Star Wars Mod

Hi. I've been using/following civfanatics for ages but this is my first post. Ever. Go me! I was just wondering if anyone had a rough (obviously) ETA on this mod?

Welcome to the CFC moopoo, but I think your first post was wasted on vaporware. :(

hahaha i had no idea. My brother made the word up :)

so there's no chance that this reply=spam, is anyone interested re-restarting this? I have no modding experience (i kinda have the hang of XML. I've been reading tutorials on Python and Blender. I'm no where NEAR touching the SDK and C++), but I've been a SW fan from birth and would love to throw ideas at someome :D

^ My post was pretty spammy hey - I used to sell that fertiliser at my old job though. :lol:

Well as much as I would love a Star Wars mod, I'm no coder so I can't help get the project started. All I can do is supply some cool looking Jedi units (which I did). :D

If the mod ever gets to a playable state then I can make some cool stuff like Stormtroopers etc. Although I'm supposed to finish a lot of other stuff first. :)

I'd love to see this mod still work, but it would need to be scrapped and started over. The original version with round land masses as planets and ocean/coast as space works best IMO. Final Frontier type systems wouldn't work as well. And if you went that route you'd not need Chuggi's cool jedi units since they wouldn't be walking anywhere. :(

The mapscript enabling 4x4, 9x9, ect (round) land masses is something I don't think ever was worked on and needed to be.

And the biggest problem was not defining what part of Star Wars the mod would encompass. Second biggest problem was Civmansam's disappearance and the subsequent lack of leadership/unity.

Well I'd go for the "BattleFront" approach where you would have scenarios or mapscripts for each planet (all desert = tattooine, all forest = kashyuuk). Because Star Wars is just another space theme like Star Trek or StarGate without the Jedis.

I'd love to see this mod still work, but it would need to be scrapped and started over. The original version with round land masses as planets and ocean/coast as space works best IMO. Final Frontier type systems wouldn't work as well. And if you went that route you'd not need Chuggi's cool jedi units since they wouldn't be walking anywhere. :(

The mapscript enabling 4x4, 9x9, ect (round) land masses is something I don't think ever was worked on and needed to be.

And the biggest problem was not defining what part of Star Wars the mod would encompass. Second biggest problem was Civmansam's disappearance and the subsequent lack of leadership/unity.

Naah I haven't disappeared. I have been lurking for a while. It seems like every time this mod starts getting some momentum, I get flooded with work and can't do anything.

Then again who knows? Maybe I've been working on the mod this whole time.;)

Well, speak up if you're working on it. I have some sci-fi artwork I could finish... ;)

I think star wars will always be popular enough to garner some decent initial momentum, at least. the problem is keeping it going when the excitement wears off :)

About the maps. I, no offense to those who disagree, hate the idea of a Final frontier style mod. Not only coz there already is final frontier, but because it would represent only a tiny fraction of Star Wars.

I like Chugginators idea, but only very specific battles, eg clone wars battles.

Woodelf's suggestion is my second favourite (winner will be revealed soon :D), coz it has both gameplay... thingys :S

My favourite, which i saw mentioned and instantly shot down :), is to divide the Map into two parts, at an appropriate ratio. The first, smaller part, would be the map of the galaxy, with planets represented as single squares. the second larger part would be a jigsaw type collection of the planets.

before i continue, i have no idea what kind of problems this would create in scriptin/AI. So don't laugh at me if I'm aiming for the moon when we can only program the top of the tree. (That's No Moon!... sorry :D)

Suppose you wanted to transport some jedi from Tatooine to Coruscant. you could build a galactic transport in a Tatooine city, whereupon it would appear (thanks to some skilled scripting :p) on Tatooine in the galactic map. Load your Jedi in, move the transport to Coruscant, drop them off in a city, whereupon the jedi appear on coruscant in the planet side of the map.

There are several advantages to this last form (to my eye). First and formost, both Galactic and planetary gameplay can get their deserved attention and detail. Planets won't need to be square (ie 2x2, 3x3 in the "woodelf" model), and thus can allow for more detail. A planet could have more than one city, meaning two civs could battle for control for one Planet. Finally, we could use Chugginator's Jedi :D

so yeah. as i said, i know very little about scripting and ai, and therefore the problems this model could cause in these areas.

I still think my idea's best because then you will still have a clean map rather than having little flat tiles everywhere that are supposed to be planets. You could also have a FF styled one as well which wouldn't be too hard to make but honestly I don't think that would be very fun to play.

Does anyone know if my suggestion would be feasable? I really have no idea :crazyeye:

I still think my idea's best because then you will still have a clean map rather than having little flat tiles everywhere that are supposed to be planets. You could also have a FF styled one as well which wouldn't be too hard to make but honestly I don't think that would be very fun to play.

I completely agree with how boring a FF style map would be, mostly coz i dislike the idea of a Star wars mod/map that focuses on one of the two aspects. Perhaps we could have maps of systems, where a map focuses on several planets surrounded by space; gameplay would be similar to a continents map.

I was planning to post this in the sub-forum thingy for SW mod but this Thread appears more alive than those Zombies. I'm basically selling myself to be on the team :)

I have little modding experience but am well versed in the ways of the force. Plus, I have a Seven-binder (as in, it fills up seven of those 3 ring massive binders. It's so big they released a Many paged Index for it, i'd put it at well over a thousand pages) 120 part newsagent collection series on the entire Star Wars universe, called the Official Star Wars Fact File. It devotes sections: Battles & Events, Characters, Planets & Locations, Technology, Vehicles, and Droids. What I'm trying to say here is I got the Civilopedia, and Research, Down :D.

EDIT:
Oh yeah. I'm also about to Start a bachelor of Music Studies :woohoo: majoring in composition, and i'd love to write some stuff (even if it doesn't get used) for the mod.

I'd love to take your suggestions, its just that I don't trust myself enough to stay working on this project long enough. I've got some free time now, but that's going to change soon. I've already disappeared twice and I don't want to further a reputation of a quitter. The same goes for accepting new members, I don't know how long I'll be working on this project again.

That being said, if I do get a few versions out, I may seek help on some of the fine tuning on future versions. But for now I will have to say no thanks, because I don't know how long I'll be here. Thank you for the offer though, it seems like there are some people still interested in this mod.

perhaps we should let this rest for a while then. I'd love to have a leading role in this mod, but I have nowhere near the modding or designing experience to help lead a small mod, let alone the project a Star wars mod will no doubt turn out to be. I'll be attempting and hopefully posting some small and not so small mods and modcomps this year, and once i've got some experience, I'll put my hand up.

What we could also do is put in thoughts and ideas into this thread (or perhaps a new one, as this is 65 pages long), and have it organized, so that when we do get a leader and team, it's all there ready to start coding.

Sorry for my sometimes aggresive enthusiasm. I just don't wanna see Star Wars go the way of the Vapour.

Top Bottom