Star Wars Mod

So noone like my suggestion huh :) ah well.

In lieu of Woodelf's scrap and restart suggestion (which would be very helpful to me, as I only found this after it became Vapour), I'd like to try and start some more discussion. How will the Force be implemented?

Why not have the force be implemented similar to spells in FFH2? We could use the Civics to choose different views of Civics, as has been mentioned in the Star Wars mod forum.

I'm not familiar with FFH2 spells (despite having dl'd and played it several times :)) how do they work? my thoughts were that civs could side with either the light side, dark side, or the few small 'force cults' that reside within the SW universe. This would then effect buildings, wonders, and units that are available to the civ, with each type of force providing different benifits/disadvantages.

Referring to your sig, Sovin nai, how new is "the new team"? As in, can i sign up? :)

Hey, I've kind of been following this thread without saying anything. I would really love to see the mod done, and done well. Unfortunately I have no modding skills or I'd offer to help. I reckno the only way that's going to really work is to just leave the maps alone and play land battles. Anything else is going to be too complicated and this project seems to be having enough trouble without getting overly ambitious. My other thought was that it might be easier and more sensible to just make the star wars mod as a major mod of FFH, if it's possible to get permission or whatever. Otherwise you're gonig to be trying to recreate the same features from scratch i.e. hero's, force powers and possibly others I can't think of. Sorry for the very long post.

Hey, I've kind of been following this thread without saying anything. I would really love to see the mod done, and done well. Unfortunately I have no modding skills or I'd offer to help. I reckno the only way that's going to really work is to just leave the maps alone and play land battles. Anything else is going to be too complicated and this project seems to be having enough trouble without getting overly ambitious. My other thought was that it might be easier and more sensible to just make the star wars mod as a major mod of FFH, if it's possible to get permission or whatever. Otherwise you're gonig to be trying to recreate the same features from scratch i.e. hero's, force powers and possibly others I can't think of. Sorry for the very long post.

I disagree. :) Let me explain:

About Land Battles: The idea that SW takes place throughout an entire galaxy is an integral part of SW. To leave out the massiveness of SW would, i think, cheapen (for lack of a better word) any Star Wars mod attempted.

About a mod of FFH: I dislike this idea on principle. Although a good idea, in terms of practicality, i think a better option would be look for inspiration in what they did and how they did it, and incorporate in our mod the ideas and methods that apply from theirs. I agree that we shouldn't need to start from scratch ideas already incorporated in other mods. Kael and co have given so much to Civmodding in general i can't see any reason why they wouldn't support another mod in this way

About lack of Modding skills: I am only just starting to learn how to mod myself. I highly recommend learning, as it not only opens up new ways of thinking in general, it is also quite enjoyable (albeit frustrating at times :D)

Just a thought (if it was not thought of before), for the maps, there could be a seperate map for seperate battles, so you would have a more in-depth war.

Just a thought (if it was not thought of before), for the maps, there could be a seperate map for seperate battles, so you would have a more in-depth war.

Aha, but seperate maps have been an something that seems to impossible for the moment. Alas, I have got busy again, but I'm still working on this little by little. I may need some help from some people soon, (particularly in the buttons department) and I will try to get something out in the relative future.

Sorry this is so vague, but I just don't know with my schedule when I will have time.

First of all, thanks moopoo for taking what I said seriously and making sensible arguments even though I'm a noob. :blush:

I still disagree though. I agree strongly that the scale is an important part of starwars, but I think that a planetary conflict would probably convey that better than any of the methods suggested so far for a space setting. It'd certainly be a change from the ridiculously small and limited ground battles in pretty much every other star wars game so far. The other big problem I can see with a space setting is that the ideas so far are to use ocean terrain as space, so most the units would be naval, and it's my experience and personal opinion that the ai can't use their navy. Not knowing much about modding I don't know if you could fix this, but if you could and found a good way of representing things then that would be great. Would be so much easier with something like Test of Time.:(

And is there anywhere I could find guides or tutorials for learning to mod?

@ Pharel I'm just as new to this :)

Good point about Navy AI. Although if it's the only way to move to and colonize planets, you'd hope they'd figure it out. Or just make it a priority in the AI (Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but that can be done through XML, yeah?)

If you backtrack through this thread and find an entry from Woodelf, he has a link to the tutorial thread in his sig. lotsa good stuff there.

@ Civmansam So you are working on it?

@ Pharel I'm just as new to this :)

Good point about Navy AI. Although if it's the only way to move to and colonize planets, you'd hope they'd figure it out. Or just make it a priority in the AI (Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but that can be done through XML, yeah?)

If you backtrack through this thread and find an entry from Woodelf, he has a link to the tutorial thread in his sig. lotsa good stuff there.

@ Civmansam So you are working on it?

Let me put it this way. I can't say that I'm not working on it, but I definetly can't say I'm spending a lot of time on it

hahaha fair enough. please be aware though that I can help out with anything civilopedia/research based, especially as i still have a month before uni starts.

Just wondering:

Is this for BTS? If so, you could probably twist around the Final Frontier mod to your purposes; give each planet in the system a name, or something, and start from there.

Final Frontier style leaves no room for stuff like Jedi, Troopers and the like. We had a moderate sized discussion about it a coupla pages back

But you can create the room yourself... I think you should redone a rebellion like games at first (Empire vs Rebellion only) that will save you a lot of time and after add others civilization...

I agree that it makes more sense to produce it in phases... especialy seen as how it's not exactly the most steadily developed mod. That way, if work on it is completely shut down, there's some hope at least that part of it will be usable.

Hey im not a modder, yet haha, but i was wondering if there would be a vanilla version made with this. Ive ran into problems with BtS mods so i just run with vanilla.
Great idea and glad to see someone doing this.

I think the ideas have been here for well over a year, and work has been done for vanilla, but I think it just suddenly stopped after that.

Top Bottom