SuBI1 - Masters of the high seas

Its kind of the Dutch to give us their wonders... Looks like a nice set of turns. I'm looking forward to putting an end to the Dutch. I've got it, but as per usual for SuBI1, I'll probably take a few days...

I do have to comment though. Economics? Nationalism? We should have ironclads by now! And straight to combustion! Wang would not be pleased by this obviously non-seafaring view of our nation. It is our variant afterall.

SuperBeaverInc. - Um, skipped until futher notice
-0blivion- Just Played
Balastulin - - Skipped until Mid May - traveling the world
SpikeIt - Got It
shogunTaka - On Deck
Gogf - Skipped until futher notice - version issues

Go, SpikeIt, go! :)

If it was me, I would raze Rotterdam. I just looked at the save, it'll FLIP on us VERY SOON! It's not garrisoned by anyone, and it has 3 resistors. True, it has Bach's, but it only influnece the continent, not the whole world, thus the Koreans on the mainland will not get its effect. And we have about 6-7 luxuries, so unhappiness isn't much of an issue.

I had a brief chance to look at the save last night. I agree, Rotterdam is a flip risk, and I was surprised we had zero garrison there. In fact our forces are kind of meager on New Korea apart from the nice stack which should finish off the Dutch on our island. :D But, I will probably try and move a couple troops to garrison and attempt to starve it down. Once the cultural pressure is removed, we should be able to hold on to it. And with our cavs there, we should be able to take it back if it does flip (dirty, rotten, disloyal Dutch citizens!) We'll see.

Our gold numbers are a bit inflated due to our Golden Age (heck, Seoul is pulling in 37 shields - woohoo!), but that's due to expire in a couple turns. With our stockpile of gold, I'm planning on rushing some of the infrastructure builds we have going, and then switch to naval and land military. We don't need too much infrastructure if we are going for Domination. I'll upgrade some of our spears too for stronger garrison, especialy on gunpowder island. There are some decent trades out there since we are the tech leaders at the moment.

Lastly, railroading. Oblivion started the job, but we need to focus on our core cities first. I plan to rectify this quickly as well so we can keep that production up. Rails will be helpful to instantly walk up to our Portuguese neighbors with some cavs and Hwachas. Heh.

I'm really looking forward to this turn. It looks to be rather interesting. Oh yeah.

Originally posted by SpikeIt
Its kind of the Dutch to give us their wonders... Looks like a nice set of turns. I'm looking forward to putting an end to the Dutch. I've got it, but as per usual for SuBI1, I'll probably take a few days...

I do have to comment though. Economics? Nationalism? We should have ironclads by now! And straight to combustion! Wang would not be pleased by this obviously non-seafaring view of our nation. It is our variant afterall.

Gah..forgot about the clads. I know Rotterdam is a flip risk, and i realised on my last turn that there are a lot of pikemen in Amsterdam..Move some down to Rotterdam?

I also left Rotterdam empty because i wasn't convinced that if we left a garrision there we would be able to destroy the dutch on that island. I don't know if the RNG was against me, but the odds cavalry against pikemen weren't doing to good.

Originally posted by -0blivion-
I know Rotterdam is a flip risk, and i realised on my last turn that there are a lot of pikemen in Amsterdam..Move some down to Rotterdam?

Yup, that was one of my thoughts. And yes, I realize you had to keep the troops moving. We're a little short on troops as it is on that island. Once I take the last two cities there, I should be able to redistribute.

Sorry, but it will probably be a couple more days before I can post the save. Time has really been tight this week and the mother-in-law has been over, although the latter actually helped the time situation a bit. Regardless, I am almost halfway through my turns. Rotterdam has not flipped yet, and all resistors have been quelled. Armhem is ours, with Utquest (okay, I know I have all the city names way off. Sorry) up next in a turn or two. Our rail network is coming along nicely. And we're pulling in some nice gpt off of trades while keeping our nice tech lead. The Dutch luxuries are proving very nice for trading. :D

Wang Kon will be very dissapointed by my apparent lack of naval skills. I've lost too many frigates to Dutch frigates hiding out of view. :mad:

Any thought to our next goverment? We are still stuck in monarchy at the moment. We can go Democracy, but we'll be fighting war weariness the rest of the game.

Wow. Two Korean games, two games heading toward Communism. Its seems with Conquests, if you are going to have a large empire, going red is the way to be. I really agree, although I hate to lose out on rushing builds.

Anyhow, just for an update... squeezed in a couple more turns last night. Spent two turns slowly moving MDI's and Hwachas into place to seige Utrecht to find it guarded by only 2 regular swiss Mercs. :lol: Anyway, the original Dutch continent is ours. I plan on sending a force over to Haarlem to take the last productive Dutch city along with the ivory, iron (probably won't hold on due to culture). I'll send a few cavs over to the ice city of Middleburg, but we could probably grab it while settling for peace leaving the Dutch with a lone city on an iceburg in the north. Or we can finish them off. This all won't be done by the end of my turns.

