1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Subdued Animals in C2C discussions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

You must be playing with a mod that removes the spawn ranges on animals. Musk Ox only appear in the north in the base C2C.

2. IdioticUlt1mara

IdioticUlt1mara Prince

Nope I just ****ed up :p the south pole? Hmm yeah no Musk Ox there lol. tbh I start/use the south pole so few times I would not really know how it is there

dilophosaur likes this.
  3. Shoobs

Shoobs Prince

In my last game, where I'm making this complaint based off of... not a single penguin nor seal was seen nor killed. It was pretty barren with the exception of a few stray eagles and oddly flamingos... maybe some stray lizards... but certainly nothing of serious note and the hunters hunting distantly were far more experienced than those hunting in the south/near my borders.

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Suggestion by Nevershutup

Can the Myth etc buildings be replaced by a Tech style tree?
    Currently there are a few types of myth these define when the buildings go obsolete and change the values of what they provide.
    • Non-ocean animals
    • Taxonomy (ancient) non-ocean animals
    • Ocean animal small
    • Ocean animal large
    • Taxonomy (ancient) ocean animals
    Each Myth provides one :science: which is later replaced by :culture:. Some make other buildings cheaper. (For another discussion but it should probably be local stability rather than :culture:.)

Each Story provides one :education:.

Each Stories provides one :education: in its city and basically a free Story building in every city.

5. eruanion

eruanion Chieftain

My experience with sea hunting so far: somewhat frustrating. When I get around to building my first boats, I anticipate being able to hunt all of the animals I see (well, I can see them when I play with Hide and Seek off) wandering along the coast. But those animals retreat from the coast to the sea and rarely venture to the coast. When I research seafaring, they retreat to the ocean and rarely venture into the sea where I can reach them. Is it intended for sea hunting kills to be fairly rare compared to land animal kills? Are sea animals coded to run away from boats (as opposed to most land animals, which just wander around)?

6. Harrier

Harrier Deity

What game settings and version are you using?

My current game (latest release) - on Noble in Classical Era, I can attack or be attacked by sea creatures nearly every turn (coastal or Sea).

7. eruanion

eruanion Chieftain

Monarch or Immortal difficulty, C2C_World Standard Size map (temperate, medium sea level). Up until my current game, Hide and Seek was off.

I have Peace Among NPCs off, so far I've been satisfied with the number of land animals with it off (there is healthy competition between the AI and me for animals, and areas can get overhunted and then it takes a few turns for more animals to spawn). Do you play with Peace Among NPCs on? Maybe with it off, sea animals are killing each other so their numbers are lower?

(Reckless Animals and Animals Stay Out are also off, Teleport Hunting Awards is on).

There was a point in a previous game where I had Seafaring and I could see a lot of whales hanging out in the ocean, rarely venturing closer to land. Although that might make some sense for whales to not spend a lot of time in Sea tiles. Maybe I'm not prioritizing building boats enough and the AI is sending outriggers into my territory and overhunting my coastal waters.

8. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

All animals are designed to flee to safety when attacked. Most will flee to safety if they sense something human near by that is stronger than them. This latter was toned down for land animals and birds not sure if it was for sea animals.

Yes it is more difficult to kill sea animals than land animals but it should be about the same as birds that can fly. They have this extra dimension they can travel in that humans can't.

Thunderbrd likes this.
  9. eruanion

eruanion Chieftain

I can see how you might want sea hunting to be more difficult. I'll try out different things. But based on my experience so far, I would vote for tuning down sea animal cowardice at least a little. On land, as you progress through the prehistoric era (and gain access to better hunting units) you gain an advantage over land animals: your hunters are faster than most land animals and (apart from birds) there is almost no escape for land animals. At sea, all a sea animal has to do to escape is move a tile or two out (at least on standard maps) towards the sea or ocean. So to me, land hunting feels satisfying in a way that sea hunting does not.

Though I'm not sure what setting results in Harrier getting a lot more sea animals than me. Maybe I am hanging around too much in certain areas with my boats? If a sea animal flees a boat, will it ever move back towards the coast if I move my boat away from the general area?

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Sea animals, like birds, can simply submerge (rather than fly) to easily disengage from the battle with a ship. They are tough to catch for a while. Equipment was planned to give 'pursuit' against these with fishing equipment and nets. Eventually perhaps we'll get that in place.

11. eruanion

eruanion Chieftain

To be clear, my main issue was not with sea animals fleeing combat when attacked. It was with there being (in my experience) few sea animals around to attack or to be attacked by. (At least on the coast and sea).

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

If you are playing with Hide & Seek, you'll get more due to other enemies not seeing them as often and what you need to see them mostly is submersion visibility promos on a ship in the group.

13. Fermongu

Fermongu Warlord

I have never seen Elasmotherium to spawn
    Anyone has seen it?

14. tmv

tmv Emperor

Yes, I have seen it in my rev. 10138 game.

15. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Yes, but it is rare.

16. Galadrion

Galadrion Warlord

I managed to subdue either two or three of them in last night's session - when captured, they show up as "Subdued Ground Sloth". Surprisingly tough critters overall.

17. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

You are confusing the Elasmotherium (Rhinoceros) with the Megatherium (Ground Sloth).

dilophosaur and KaTiON_PT like this.
  18. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I have had one game where I saw and fought about 20 of them but was only able to subdue one :lol:

dilophosaur likes this.
  19. Galadrion

Galadrion Warlord

Yup. My apologies. Although I did also get a Giant Rhino in that session (probably accounts for the confusion) and they, too, are extremely tough beasties... though it's less of a surprise in their case.

dilophosaur likes this.
  20. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Emperor

@Dancing Hoskuld I've noticed that a few specific story and stories buildings are present from the very start (see the attachment).

I know that they show up because in zAnimals_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml they are coded as being buildable, where a value of -1 means it is impossible to directly build it.

The problem is that these buildings clog up the city screen for a while as you don't have the necessary myths to construct them, even more so in the case of stories, which requires libraries and these are only available in the ancient era.

Would you allow me to make it so that they wouldn't show up until the necessary animal myth requirement are present?

Attached Files: