, on the Screen it just says "Defense", not distinguishing between both, when I'm back from work I will have a look at the xml's and try to find and edit the Text Keys, If that is the Solution???... But that's all I can do, SORRY)

Oh, and maybe worth mentioning:
Despite all those Callback Errors and other things:
It runs very stable, even smooth and almost fast (calculating time between turns) on my old Laptop System... :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    7.7 MB · Views: 125
Hey,
as I wrote before, I did not like, that the armor Promotion Text did not say which bonus is in Space, and which one on asteroids. So I changed it and it seems to work:
Spoiler :
  1. change in:
    "...\XML\Text\CIV4GameText_Promotions_Mod.xml"

Spoiler :
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_DEFENSE_TEXT</Tag>
    <English>[ICON_BULLET]%D1%% Defense Strength</English>

to:

<Tag>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_DEFENSE_TEXT</Tag>
    <English>[ICON_BULLET]%D1%% %s2_FeatureName-Defense Strength</English>

Proof that it works:
    PlatingChangedText.jpg

2. I also changed the <Description> Tags from the "ARMOR" Promotions in "...\XML\Units\CIV4PromotionInfos.xml" to TXT_KEY's
    Spoiler :
    <Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ARMOR_I</Description>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ARMOR_II</Description>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ARMOR_III</Description>
    <Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ARMOR_IV</Description>

and inserted the Keys over the "Shield" Keys in the "CIV4GameText_Promotions_Mod.xml"
    Spoiler :

<TEXT>
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ARMOR_I</Tag>
    <English>Tritanium Plating</English>
    </TEXT>
    <TEXT>
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ARMOR_II</Tag>
    <English>Disilicon Polymer</English>
    </TEXT>
    <TEXT>
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ARMOR_III</Tag>
    <English>Polyduranium Bulkheads</English>
    </TEXT>
    <TEXT>
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_ARMOR_IV</Tag>
    <English>Ablative Armor</English>
    </TEXT>

I know, that was not a "real Bug" and it's not much... But I only know how to mod xml, sorry.

Attachments

• CIV4GameText_Promotions_Mod.xml.txt
    25.4 KB · Views: 109
  • CIV4PromotionInfos.xml.txt
    128 KB · Views: 185
Hey,
as I wrote before, I did not like, that the armor Promotion Text did not say which bonus is in Space, and which one on asteroids.

Asteroids (20% defense, if I remember correctly) are in Space (zero def. bonus).

Interesting modification that you made, but I don't quite see your original problem.

... but I don't quite see your original problem.

Promotion has changed in the new Version (4e).
As you could see in the Screenshot I posted (hidden in the spoiler) it gives now 10%defense Bonus on Asteroids and 5% defense Bonus in Space.
So my orig. prob. was that when i first played I only saw :
Code:
[LIST]
[*]10% defense Bonus
[*]5% defense Bonus
[/LIST]
:crazyeye:

As I said Asteroids are in Space, so that would give a total of 15% on Asteroids. Which is why I don't quite see the problem.

When you are not on asteroids which one do you get:
a) "10% defense Bonus"
or
b) "5% defense Bonus"
or
c) both of them for a total of 15%
or
d) neither of them for a total of 0%

Note that neither one of them mentioned asteroids. If you have to be in asteroids to get one or more of them, you'd think it would mention that you need to be in asteroids to get that bonus.

Which is exactly what the change does. In fact, if you just delete the text key you added the default from BtS should supply the needed information so you can tell when you will, or won't, get each specific bonus.

Clear now?

Perfectly. Although you could just have added the missing text; if you have either 5% or 10% defense bonus, it seems rather clear the 10% would be meant for Asteroids defense. But I appreciate the attention to detail. ;)

First is the mod still active? Second question is does this mod move slower than the orginal? Even on epic on the orginal star trek mod I was moving through tech in the begining game at a rate of 6 turns a tech and reached the original series era in less than an hour.

Planetary System Screen
In Capital only small Planets size "0" are displayed (see screenshot in zip-file)... no population can be assigned.

Sorry, I missed this post when you first made it. Did you find a solution for this bug? It sounds like you can play the game, and this completely stops me.

Hey guys. Sorry for being awol for so long. I've got my computer back up and running to the point where I'm ready to get back to work. I'll be looking over the comments and getting back to it over the next week here. Thanks for being patient with me. again, if you can add a screenshot along with your bug, It helps alot.

Quick responses:

Armor and shields - I haven't been able to figure out how to change the text to report the specific area bonus. Looks like you guys have some solutions for me to try out (which I LOVE thanks). In the mean time, the first one is astroids, the second is open space.

Version 3h - Is full of bugs, It's just to give to an Idea of the desired end result. I put it up because some people seem to prefer it. After that I completely started over from scratch, so there is no point in reporting any bugs from that version or any version other then the latest one.