Some cavs are being sent down to our southern end to clean up the iron, horse, and saltpeter lacking Portuguese on our continent. Taking on the Portuguese should be a real quick battle.

Something to think about. Ragnar is getting a bit ornery over on his islands. Even making some demands. Maybe a battle vs Beserks is in our future?

Hopefully I'll finish up and get the save out tonight. :rolleyes:

Wang Kon looked across the room at SpikeIt's forehead. "Hah! That fool will never win with that!" Confidently Wang Kon threw down his card, exclaiming "Back to the jungle with you! You and your stupid games!" But then Wang looked at his card, 2 of hearts. SpikeIt, lowered his card, the three of spades and laughed. "I've had enough of spades for a while. How about some clubs?" Dejectedly, Wang Kon sighed. "Indian Head poker. What will you think of next? Fine. 10 turns only. Off with you. But this time at least look into researching new boats or something?" And so SpikeIt headed out again, to lead the Korean people to glory.

[0] 1300AD
Courthouse rushed in Sariwon.
Move some pikes into Rotterdam.
Upgrade some pikes to muskets.
Decide to pass on trades currently. Liz will pay handsomely for Economics, but I decide to hold off a turn or two since we have at Monopoly.

IBT
Amsterdam worker -> worker
Korean Panama musket -> Privateer
Varna worker -> worker
Jeju rax -> Cav
Byz Memorial worker -> worker
Trebizon harbor -> Marketplace
Paegam rax -> Cav
Sariwon courthouse -> rax (ch brought shields to 5spt)

[1] 1305AD
Troop movement. Boat movement.
Izzy has joined the IA
Wow. Liz has some more money now. over 53 gpt for Economics... still holding off.
But we give her spice and silks for 21 gpt.

IBT
Dutch Frigate sinks ours.
GA is over.
Seoul Musket -> worker
Contstaninople riots - size 12
Rotterdam resistance ends
Pyongyang privateer -> cav
Pusan cav -> cav
Ulsan Musket -> musket
Kaesong Frigate -> rax
Suwon market -> frigate
Chinje Market -> rax

[2] 1310AD
More troop movement

IBT
Dutch Frigate sinks one of ours.
Seoul worker -> cav
SpikeIt's Home Univ -> rax

[3] 1315AD
Seige of Arnhem: bombards takes hps off all swiss mercs
Vet Cav vs yl swiss merc - Cav retreats
Vet Cav vs yl swiss merc - Cav wins w/ no damage
Vet Cav vs yl swiss merc - Cav wins w/ no damage
Vet Cav vs yl swiss merc - Cav dies
Elite Cav vs rl swiss merc - wins and we take Arnhem. There are 3 resistors and we sink a Dutch Frigate.
Built Embassy w/ Carthage - in Utica - only ivory - no strat resources, working on univ.
Decide to end gift of spices for 7gpt to Spain. Turn and trade spice and silks for 21gpt.

IBT
Dang Dutch sink another Frigate. My sea battle skills are weak!
Nationalism is ours!
Start on ironclads.
Amsterdam worker -> library

[4] 1320AD
Gah! Our vet Frigate attacks the yellow lined Frigate and loses. Promoting it too.
Another Dutch Frigate scares away our caravel.
Economics to England for 82gpt, 44 gold, and wm
Eco and 264 gold to Vikings for Wines and WM (next best value)
Spain can't come close yet and the others, fughettaboutit!

IBT
Finally win sea battle as Elite Dutch Frigate falls to our regular.
Inch'on cav -> cav
Man'po Harbor -> Frigate
Vikings start Smiths and Shakespears

[5] 1325AD
Troop movement.

IBT
Ragnar asks for incense free of charge. Hmmm. Beserks could be interesting... This could be trouble. He goes away.
Constaninople courthouse -> temple
Rotterdam riots... oops, forgot to starve.
Wonsan Frigate -> Hwacha
Korean Panama Privateer -> Cav
English start Shakespears. Must have Free Artistry too.

[6] 1330AD
More Troop movement.
Seige of Utrecht: Vet Cav vs Reg Swiss Merc - win
Vet Cav vs Reg Swiss merc. Take one hit and win! Utrecht is ours, as is the Dutch saltpeter.
5 resistors, aqueduct. Let's raze this puppy. On 2nd thought. Saving the 2 settlers. We'll settle two cities next to Haarlem to secure the ivory and more importantly the horses so we don't have to give up trades to Spain.
Ready the attack on Haarlem!

IBT
Seoul cav -> cav
Pusan cav -> Frigate
SpikeIt's Home rax -> Rifle
Chinje rax -> hwacha
Predictably we lost our Scandinavian furs.

[7] 1335AD
Troops land near Middleburg.
Move movement.
Ragnar has his saltpeter connected, but no harbor to his mainland...
Trade Saltpeter, 1gpt and 8 gold for furs.

