1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Storm Over Europe (SOE)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Civinator, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

But I had to do a lot with those switches in the last old biq, as I made them (because I was not aware of that problem) :) - and I don´t repeat this with the current biq and the adjusted unit stats. I don´t stop learning every day. :D

2. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

Same here... there is a Plethora of things regarding Modding the CIV Game that no one knew from the beginning that we now know.
    ... and most of the understanding and perhaps especially the most important things to understand come to us at the end of many years :scan:

3. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Thank you Belofon and Civinator for your answers. I will try this trick to avoid the bug.

I have another question. Is there a limit to the number of strategic resources that can be added to a scenario in the editor? I don't have my home computer in front of me atm otherwise I would check for myself but if I remember correctly I can add as many resources as I want, no?

4. Civinator

Very welcome Moff.

Unfortunately there is a limit of maximal 256 resource types (strat./lux./bonus all together). And additionally you have to be careful not to run into the ghost resources bug (32 strat./lux.resources maximal, if placed properly).

5. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

Ah, I see. Ok I will be careful.

6. Nanuk

Nanuk Warlord

Hey @Civinator you mentioned something which just blew my mind. If you set mountains to impassable, then there is no way to clean up pollution should it fall on a mountain. I had never before considered this and now I'm wondering if there is a way to keep mountains as impassable but also either not have pollution fall on mountains (via city or fallout), or at least somehow clean it up. How does the game keep pollution from falling on coast/sea/ocean? Perhaps there is a way to set it up so mountains do the same? I honestly don't recall ever seeing pollution on mountains before, but it's been a while since I played late game.

7. Civinator

Nanuk, I explained it in one of the first posts in this thread:

Pollution: Pollution in SOE is eliminated as far as it is possible. Production pollution is minimized as every building in SOE has the flags to minimize every kind of pollution. Population pollution is minimized by not allowing size 3 cities. So there is only fallout-pollution left, which can´t be cleaned up on mountains. But this kind of pollution in SOE is only possible lately in the game, when nukes are available and the pollution effects are set in a way that changes of the terrain are not possible.

This is more than sufficient for SOE. Not included above are volcanoes, because the SOE map doesn´t hold volcanoes. The question what stops pollution from appearing in water terrain would be a question for Flintlock (or Quintillus), but I think both are involved in clearing more important questions yet (p.e. the AI routine for artillery).

8. Civinator

Unfortunately in the last days there was not much progress with SOE due to RL issues. But I think here is something, that could interest you:

CarrierRun.gif

HeavyAttack.gif

BCAttack.gif

CLAttack.gif

gugu84 likes this.
  9. Civinator

There was longer time no post about the next version of SOE, due to the cornucopia of new settings in C3C scenarios, that are possible now with the Flintlock patch - but SOE is not forgotten. All the new things need a lot of testing and unfortunately my time for modding Civ 3 is still limited.

Here are some screenshots from the new settings of the supply shipping from Canada to Britain in the next version of the WW2 scenario SOE, that I revealed today in the Flintlock patch thread. The battle in the Atlantic will become much more severe.

Convoy path uncovered:

Land-sea-intersections covered:

In that context: A belated happy birthday to Wyrmshadow, who did most of the wonderful units of SOE. :bday:

kamil8787 likes this.
  10. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

:thumbsup:

Can't wait to invade Canada.

11. Stew Pid

Stew Pid Warlord

You'll have to fight wave after wave of their "zombies" first as they say.

Keep up the good work on SOE.

12. Civinator

In the Flintlock Patch thread I gave some explanations how the "volcano path" is working. I will also post it here, as it belongs massively to SOE, too:

Nearly 10 years ago I explained how the massive "amphibious" invasions are working in SOE: In reality they are not "amphibious", but are using small landbridges: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/storm-over-europe-soe.454785/page-11#post-16012557

These landbridges are covered by ruin graphics, as these big graphics can hide the land terrain under those graphics. For its use, the terrain, that should be covered, must allow cities, but no other terrain improvements, that would trigger away the ruin graphics. In the SOE scenario there are no settlers and therefore no new cities can be founded "in the water", destroying the ruin graphics. There is no river terrain used. For the screenshots I used the old SOE ruin graphics covering coastal terrain, now graphics covering seaterrain would look a little bit better.

Along the "volcano path" land units can be moved, across the "edges" between the volcano terrain rhombes, sea units can cross the "volcanoe path" (in the same manner the Panama- and the Suez Canal are working). I used volcanoes for that path, as it is a WW2 scenario and there is an additional danger by mines and abstract submarine attacks for the land units on that path (the graphics for volcanoe eruptions can be changed to other graphics).

The part I like the most about the new land connections between America, Africa and Europe is the following:

America is not on the SOE map. There are only a few cities with transparent city graphics, containing special strategic resources, symbolizing the convoys from Canada and the US during WW2.

This allows using different ship graphics for land units that are produced in those "convoy cities". Per example a "transported" Sherman tank can use other freighter graphics than a shipped Grant tank. These ship graphics are "fitting", as all movement is looking to be "on water" (so in reality it is on land).

These transported "convoy" units only have very weak unit stats and can be easily destroyed by Axis naval units with lethal land bombardment (what even German submarines will have - but cannot use in most other situations) if these attacking units achieve to come close to the "volcano path". If such a transported land unit is destroyed, a ship is sinking. SOE uses a special "programmed" map with many zones of different and partly unique combinations of resources, I have named "microzones" many years ago. One such microzone per example is the city of Glasgow. Here the AI (and the human player) can upgrade their transported units with ship graphics to the correct land unit graphics with the adequate stats (p.e. in Glasgow the freighter symbolizing the transported Sexton from Canada becomes the real Sexton that cannot use the "volcanoe path" any longer. This graphical setting can only work for landunits that can only move in one direction (here from Canada to Britain). It will not work for Axis units. Per example if an Axis player really wants to conquer the city "Convoys from Canada", this can be done, but the graphics while moving along the "volcano trial" will always be the normal graphics and stats of those landunits (it would be crazy trying to conquer Russia with freighters in this scenario).

These settings still need some testing, especially I have to look if the pollution by the volcanoes will destroy the ruin graphics. In that case I have to use a different terrain for the "volcano path".

Stew Pid likes this.
  13. Civinator

The ruin graphics were not destroyed by the volcano pollution graphics. The land- / sea intersection tiles are flanked by deepwater harbor tiles set with the Quintillus editor, so even ships which are not allowed to pass coastal terrain (forbidden for units with the wheeled flag) - especially German submarines - can perform bombard attack on these landunits, that are looking like ships.

14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Archivist, redux Supporter

Best to consult @Vuldacon, then :)

:thumbsup: