Stellar War 2: The Northern Legion

Lighthearter

President of the United States
You are a citizen of the planet Haven, a world of magic and enlightened monarchies. The Northlands, your home, have known peace for seventeen years since the battles at Mount Clemen and Kaluge that saw the Varvande family restored to the throne of the Jinon Empire eighteen years ago. The heroes of the fabled Last Prophecy have grown and settled, producing their children and embracing new lives. Most prominent of these is the Baroness Agente Varvande von Mailoral, one-time Half-Blood Princess of the North, third child of the deceased King Koromov the Twelfth. Now she is an Oracle, the most powerful sorceress to ever live, training a new generation of sorceresses and magicians from the great Mount Okholt, spiritual center of the dragon-clans of the North.

Once, the Mistress of the Oracular Academy hypothesized that a nearby star supported a world of men and machines - a warlike society that would one day threaten the security of Haven itself. No one believed her, even her closest friends and family - but now something has changed.

They have come.

Hailing from the planet Terra, or Earth, these invaders utilize machines and technology unlike anything Haven has ever seen. They seek to invade and subjugate the entire world in the name of their Federation - but the World of Magic will not lie down that easily.

You have been chosen by your homeland as part of a brand-new initiative: the Northern Legion. Members of all four of the Havenian North's major powers have arrived to draw swords against this juggernaut, months after their landing has been completed. Now they prepare to assault into the Northlands again - and you are all that stands in their way.

Lead the armies of Haven in battle against the Invaders. Choose wisely on the battlefield, for victory and defeat hinge on your actions. Cooperate with your fellow officers for seamless tactical execution of plans. Fight to drive the Protectorate Federation from the planet you call home - more than simply Haven itself is at stake.

For the Gods and Powers themselves are moving now . . . .

__

Welcome! I'm LH, and this is an Action Chatroom. To play, toss your hat in the ring by filling out this quick list.

Name:
Faction:
Bonus:
Supplies:
XP:
Units:

Let me go into more detail.

Name: This . . . should be obvious.
Faction: Pick one of the four Factions. Each Faction has a specialty in a certain class of unit, and can get a unique upgrade level for that unit.

Spoiler :
Jinon Empire: The North's greatest and largest nation, the Jinon Empire is a land of humans, though elves, dwarves and goblins make sizable minorities. The nation is ruled from Kaluge, the City of Kings, by the wise hand of King Mitenov the Second.
Focus Unit: Grunt Units
Advanced Unit Name: White Lancers

Ethara: Ethara is the land of the elves, a small nation south of Jinon's eastern provinces, nestled in a forested gap between the Stonewall Mountains and the chaotic Central Plains. The elves have seen turmoil and triumph as political infighting threatened to destroy their haven, but with the help of Gyrean Rangers, King Asona now has managed to reunite his father's once-proud realm.
Focus Unit: Irregular Units
Advanced Unit Name: Gyrean Rangers

Kepholon: To the north of Ethara and Jinon, crouched on the coast of the Kepholonian Gulf, lies the homeland of the goblin race, surrounded by the imposing Stonewall Mountains - the First Defense, as they know them. They are a proud, headstrong and noble people, fighting always for what they feel is good and right. The paladins of Kepholon are a ken unlike any other cavalry Haven has ever known, and the horse-masters of this land are the greatest of their art across all of Haven. King Aeton the Fifth has kept his people strong in the wake of his father's death - and now the call to arms rings through the goblin halls yet again.
Focus Unit: Mounted Units
Advanced Unit Name: Paladins

The Dragonclans: The Dragonclans are not a nation, per se, as much as they are a loose confederation of what are best termed autonomous city-states. Every dragonhold, as the clans call the mountain homes of the dragon and dwarven races, is a sovereign nation in its own right, and the Clan-banner represents only those willingly committed to serve under it, answering only to their own council of chiefs. Since the end of the Last Prophecy's events eighteen years past, Baroness Agente has settled the Oracular Academy in the sacred Mount Okholt, center of dwarven-and-dragondom. The Mistress of the Academy serves as one of the few that all the clans would heed in this time, despite her status as a Jinon noblewoman.
Focus Unit: Mage Units
Advanced Unit Name: Oracles

Bonus: Now that you have a Faction chosen, you need to choose between Training and Equipment bonuses. Training gives you a 15% discount on cost to level up your faction-specifc Focus units, whereas Equipment gives you that discount on the cost to upgrade them to the next model. Only applies to your Focus Unit.

