• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

State of Emergency Declared In Ferguson: It's Back...

Ferguson, the town of 20,000, just can't catch a break!
Here's another lovely story about life in Ferguson: The high school that Michael Brown graduated from lost its accreditation in 2012, due to poor test scores. Normally, students in Missouri school districts that lose accreditation (of which there were 3 at the time) are bused to another school. However, the cost of busing was deemed too high, so the accreditation requirement for the school was waived.

Here's another lovely story about life in Ferguson: The high school that Michael Brown graduated from lost its accreditation in 2012, due to poor test scores. Normally, students in Missouri school districts that lose accreditation (of which there were 3 at the time) are bused to another school. However, the cost of busing was deemed too high, so the accreditation requirement for the school was waived.
They should just expel them and leave them to their own devices.

Democracy Now: "Domestic Terrorism": Spate of Black Church Burnings Near Ferguson Raise New Hate Crime Fears

Over 10 days, six predominantly black churches have been set ablaze in the St. Louis area of Missouri. Police and fire officials say there’s no doubt the fires are deliberate. All the fires were set within a three-mile radius of northern St. Louis. The area includes Ferguson, where the police killing of unarmed African-American teen Michael Brown set off protests and a national movement more than a year ago. The burnings come after a series of fires at African-American churches across the South following the Charleston church massacre in June. Three of those fires were ruled as arson. White supremacists have targeted black churches with burnings dating back to the Civil War. We are joined by two guests: Rev. Rodrick Burton, pastor of New Northside Missionary Baptist Church, attacked by an arsonist on October 10, and Jeffrey Mittman, executive director of the ACLU of Missouri.

NERMEEN SHAIKH: Over 10 days, six predominantly black churches have been set ablaze in the St. Louis area of Missouri. The first fire was set October 8th at the Bethel Non-Denominational Church. Then three more churches were targeted: New Northside Missionary Baptist Church, St. Augustine Catholic Church and the New Testament Church of Christ. On Saturday, the New Life Missionary Baptist Church became the latest to be attacked. St. Louis Fire Captain Garon Mosby said there’s no doubt the fires are deliberate.

CAPT. GARON MOSBY: It is arson. These are being intentionally set. You know, they’re doors. These things aren’t—it isn’t spontaneous combustion, so they’re not occurring on their own.

AMY GOODMAN: All the fires were set within a three-mile radius of northern St. Louis. The area includes Ferguson, where the police killing of unarmed teen Michael Brown set off protests and a national movement more than a year ago. The burnings come after a series of fires at African-American churches across the South following the Charleston church massacre in June. Three of those fires were ruled as arson. White supremacists have targeted black churches with burnings dating back to the Civil War.

NERMEEN SHAIKH: Well, over the summer, the FBI launched an investigation into fires set at seven different African-American churches in seven days across the South. The fires began on June 21st, just days after the Charleston massacre, and occurred in six different states—Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and Ohio. At the time, Democracy Now! spoke to Richard Cohen, president of the Southern Poverty Law Center, about his organization’s call for congressional hearings into domestic terrorism.

RICHARD COHEN: We have called for those hearings before both the Senate and the House, the committees that look at the Department of Homeland Security. You know, since 9/11, we’ve—you know, our resources in the domestic terrorism fight have skewed perhaps too heavily towards jihadi terrorism, at the expense of the forms of domestic terrorism that we saw exhibited in the Charleston massacre. You know, what we think is, we should allocate our resources in accordance with the nature of the threat. 9/11 will always be the Pearl Harbor of our time, but that doesn’t mean all the resources should go in that direction.

NERMEEN SHAIKH: That was [Richard] Cohen of the Southern Poverty Law Center. Jeffrey Mittman, could you comment on what he said?

JEFFREY MITTMAN: Yeah, again, I think his comments are very apt. We know, here in St. Louis over the past year-plus, the community has been working to deal with a history of racism, policies and procedures that have targeted the African-American community—exclusions from housing, policing that is unequal, educational systems that are unequal. And what we see throughout our history is any time there’s an effort by the community to fight for its right, there are those who seek to use fear and who will target the churches, which have historically been a place where the community gathers to plan, to come together—a haven—and tries to send a message that if you fight for your rights, we will fight back against you.

AMY GOODMAN: Over the summer, Republican Congressmember Peter King of New York, who sits on the House Homeland Security Committee, disagreed with the idea that white supremacists could be more dangerous than Muslim extremists. He was speaking on ABC’s This Week.

