• Star Trek

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 67 53.2%
  • Both

Votes: 23 18.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Perfection
I liked the original trilogy, and didn't mine the new ones (I used an awesome movie watching trick on them called "going in with low expectations and just enjoying the special effects and not bothering with the plot because you just know it's horrible")

Star Trek Basicly has four tiers of goodness for movies and series
1st tier: the pretty good stuff
The original Series, The Next Generation, The wrath of Khan, The search for Spock, and First contact
2nd tier: the moderately good stuff:
Deep Space nine, generations, all other origional series based movies except the motion picture (the first movie)
3rd Tier: Watchable
Insurrection, Voyager, The motion picture
4th Tier: Burn it, send it to hell
Enterprise and Nemesis

Hey! That's what I thought. I haven't seen Nemesis yet though.

About Star Wars, I think I like the books better than the movies. They explain the Force and the ST universe better.

And I agree with the others, B5 is the best sci-fi ever, (except maybe Farscape for the halariousness) B5 is good because it really never ends. Loose ends tie themselves up sometimes seasons in the future. You can get inkings of Mollari's fate long before season 5 or the eppy where Sheridan goes to the future. The only problem with B5 is that Legend of the Rangers sucked.

I got a good understanding of the force and the sith after playing "Knights of the old republic" on Xbox. Fantastic game, different way of playing so you may seem awkward at first.

Trying to get back in to reading. Star wars is an option for the future. Probably need to find someone with the whole set.

Star Treking across the universe, we come in peace, shoot to kill..

I prefer Star Trek (TNG+) because the technology looks like something we could build, if someone just figured out how it worked :p

I dislike some newer (Bragga) series, they became soaps and ditched the consistency of a documentary-like show that came from TNG/DS9 series.

As for Star Wars, it's bleh, the same old stuff. Bellongs in the same catagory as Buck Rogers, Dr. Who or Gallactica :lol:

Let's see great SW characters:

Hunters: Boba Fett, Jango Fett

Sith: Darth Maul, Dath Sideous, Darth Vader

Heros: Han Solo (best character of all movies), Chewie, R2, Obi-Wan, Mace, Padme, Yoda

ST:

Spock (maybe)

ST characters are too dull!

I see there's a lot of Babylon 5 fans here. Don't blame you , I too wliked it when I was younger. I did not like how it was representing events though. For instance the crew was always right in all major desicsions. And I got the feeling that I was the only one who didn't care for Delen (the Mimbari chic). She got so important to the show that she married the main character. I would have much prefered mor Nar'rn and Gel Heads (I can't believe I forget what they're called) I did not like the highness that the creators showed for the Mimbari and also disagreed with the general liberalness seen throughout the show. that said it blows most of the eras space shows out of the water.

Originally posted by Zarn
Let's see great SW characters:

Hunters: Boba Fett, Jango Fett

Sith: Darth Maul, Dath Sideous, Darth Vader

Heros: Han Solo (best character of all movies), Chewie, R2, Obi-Wan, Mace, Padme, Yoda

ST:

Spock (maybe)

ST characters are too dull!
Spock is OK, but.. better characters are:

Picard
Worf
Sisko
Q (Always good entertainment)

Not enough investment in the bad guys though; they seem to put emphasis on the team effort of the good guys at the expense of exploring dark and sinister minds. And when they do (occationally) do that, it's not part of the recurring theme.

I have never seriously dug into any of the series, and only watched Star Wars. (Actually I've seen more SW movies than ST episodes.) I have not voted, and will not come with an opinion because I haven't seen enough ST to make a fair vote. But I liked the SW movies. Especially the sequences with C3-PO and R2-D2. Some of them are just hilarious.

Data, Picard are high on my list. Especially when they get angry.

Trek! I really like the plots. Next generation is it to me!

Wars is probably the worst I have ever seen. A homosexual robot.... Give me a break.

Put me down as a hybrid fan. Return of the Jedi is one of my all time favourites, but I think that Episaodes 1 and 2 have taken the edge off Star Wars.
I enjoy the breadth of scope Star Trek, throughout movies and the series. First Contact gets my vote as no. 1 Trek Film, while I've always been quiet partial to TNG and Voyager as series. Enterprise has been good.

Star Wars, without a doubt. But just for the original trilogy, the new one stinks.
As for Star Trek, I sometimes like watching the Next Generation, but I find the other ones painfully boring.

I don't mind Star Trek, in fact i used to enjoy watching the next generation and voyager but i just cannot stand Star Wars.

(ducks to avoid flaming).

I like to look at it this way... Even my Grandma likes Star Wars, but how many people do you know who actually watch Star Trek? The prequels aside, who doesn't like the original trilogy, or has atleast seen them? We are talking about one of the most important and influential films in movie history... Its a little like comparing the Milwaukee Brewers to the New York Yankees.

star trek is already boring and star wars begins to be boring, so i voted star wars

I'm a big fan of BOTH, see no reason to dislike one simply because I like the other. I'd say Star Trek was generally more interesting, Star Wars generally more fun.

That said, I agree with any/all comments that both series have pretty well run their course. George Lucas has clearly lost his mojo, and the spirit of Gene Roddenberry has not been channelled through Brannon/Braga.

Even in their death-throes, though, I still find some things I like. The lightsaber duel with Darth Maul was fantastic. It was great to see Christopher Lee menace everyone again as Count Dooku. Yoda's Jedi-fu was pretty fun.

Deep Space Nine - how could you not like Quark? And the Grand Nagus? Good stuff.

Voyager - boldly going where no one has gone before was at least refreshing. Honestly, the Alpha Quadrant was starting to get a little stale. The Doctor was the only character I ever really cared one way or another about, though. That episode about the holograms who broke free and had their own ship was pretty interesting; made me look a little more carefully at my own video collection;)

You have no option for Despise Both, and wish that Lucas would be caught buggering Roddenberry's corpse somewhere.

Good SciFi is hard to come by. The closest thing we have to a good sci-fi series (other than non-serial shows like the ever-watchable Outer Limits) is Stargate SG1.

Star Trek is some of the worst-written drivel ever to attempt to insult my intelligence, and Star Wars is immoral fiction at its shiny finest, perhaps the only franchise worse than SW in immoral fiction being The Matrix.

Top Bottom