Supplies: The amount of military supplies(weapons/food/clothing/replacement troops/etc.) you have. You start with 200 Supplies. You will earn more based on your performance in missions.

XP: XP, or Experience Points, is used to train your units to the next level. Whenever you level up your unit, you pick one of the two options for an ability at that level. When you upgrade your unit to the next model, it gains the other ability than the one you chose for the first level. Your unique unit will gain the other ability for the second level as well, meaning that a unique unit will have all four abilities for level one and two, then two more from three and four. The first level is free and available as soon as you select a unit. The leveling tree and its effects are shown here:

Spoiler :

Known Errors:
-Charge! has a cooldown of 2 Turns.
-Will to Fight has a cooldown of 2 Turns.
-Hunker Down counts as a Shoot Action.

Units: You start with a cap of three units. You can expand this by spending supplies(shown in the image, along with the cost to upgrade.) Acquiring units is free, but you can only acquire units at the lowest level and earliest model. Any further leveling up and upgrading requires expenditure. Here are the available units and their stats, listed from Grunt at the top to Irregular, Mounted and finally Mage:

Spoiler :

The game functions on what I call the ADDER System. ADDER stands for Aim, Dodge, Damage, Experience, Resilience. Aim increases the unit's odds to hit, Dodge increases their ability to avoid enemy attacks and make them miss, Damage is how powerful their attack is if it hits, Experience is how many points you've poured into the unit, and Resilience is how much armor the unit has - how much damage will be subtracted from a successful hit. All units can see five tiles.

You are expected to name your units. Examples include "X's Company" "Xth Regiment" "Fightin' Xth" or such. Any obscene, trollish, bigoted or otherwise unsavory names will result in a kick.

Other Notes:

-All units can perform two actions: Overwatch and Take Cover. Overwatch(Shoot Action) means that if an enemy moves into their range, your unit will automatically fire on the enemy turn, with -2 Aim. Take Cover(Move Action) temporarily gives your unit +2 Dodge.
-The Federation has its own units and rules, and they play by different, far more sinister rules than you do. Beware their capabilities and keep your eyes open for their tricks.
-Terrain is important to keep track of. There are black, green/dark gray, brown, light brown, gray, blue, red and white tiles.
--Black represents the fog of war, and things you cannot see.
--Green/Dark Gray represents open ground, with dark gray serving for open ground that is man-made(think bridges and streets).
--Brown, Red and Light Brown stand for Forests, Cover and High Ground, respectively. Forests give +3 Dodge to any units in them, Cover gives +2 Resilience, and High Ground gives +3 Aim. All three will instantly end the action of any unit that moves onto one(exception: Irregulars in forests).
--Gray tiles represent cliff faces - your troops cannot climb these and will have to go around.
--Blue tiles represent water, such as rivers or lakes. Your units cannot move into these tiles and will have to find a way around.
--White tiles are obscured by smoke or some other effect, and you cannot see what is occurring inside them.
-Every unit has two actions: Move and Shoot. The Move Action can only be used to move, whereas the Shoot action can either be used to shoot its weapon or to move again. You can take them in either order.

Head to Head:

For those interested, I will also be taking requests for Head to Head matchups. Those who desire will be able to assemble forces from one of three possible supply/pop cap totals from both Havenian and Federation arsenals.