REP. PETER KING: I can’t believe any real law enforcement officer, looking at the potential of threats that are out there—for instance, the Boston Marathon bombing, there were four killed, almost 300 people wounded. And the fact that in—that Eric Holder, who was a pretty liberal attorney general, said what kept him awake at night was the lone wolf Islamist terrorist who would carry out an attack. There’s no—listen, every murder is horrible. There’s no comparison between these white supremacists and an internationally coordinated movement, which, if the attacks were not stopped, we could have thousands and thousands of deaths.

AMY GOODMAN: Now, that is Congressmember Peter King of New York. I wanted to ask Reverend Rodrick Burton, pastor of the New Northside Missionary Baptist Church—we don’t know who set these fires. We do know that in the fires that happened after the Charleston, South Carolina, massacre, at least three have been called arson. But what are your thoughts on what he said, on what Congressman King said?

REV. RODRICK BURTON: Well, it’s very tragic that one of our representatives of our federal government is so ill-informed. Americans have always been the best at killing other Americans. There’s a history of that. And while as tragic as 9/11 was, if you take a brief survey of American history, in the 20th century, 19th century—you have anarchists, you have the Klan—Americans have always excelled any other outside group at harming other Americans.

I saw a news article related to the church fires in Saint Louis:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/us/suspect-is-charged-in-st-louis-church-fires.html?_r=0

Suspect Is Charged in St. Louis Church Fires

By MONICA DAVEYOCT. 30, 2015

CHICAGO — A man was accused on Friday of setting two fires at St. Louis churches, part of a series of seven arson attacks that had left places of worship around the St. Louis region on edge.

The man, David Lopez Jackson, 35, was charged with two counts of second-degree arson in connection to fires this month at Ebenezer Lutheran Church and at New Life Missionary Baptist Church, the authorities said. They said he was also considered a suspect in five other fires that were set in the doorways and entrances of churches during October.

Sam Dotson, the police chief in St. Louis, said investigators have not determined a motive for the arsons.

He said investigators linked Mr. Jackson to the fires through forensic evidence, including a container of gasoline from his car, and through video footage taken at one fire, which Chief Dotson said revealed an image of Mr. Jackson’s car.

Since Oct. 8, the fires had broken out at churches of various religious denominations and in buildings ranging from storefronts to far grander structures. They occurred in mainly African-American neighborhoods, leading some to suspect that race might be a factor.

The authorities said Mr. Jackson was black.

No one was injured in the fires and, in some cases, they were extinguished before significant structural damage occurred, fire officials said. In the case of at least one church, fire burned an exterior wall and the roof and left members holding their services outside.

Fears about more fires, though, had left church leaders pleading for help from the public and investigators, including arson experts and specially trained dogs, working as part of a task force in what became an intensive hunt.

At a news conference announcing the arrest on Friday, Mayor Francis G. Slay said it was “absolutely despicable that somebody would go after churches,” the very place where people go to get away from troubles.

The Rev. David Triggs, the pastor of New Life Missionary Baptist, said he was overjoyed by the announcement of an arrest. He said he viewed the intensive response by investigators, churchgoers and the public as evidence that the St. Louis region “can set our differences aside” in the face of crisis.

Mr. Triggs said the episode revealed “the power of brotherhood when we come together in a collective effort.”

Will they also charge the suspect with domestic terrorism or hate crime charges since black churches may have been targeted?

Would you have posted this if he turned out to be white?

Will they also charge the suspect with domestic terrorism or hate crime charges since black churches may have been targeted?

If I were the charging DA, I would. "Terrorism" is defined as an attack on a civilian target with the intent of changing religious, cultural or political policies. IMHO, this guys was mimicking KKK attacks of the past with an intention of starting a race war.

This tactic was used in the 60's by the white Manson Family in the Tate-LaBianca murders. They mimicked the language of black radicals in their attempts to start "Helter Skelter," a race war in which whites, with Charlie Manson as their head, would emerge victorious.

Would you have posted this if he turned out to be white?

That is a hypothetical question, but yes, I would have posted it.

I was watching the local news and caught a teaser that they found a suspect.
I went online to find an article with more details and saw the NYT piece. I posted the article as I recalled your prior post on this.

This doesn't appear to even be a hate crime, much less an act of terrorism. His bail is only $75K and the two churches which he has been charged with arson apparently had minimal damage. My guess is that he wanted it to appear that whites were attacking black churches, as they apparently had in other states since the Charleston shootings.

I just posted an article from a very reputable organization showing concern about a rash of fires targeting black churches across a number of states.

