Strategy discussion

That one is infinitely better than the most recommended on the gold. Nice limited overlap with Quelimane(sp?), on river and allows room for Cape Town as well.
Perfect for the Dutch, English, Portuguese and anyone else with a desire to teach the savages some culture.

As I have recently come back to playing conquest games of RFC I thought I would list a few hints and tips to help anyone else see the cool video scene at the culmination of the game. For me there are three main conquest strategies, for early, middle and late game. An early conquest game revolves around killing all the old world cities before the Maya spawn in America, and had been done (not by me) with Egyptians, Babylonians, Greeks and possibly others, see this thread for in depth guides and more general Conquest help (learnt it all from u AP n Blizzrd)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=284630&highlight=conquest+challenge
Though I don’t know if this has been redone with the new patch I’m sure some are still possible. However the games that interest me are the middle and late game conquests. I’ll go over the late game tips first.

First build <11 cities and focus on building up a tech lead, while trying to get any useful vassals. When you are satisfactorily advanced steamroller the world with your tanks/infantry/bombers/nukes as you see fit. As you cannot collapse in a golden age save all your great people, Taj Mahal&#8217;s or national golden age wonders till your conquest starts, then try and crush the world in as few turns as possible. If your golden age runs out gift cities to your next conquest to gain stability, and try and run war civics like nationhood and police state to improve war stability. The best civ for this strategy is Germany, and it is a good choice for your first conquest victory. If you build science in your production centres you should reach Industrialism quickly, and Panzers are the ideal quick conquest vehicle. Any other fast teching European country is also good for this method.

For a more interesting game I prefer a constant gradual world conquest, starting as soon as you can build siege weapons. If you are aiming for a middle game conquest victory you will probably not have advanced weapons, so you need to go for quantity. Ignore limiting yourself to 10 cities and damn the science penalties, capturing and then developing other civs&#8217; production cities will keep your massive armies topped up. As you don&#8217;t have advanced civics or 300turn golden ages more attention has to be paid to stability levels, so the quicker you control 25-30 cities the sooner you can get stability boosts from liberating them. Remember that successful wars will also help stability, as long as you never stop! As your massive empire will stagnate your science it is better to capture vassals, preferably Europeans, to conduct your research and then steal the techs from them. If all your efforts are poured into espionage your tech costs are immediately halved by stationary spies. Remember if you are constantly expanding your empire your economy will keep growing too, with all the stability benefits, so don't rest on your laurels! Don't worry about collapses, just make sure when in danger that all your troops are in your capital or out campaigning, as anything in foreign lands will not revolt when your civ collapses, then jus go and recapture your old cities.

My favourite civ for this strategy used to be Persia, with cheap shock troops and a great strategic starting position China, India, Mesopotamia, Africa and Eastern Europe are all within easy reach. The UA also acts like occupation with a stability bonus upon city capture. If you can launch immediate conquests lots of the 3000BC civs are good for this strategy, and the Mausoleum of Massuleaus (sp?) and Stonehenge are MASSIVE helps in preparing for conquest victories. However a recent game with Babylon opened my eyes, if you can get past the starting position their UA is amazing for conquest, as captured civs can immediately become productive. Any revolts or collapses can also be put down in one turn! If playing as Babylonia get Music ASAP, as the newly conquered cities are gonna need quick culture hits.

Siege weapons are sort of useless in late game because they take too long to get next to cities (as opposed to mech infantry, tanks and cavalry). What you really need are vassals' cities to put your bombers and/or fighters to knock walls down and deal collateral damage.

For that reason, I never research artillery (usually stolen from a vassal).

Oh yeah definitely, when I said seige I meant catapults :). As soon as you can mass produce those, the world is your oyster!

Nice work, Tlonitte. I might have to fire up vanilla RFC sometime (instead of RFCE) and try this. :thumbsup:

Siege weapons are sort of useless in late game because they take too long to get next to cities (as opposed to mech infantry, tanks and cavalry). What you really need are vassals' cities to put your bombers and/or fighters to knock walls down and deal collateral damage.

For that reason, I never research artillery (usually stolen from a vassal).

I don't research artillery in regular CivIV or RFC. Bombers are better. Also, you have fewer losses to contribute to instability.

Tlonitte - what about the instability from suicide siege?

Tlonitte - what about the instability from suicide siege?

Yeah this is true, and I wouldn't advise losing 10 catapults to win a city, but in the early and middle game economy is priceless, so any expansion to worthwhile cities will usually work. I find that courthouses everywhere, with lots of cottages and emancipation (from stonehenge) will keep you stable through most early wars and expansion. Forbidden and Summer palaces also help a lot.

PS I think you only lose stability if you lose more units than the enemy, so mass siege suicide is best against big groups of enemies, that can then be cut down with other troops.

I'd like to try for a diplo-AP win, ideas?

Diplo/AP wins are very simple--you just have to have a little less than enough votes for an outright win (because otherwise the vote won't be available), and have several vassals push you over the limit. The hard part is to make sure the 2nd candidate isn't one of your vassals, because he/she will always vote for him/herself rather than you.
So play it like a domination game except concentrate on population (i.e. very large cities instead of several smaller cities) rather than land.

AP wins are harder (spreading religion just enough but not overwhelmingly so) than diplo.

Yeah I've won a UN-diplo before. Helps when 3/4 of the world is at war with the last three remaning rival civs...I had "friendly" across the board and the other civs were like, follow FDR, he's got this! Passed a few resolutions before running the vote for the win......As for the AP win, yeah, still trying? I'm guessing the same principles apply, spread the religion, not too far as you say and then get people to "vote for me," in the words of "meinteam" or the other guy who makes the CIV 4 videos.

Tlönitte;10530369 said:
Yeah this is true, and I wouldn't advise losing 10 catapults to win a city, but in the early and middle game economy is priceless, so any expansion to worthwhile cities will usually work. I find that courthouses everywhere, with lots of cottages and emancipation (from stonehenge) will keep you stable through most early wars and expansion. Forbidden and Summer palaces also help a lot.

PS I think you only lose stability if you lose more units than the enemy, so mass siege suicide is best against big groups of enemies, that can then be cut down with other troops.

First paragraph is a good point if you have fewer than 10 cities. The issue with the PS is that high combat losses are if you lose more than half of the enemy losses. So therefore, if you lose 8 units and kill 10, you lose stability. Of course, your enemy loses even more stability. Actually, where possible I like to go after independents or natives. No diplo hits and destabilized neighbors.

AP diplo win is harder on large maps like RFC, but still doable. You might have to gift Iceville to Toku. UN diplo needs diplomacy unlike regular CivIV where diplomation counts as UN victory. I usually wind up with diplomation in regular CivIV.

I haven't been able to load any of the strategy guides for a couple of weeks now. I assume the site got shut down or stuff got moved?

Looks like the wiki section has been recently corrupted, but the rhye.civfanatics.net site is certainly still there.

Anyways, is there a limit on what huts can provide you with? I find it silly, as I just popped Astronomy as Arabia and Math as Babylon(That was really cool.I could take over the wheat quickly, and also got a big boost to culture early).

I believe that Astronomy is the most advanced tech that can be popped from a hut.

Which techs do you guys research as Mali before decreasing the slider to 0%? I usually research fishing and sailing, and get whatever I can from trading Divine Right. The Euros are very stingy and dont give feudalism/civil service for DR. I am asking this Q because I cant complete Mali even on Viceroy(missed the last UHV by 2000:gold:):(

Top Bottom