Star Trek unit preview thread

Flamand

The Visible Elder!
The Star Trek mod still needs lots and lots of new units, so I thought it would be better to dedicate a new thread to making these new units.

:borg:

If anyone is working on new Star Trek units, feel free to post them here... :)

Right now I'm working on this baby... :) Still needs glowing windows and a blue edge on the nacelle ring.
Does anyone know what kind of weapons it had in the show?

Flamand said:
The Star Trek mod still needs lots and lots of new units (about 35 or so). So I thought it would be better to dedicate a new thread to making these new units.

Here is a list of what is still needed:

Federation: Dy-100 class , London/ Mars class, Constellation class, Ambassador (incomplete), Steamrunner (incomplete), Prometheus

Cardassians: Toran, Nerok, Netel, Neterok, Hutet

Romulans: R’Daran, D’Renet, D’Ridren, D’Deridex, Norexan

Klingon: Raptor, D5, Chargwh'l, K’Tinga, Vor Cha

Borg: Probe ('coffin'), Diamond

Dominion: Jem Hadar Scout, Karemma transport, Assault Fighter, Attack Ship, Mothership

Minor races: transport, fighter, battleship, cruiser, mothership

UU's: Bajoran interceptor, Vulcan Surak class, Vulcan D'Kyr class, Ferengi marauder, Tholian web spinner, Breen ships (1-2)

If anyone is working on new Star Trek units, feel free to post them here... :)

If you'll read my Federation thread you'll see I'm working on quite a few of those(already have models for them) and some more for my purposes. Have a look to post #15 pics.

But I don't know when these will be available and i'll not be making eveyone named on those folder pics. So if you can have someone make them, have them to make them and if I don't like what they came up with, I'll still create the units as I like them.

Also, check it out if you're looking for land units( but I want the land units to look a certain way, so I'll definitelly make all of them, as opposed to the spaceship ones).

The only ones I'm sure not to make from your list, as I'm thinking it for now, are the London/Mars class, Vulkan enterprise ones(I might use some of them if someone makes them though), the first 3 Romulans, the Cardassians, the 3rd Klingon and possibly the minor races. But, like I said, it will take me time(My new deadline is aprox sep/06 for the mod), so if someone wants to, they can make them.

I have been keeping an eye on your Federation thread for some time, and I must say that your proposed graphics look absolutely great! Will you be releasing them as soon as they are finished, or will you wait with that until the entire mod is done?

This thread is actually something of a to do list for me. Since no one, apart from you and me, is making any ST units perhaps it would be good to combine strengths. There is no need to make the same unit twice. I will be very interested in you Phoenix when you finish it...

For now I don't have the ambition to make humanoid, as I have just started unit making and I think that 'living' units are much harder to make. Perhaps in time, when I get some experience I might give it a try... Till then I will just work through the list above, hoping someone will help me at a later date... :)

Hmm, Flamand I could be worng, but don't we already have some of the Ships that You listed in the Thread?

D'Deridex for example or the Norexan? Are they incomplete?

Well, not a big deal, I guess either of the two ships could at least need an overhaul ;).

And I remember that someone (I guess it was Bjornlo) was talking about to make the prometheus class.

Oh, that's possible... saves work :D I just copied the list from the other thread, guess I took the wrong one.

Mentat said:
Hmm, Flamand I could be worng, but don't we already have some of the Ships that You listed in the Thread?

D'Deridex for example or the Norexan? Are they incomplete?

Well, not a big deal, I guess either of the two ships could at least need an overhaul ;).

And I remember that someone (I guess it was Bjornlo) was talking about to make the prometheus class.

yes I have been working on and off on the Prometheus. It amuses me to make it since I also made the ship of the same name for SG.
I have a few other units to get done first, as I hit a odd texture issue with this one, and figure a little practise on other units will do me good.

Looking forward to that unit... will you be including the multi-vector attack?

The ship splits into three sections that attack simultaneously. It is the typical characteristic of that ship.

Finished the attack animations. How does this look?

ps: thanks Bjornlo for suggesting Animation shop. Works perfectly... :)

Outstanding but the ship looks REALLLY big.
decrease by atleast 30%. Another thing you can look into is pointing the camera at a "ground" just beneath the ship and having the ship hover just above that area.
Why?
Because unless you use this for a pureley "space" scenario, it will be entirely centered within the ground of a civ square. Confusing? I know.

If you raise it a little and not have it DIRECTLY centered in the frame, then it can be treated like an air unit and be seen to 'hover' over a square. If you keep it like you have now, then it may only be good for purely space terrain textures.

Thanks for your comments Wyrmshadow.

The Star Trek mod is a fully space based mod, so that would be no problem. But I followed your advice as a courtesy to other mod makers that might want to use it... :) The large size is only for display, in reality it is about 75% of this size.

The animations are almost finished. Hope to be able to post the completed unit by tonight...

The Death animation (a bit too large as well...)

The death anim is quite cool. I like the effect you achieved of the ship breaking up and being enveloped in fire. What tool are you using to achieve that?
What colors are civ colored? Red? If so, you should consider going to a lighter shade of red. If not, you should consider recoloring the laser to allow for some blue bits.
Glad animation shop worked out for you.

Great attack and death animations. I'm looking forward to this MOD alot!

This unit has no civ color since it is only intended for the Vulcans in the Star Trek mod. I use 3ds max 7 for unit creation. The explosion is done using a particle animation with superimposed individual flames. The ship breaking apart is done with another particle system.
Really love the tutorials of 3ds max, all of this is in there. Without it my units wouldn't be very spectacular, I'm afraid... :)

BTW: Surak finished and posted in the units forum...

The Surak apparently still has some palette issues, but I hope to get them solved soon. Meanwhile I bumped into this variation of the Surak, the Toj Lol class. I must say I never heard of it before, but it seems to fit rather nicely with the other one...

Well, I am stunned, absolutely gorgeous Flamand.

btw. I just remembered a link that shows kinda self-modeled ST ships for various races used in a ST Space Empires IV Mod.

I have no clue if the guy, who modeled them, would send his 3D Models or allow them to be used for the CIV Mod, but I'll post the link here, just in case you might have a look at it. I think some models like the ones for the breen, could be quite useful, if they were available.

http://newageshipyards.cjb.net/

I can't find any 3D models on that site, but itwill definitely serve to get some inspiration... :)

Yes, there are no 3D Models, since Space Empires does not require them as such, but the ships seem to be modeled in 3D, so I guess the creator might have those models at hand. With some luck he might be either willing to send us those Models or textures(meshes) for our own purposes, ... one never knows.

Well, at least I think that those images are just snapshots of 3D models, maybe I am wrong on that though.

And I guess, you already hit the following link, which has some very nice images of ST ships, and the creator claims that most of them are from 3D models.
http://www.badmonkeynobanana.com/shipsROMULAN.htm

Top Bottom