I will consider requests for 1v1s and 2v2s, but no larger and no lopsided engagements. I will create the map for the battle, and any player can bet Supplies and XP on the outcome, including betting the House(me) if they desire. I will not at this time consider skirmish against NPCs(me). I have the authority to declare bets null and void if I think there has been foul play.

Federation units and their abilities will be listed at such a time as a head to head is proposed, considered, accepted and scheduled. At that point, the Resource value will be determined and the players will be left to record offline their unit consist for the battle.

Available Values: (Unit Cap 3 assumed as baseline, purchasing another slot costs the same as in campaign)

-3000 Supply
-5000 Supply
-10000 Supply(for a LARGE battle)

Alright! The game will be played in this chatroom. Come one, Come all, maybe someday I'll actually hold a mission!

Theoretical first mission tomorrow night.

-L

Name: Lady Edwin Stanly of Kirkling

Faction: Jinon
Bonus: Equipment

Supplies: 262.5
XP: 50

Units:

Regular
Name: The Nightwatch
XP: 150
HP: 10
Perks: Tough Guy
Hunker Down

Guardsmen
Name: The Dark Hunters
XP: 150
Perks: Tough Guy
Pound 'Em
Hunker Down

Adept
Name: The Black Hands
XP: 400
HP: 6
Perks: Heal
Will To Fight
Earthquake

DT

Name: Marcus Antonius Venator
Faction: Ethara
Bonus: Training
Supplies: 200
XP: 0
Units:
-1st Partisan Rgmt. (Petyr-1)
--Unseen
--8/8 HP
--0 XP
-1st Grunt Rgmt. (Gyrus-1)
--Tough Guy
--10/10 HP
--0 XP
-2nd Grunt Rgmt. (Gyrus-2)
--Tough Guy
--10/10 HP
--0 XP

Name: Ceryth
Faction: Dragonclan

Supplies: 500
XP: 300

Units:

Regular
Name: Koth's First
Perks: Pound 'Em

Partisan
Name: Risath's First
HP: 8
Perks: Unseen

Adept
Name: Astuith's First
Perks: Heal

Name: Tywin
Faction: Kepholon

Units:
Tyrion's Hussars
Class: Cavalry
HP: 10/10
Move: 5
Dodge: 2
Perks:
- Level 1: Charge!
- Level 2: N/A
- Level 3: N/A
- Level 4: N/A

Jaime's Dragoons
Perks:

Kevan's Lancers
Perks:

Name: Connor the 1st

Faction: Kepholon

Units:

Cavalry
Name: Other Warriors
Perks: Like the Wind

Cavalry
Name: Light Warriors
Perks: Charge

Cavalry
Name: Dark Warriors
Perks: Charge

Name: Thane Sigurd Ljungstrand of the Smokey Raven Clan
Faction: Dragonclans
Units:

Crow Song Platoon
Partisan
Unseen

Raven Guard
Cavalry
Like the Wind

Priesthood of Hrafn the Raven God
Adepts
Heal

Name: Nikola Markovic
Faction: Dragonclans
Supplies: 600
XP: 450

Units:

Name: 1st Mount Okholt "Paralysis" Platoon
Unit: Adepts
Perks: Stun

Name: 2nd Mount Okholt " Nikola's Pride" Platoon

Name: 3rd Mount Okholt "Shock" Platoon

So, enough people pestered me for a training mission that I ran one. And it was awesome.

Rewards:

-Ceryth: 450XP & 400 Supply
-Nikola: 450XP & 400 Supply
-Connor: 450XP & 400 Supply
-Edwin Stanly: 450XP & 400 Supply

All unit and HP losses healed, as this is just training.

No mission tomorrow unless I get swarmed by pester-ers.

-L

On second think, this AC is kaputski. I apologize for the abrupt turnaround, but I no longer feel I can effectively run it and this is a bad week for me in general. Thank you to everyone who joined, and I hope you'll all try Please Enter the System, Pandora Syndicate or the other fine ACs running around here.

I'll host a better one soon.

-L

Top Bottom