But you think it was "blaming white people".

the only people mentioned in your article are white supremacists and the KKK, your reputable source made the assumption whites were behind the "hate crimes".

the only people mentioned in your article are white supremacists and the KKK, your reputable source made the assumption whites were behind the "hate crimes".
I was just reading that article, thinking "I'd like to hear their reaction if a black culprit was found...".

This doesn't appear to even be a hate crime, much less an act of terrorism. His bail is only $75K and the two churches which he has been charged with arson apparently had minimal damage. My guess is that he wanted it to appear that whites were attacking black churches, as they apparently had in other states since the Charleston shootings.

That sounds like a hate crime to me, if it is ever going be useful. He was trying to cause inflamed tension by targeting black churches to make it look like whites where targeting blacks. That is the whole point of hate crimes, is it not?

You mean the obviously factual statement that white supremacists have often targeted black churches in the past? That all the other attacks in various Southern states quite possibly were white supremacists? :lmao:

I understand how this seems like a victory to those trying to rationalize and defend hatred of blacks in this country. To those who don't like the fact that there is so much institutional racism in this country they continue to try to deny even exists. Those who think there is nothing wrong with so many innocent blacks being killed by police who frequently get away with it. It is like a terrorist attack where everybody assumes it must be a Muslim, but it turns out to be a reactionary like Timothy McVeigh instead. That must be a heartfelt blow to many Islamophobes.

But to those who understand there is institutional racism, I don't think they are really all that upset at all that these fires appear to have been caused by a black man. It is actually a good thing that these particular attacks probably weren't due to racial hatred of blacks.

That sounds like a hate crime to me, if it is ever going be useful. He was trying to cause inflamed tension by targeting black churches to make it look like whites where targeting blacks. That is the whole point of hate crimes, is it not?
I see your point. But the prosecutors have not claimed it was a hate crime, at least not yet. There doesn't appear to be any reference in the law to intentionally trying to mislead others that a hate crime was committed is a hate crime. Not to mention they would have to prove that was his motive.

You mean the obviously factual statement that white supremacists have often targeted black churches in the past? That all the other attacks in various Southern states quite possibly were white supremacists? :lmao:

Exactly, you and your article made the assumption white people were to blame. And then you even accused somebody else of hypocrisy for posting the article about the cops catching the culprit. WTF?

I understand how this seems like a victory to those trying to rationalize and defend hatred of blacks in this country. To those who don't like the fact that there is so much institutional racism in this country they continue to try to deny even exists. Those who think there is nothing wrong with so many innocent blacks being killed by police who frequently get away with it. It is like a terrorist attack where everybody assumes it must be a Muslim, but it turns out to be a reactionary like Timothy McVeigh instead. That must be a heartfelt blow to many Islamophobes.

What a load of straw men

But to those who understand there is institutional racism, I don't think they are really all that upset at all that these fires appear to have been caused by a black man. It is actually a good thing that these particular attacks probably weren't due to racial hatred of blacks.

Some jagoff is trying to start a race war and thats not so bad because he's black?

But the prosecutors have not claimed it was a hate crime, at least not yet. There doesn't appear to be any reference in the law to intentionally trying to mislead others that a hate crime was committed is a hate crime. Not to mention they would have to prove that was his motive.

Maybe your reputable source can argue with the prosecutors about hate crimes

Exactly, you and your article made the assumption white people were to blame. And then you even accused somebody else of hypocrisy for posting the article about the cops catching the culprit. WTF?
It wasn't an "assumption" at all. It was a discussion regarding whether or not it might be true based on the obvious history of such attacks.

Nobody said it must be a white person who did it. Now did they? :lmao:

What a load of straw men
I never claimed you had those views. Now did I? I am merely pointing out the obvious.

Some jagoff is trying to start a race war and thats not so bad because he's black?
Where is your criticism of the other black churches which have been completely destroyed, and which quite well have been done by white supremacists all over the South since the Charleston hate crimes? :crazyeye:

White supremacists who intentionally target black churches and set them on fire for the sole reason that they belong to or are frequented by black people are despicable. Those that do that that should be charged and tried for their crimes. And if under the law those actions warrant charing them as a "hate crime", then so be it.

So now a black man has intentionally targeted black churches and set them on fire. He should be (and apparently has been) charged with a crime. And if his motives were to inflame racial tensions between the black and the white communities, then does that warrant simple arson charges or does that perhaps warrant escalated charges for a hate crime?

then does that warrant simple arson charges or does that perhaps warrant escalated charges for a hate crime?

I think it definitely counts as a hate crime. And, we'll note, he'll do his cause more harm than good. People will forget all the other arsons, and just remember this one.

Top Bottom