1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Subdued Animals in C2C discussions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Noriad2

Noriad2 Emperor

@Niveras: "tamed small animal" !? What you are trying to do is kill immersion by reducing the world to abstract objects. While that is to a certain extent necessary, it is also a bad thing because it makes the game bland.

tmv likes this.
  2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Animals - Part of the aim behind animals in general was to replace some of the weird combinations of bonuses required for Cultures and to enable more Cultures. If we reduce the number of tamed Tapirs to one and use the base Culture of the nation we can't be sure they have actually been in the correct area for the Cultures. Especially if we want another set or rarer Cultures.

Having a single tamed herbivour would mean that you could not trade the unit to get any you were missing and if you had none you would have trwo make two trades to get one. One to get the bonus and then one to get the unit so you can build the bonus.

Story - I find having the unavailable story buildings showing up on the Entertainer line of units useful. Unfortunately the currently available method we have for hiding them would also hide the shrines that the Great Prophet can't build in this city. A function which is very useful if you have many shrines and can't remember which you have built.

We have considered promotions for entertainer units like you suggest. It is part of the Ideas Project which is being discussed and designed. Once we have nutted out all the bugs in the design it will move int the building phase.

New animals. I am only doing one new animal so that I can write up what needs to be done to get a new animal into C2C so others can do it and not rely on me.

Tamed sheep. I would like to try something different with sheep and goats. I would like to change the way these work including all the buildings to better reflect reality. However that is a moderately sized project and is on hold. Adding them in the same as everything else is on my list but requires some art.

3. Rmi

Rmi Warlord

Instead of making a tamed sheep or group anything, make a tamed 'rubber ducky' with every herd option in there. And require the right myth to activate it in a city. It would really clean up the build-bar and help out AI's too.
    For all the Zoo cages etc, you can make a 'zoo rubber ducky'.
    Sometimes ease of life outweighs some immersion.

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

You're being sarcastic, right?

5. Rmi

Rmi Warlord

Only about the rubber ducky part. It's a pet peeve of mine that we can't train a tamed version of every herd animal. Collecting and spreading the animals is my favorite part of the game, it just hits my ocd in the right spot. A filler unit for the herds we don't have yet would imho be great.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Mine too.

7. Niveras

Niveras Prince

Yes, I did consider the current situation was a deliberate design decision, but neglected to mention.

While I feel the current design has limitations due to inconveniences with the interface, I accept that it is not going to change and retract the suggestion.

8. Dr. Elephant

Dr. Elephant Warlord

Thanks. I will try it later this week,
    But, except it, do I need more programs for...play with models?

9. Dr. Elephant

Dr. Elephant Warlord

Technically, it was already an model for Elephant Bird, in the last expansion for ZT2...But it was...argh...ugly.
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...nt_Bird.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160704031914

It was, however, quite possible to modify it.
    Badly, as I still have to learn the basis, an more experiment person could view what can be done. For example, dilophosaur, have made ZT2 bcak then. And, id it always have the programs, it could easely try an reskin.

Also @dilophosaur
    If we add the South America elephants: Do you think that, for Cuvieronius, we could use the Palaeoloxodon model from Lucas9108? http://zt2downloadlibrary.wikia.com/wiki/Palaeoloxodon_(Luca9108)
    and the Tyranachu/Bill Stegodon model for Notiomastodon?
    http://zt2downloadlibrary.wikia.com/wiki/Stegodon_(Bill)

dilophosaur likes this.
  10. Dr. Elephant

Dr. Elephant Warlord

The animal models don't work, or the problem was their details/textures who don't show properly?

11. Shoobs

Shoobs Prince

I know there's going to be saying "Bah mah world maps" when I bring this up...but I find it incredibly rare for certain areas of the world to have significant numbers of animals spawn if they're, say, deep on the southern end of the map or say in the midst of the Indian ocean.
    These areas tend to have LOTS of neanderthals in them.

12. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I am not having/seeing any problems.

The world is divided into 6 regions that cover the whole planet and the animal spawns are matched to that region. That means that the Indian Ocean area either gets animals from Africa or Oceania. If it has too few then those regions should be also. Most animals have an east-west spawn area that covers the whole region they are in. Only a very few don't.

When we did the Southern Hemisphere we extended most animal ranges all the way south also, based on the idea that those in the southern regions of Africa or Oceania would have spread there.

13. dilophosaur

dilophosaur Prince

Yeah. These models should be alright for the South American elephants. For Asian, you may use Sinomastodon made by CA (Christina Aguilera) based on Asian Elephant by Aurora Designs team.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

@Toffer90 Make sure to monitor this thread and offer some advice for Dr. Elephant if he's lost on stuff. You're more qualified to give it than I.

15. Shoobs

Shoobs Prince

All I can tell you is that in nearly 500 turns
    http://puu.sh/AdGn8/179a6fda72.jpg

The bottom part of that, barely any animals spawn at the very southern edge, the north atleast has deer and such... here I'm lucky to see birds in much of that area. Most of the time I see barbarians or neanderthals. I understand cold temperatures equate a less likely chance to have animals in them, but to literally have nothing at all is disconcerting and a detriment both to the player and to the AI. Particularly since the north edge of the map can have Deer, Reindeer, multiple kinds of bears, cats, and Moose running around willy nilly.

16. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

:thumbsup: @Dr. Elephant: I know a thing or two about civ graphics, don't hesitate to ask if you're lost.

17. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

If you are talking Antarctic then yes there is a lack of animals.

18. Shoobs

Shoobs Prince

The bottom band for the "antartic" is about 10-12 tiles, maybe more. Even then, things still did not spawn all that much between the 12-17 band either. It made hunting nigh impossible and the AI gets put around that spot quite often as well.

19. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

All I can say is that in my experience of starting in that area is that I have no lack of animals to hunt. The bottom band of up to 5 tiles may be a bit sparse in different types but I usualy find it full of penguins and seals.

dilophosaur likes this.
  20. IdioticUlt1mara

IdioticUlt1mara Prince

I find hunting not too bad at the bottom band - actually I prefer it as there tends to be MORE animals in my experience - I find a heck of a lot of moose, foxes, musk ox, penguins and seals. However if you want a wider range of animals then yes hunting around here is difficult. It is also relatively difficult around this region as the 2 main sources of food/hammers are the musk ox - which is aggressive and decent base strength - and the moose - which has high base strength - other than that I find it enjoyable to be near this region. Another reason I like it near the south is no1 wants to build cities in that region until later in the game so animals spawn for longer too

dilophosaur likes this.