Planet size 0 - Either you are playing version 3h OR you do not have the 3.19 patch installed for beyond the sword. (which I have done myself a few times).

Lastly, Never feel your suggestions will be ignored! I love all the feedback!

P.S. if you haven't played the Original Star Trek Mod, check it out! It is fantastic and what inspired me to do this remake. I was playing it online with some of my trek friends and were like, "hmm ... this is a little off from the cannon, This balance is a little off". We started doing a few tweeks and before we knew the game was different enough that we decided to throw down and jump into it. Thanks again for playing it.

WoW !!! :goodjob: this looks very good.

I checkout the first Startrek mod and was wondering about the concept of the different submods ( missing the all in one solution )

Now i found this one and this is a new chance :eek:
I check the betta 4e and the first look an concept seems to be hot.
In the early hours I just miss the Romulan Great Warbird & Valdore + Borg Leadersheads.
I think you are still in progress of this mod is any final version in view ?

Armor and shields - I haven't been able to figure out how to change the text to report the specific area bonus. Looks like you guys have some solutions for me to try out (which I LOVE thanks). In the mean time, the first one is astroids, the second is open space.

Since you are using the FFP DLL I will point out that these are now cumulative. Any bonus for "space terrain" applies everywhere since everywhere is space terrain. The bonus for asteroids will be added to that when in asteroids.

In regular BtS the feature defense overrides any terrain defense so on a forested plain plot a unit that gets +100% on plains and no special forest bonus would not get any extra bonus, they would only get the standard bonus for being in a forest.

This was adjustment was done in version 1.8, I think, so it was not in the older Star Trek mod's DLL. It always seemed silly that the Armor promotion did nothing in asteroids or in star systems (since the star system itself is a feature), so it was made cumulative.

Thanks God emperor! I was wondering about that!

So I made a video to show some of the early strategies of the game. I hope this helps some people.

Video of game play and enterprise era strategy guide

@xaster:

I was just telling my friend that I don't think this thing will ever be done. It's like my sistine chapel! I doubt I'll ever stop working on it. Specially since it is in this very unique spot in computer technology where it really won't go out of date anytime soon. I think the only thing that could get me to stop working on it would be if I was hired to make an official star trek game.

I am running into a couple of hickups though if you guys can help me at all.

#1 I want to add some early shuttle crafts and It looks like they added the model to this game from some user made models from Star trek Armada 2. unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to convert these to nif files, either from lack of proper software or just not understanding what I'm doing. If you know anyone who know how to do this have them drop a line on this forum.

#2 I need to get down into the C++ dll and while I know how to code in C++, the whole compiling thing is brick walling me. So again, if you know someone who can hand hold me a bit, that would be great.

Thanks guys

Hey - logging in to show my support for this mod. Love that you're doing this.

Downloading the current version (4e) - will try it out and let you know what I think.

Ok, so far so good. Great, in fact.

Love how the starting techs are set up, and the religions; multiple in the case of some, but balanced in other ways. It's very much in line with the flavor of the civs. ^_^

I've been playing as Picard on a huge map, dense solar systems. It works well - the initial game is very thematic, feels very isolated.

Though I was expecting more of the 'inhabited' planets to create colonies, as frequently happens in FF+ (it feels odd to 'colonize' Vulcan and Andora). None of them have so far.

Loving the ships ^_^ getting a Constitution class ship upgraded, then with some speed buffs, and it feels like it's really moving at warp speed. At the right speed.

Issues:

The intro movie is... a mess. It starts out well, but devolves into wierdness. I skipped it about halfway through.

Some of the sounds (techs, achievements) overlap frequently, making it hard to understand what's being said or bleeped at me.

Wishlist:

+I'd like it if there were more ways to expand on colonies - currently there's only one tech (terraforming 2) and only two ways to build up (habitat, and if you're lucky a moon colony). It's kind of stifling the way it is now, if you've got nothing but smaller solar systems around you especially, but even in the bigger ones.

+Also more ways to increase food production. So that you can start making choices on whether to invest in your colony (more space, more food, more production, etc.) or in your military.

+Constitution class ships oughtta have the scout benefit when searching debris or investigating planets, in my opinion. Other than that, they're perfect.

+the various religious buildings should be a bit more diversified. Currently, they all seem to offer the exact same benefits. They should be tailored to better fit styles of play that suit the civilizations that'll get them better.

That's all I've got for now - I'll keep playing and let you know what I find.

There were no problems installing, no slowdowns, no crashes. Pedia text is a mess, but you probably already know that - and the changes you've made to it so far are very promising in flavor and enjoyment (from the stock FF+ 'pedia).

Top Bottom