IBT
Trebizond Market -> worker
Ch'ongfu market -> rax

[8] 1340AD
Boats start toward Haarlem, troops toward Middleburg

IBT
Nicaea rifle -> harbor
Jeju cav -> Frigate
Ulsan Rifle -> Rifle
Trebizond worker -> rax
Kaesong Privateer -> Privateer
Suwon Frigate -> Bank

[9] 1345AD
Privateer redlines Spanish Frigate but sinks.
Land troops/settlers on hills near Haarlem.
Vet Cav takes Regular spear in Middelburg. Middelburg is razed.

IBT
Ironclads discovered! We could look at Communism next, but Wang Kon would send me to the former site of Middelburg for eternity. Onward to Combustion! We start on Industrialization.
Seoul Cav -> Rifle
Pyongyang Cav -> Ironclad
Pusan Frigate -> Cav
Varna settler -> harbor
Inch'on Cav -> Cav

[10] 1350 AD
Iri founded taking Dutch iron. Will control ivory once Haarlem is gone.
Decide to Abandon Utrecht. Unlike other Dutch cities, only has aqueduct. Have settler there to create new city - which we need since I disconnected our extra source of saltpeter. The only we have since I traded one...

What the hay. We are going for domination, right? Let's get this party started with Portugal. We have some cavs ready down south with many more on the way. Should be slaughter.

Seige of Leira: Vet Cav attacks regular spear and... wins. Leira is ours.
Leave 3 cavs on doorstep to Rio Janeiro. Take a couple workers to help connect Leira.

Wang Kon strode back into the palace. "So? How did Mr. Indian Head do?" "Um. Well, we learned how to make iron boats. And we cleared the Dutch off that miserable island. Pulled in some nice money from our English and Spanish friends, and managed to keep pulling in the Viking luxuries. I started a nice little spat with those fiendish Portuguese to our south. Oh, and did I mention the iron boats..." Wang Kon, happy about the results, but unwilling to give an inch to SpikeIt remarked, "Yeah, that's all well and good. But did you do anything about a new government?" And so SpikeIt left the palace again determined to give things ago sometime in the near future.

Quick Notes
Haarlem - settle city just south of horses before taking Haarlem. That way we keep the Dutch horses so we can continue to trade to the Spanish. It will overlap a tile with Carthage, but we shouldn't be concerned with those backwards folks.
Also, there is a settler on its way to replace Middleburg. Mights as well take the land.
Lastly, have fun with Portugal and their fiercesome spears. :lol:

The Save

A quick picture or two...

Ready for Haarlem...

The start of the Portuguese front:

And lastly. The Dutch Island is in a beautiful shade of blue!

Lastly, shogun is up!

SuperBeaverInc. - Um, skipped until futher notice
-0blivion-
Balastulin - - Skipped until Mid May - traveling the world
SpikeIt - Just Played
shogunTaka - Up
Gogf - Ready for the next go?

So... done with exams yet? :D I'm hoping you are done soon. In the meantime, I'm going to PM Gogf to see if he can play this coming round. Its beginning to look like Balastulins prophecy is holding true... :rolleyes:

shoguntaka said:
SpikeIt, when I try to open the zip file, it's all empty.

Huh. I thought you had started. I'm not sure why you are having a problem with the Zip file. I just downloaded it onto my work machine and the save file is there.

Since I have it downloaded, I can e-mail you the zip file if you like. Just PM me your e-mail.

Heck, here's the save . I just uploaded it outside the zip.

Let me know if you can grab it. :)

[0]
Looks good.

[IBT]
The Portugueses is moving these strange-looking ships, the Carracks, around.

[1]
Adrianople: Aqueduct -> worker
Wonsan: hwacha -> rifleman (where's our saltpeter?)
Byzantine Memorial: worker -> courthouse
Sariwon: barracks -> worker
Chinje: hwacha -> rifleman

Captured Rio Janeiro
Captured Faro

Settled Huich'on

Cash-rushed libraries at Rotterdam, Hamhung, Asterdam, Eindhoven, and Arnhem

Razed Haarlem.

Made peace with the Dutch, we don't need to pay attention to them, whereas it should

be on the Spanish.

[IBT]
The other civs are just moving their ships.

[2]
Amsterdam: library -> courthouse
Rotterdam: library -> courthouse
Hamhung: library -> courthouse
Eindhoven: library -> courthouse
Arnhen: library -> courthouse
Trebizond: barracks -> Cavalry (good production at Trebizond!!!)
Naissus: bank -> barracks
Ch'onfu: barracks -> library

Cash-rushed a granary at Dyrrachium and Nicaea, they will be much needed

worker-factories

Also switched from aqueduct to granary at Caesarea and Go Horsie Go.

[IBT]

Nothing happened.

[3]
I checked with the Spanish, and... they're militaristically equal to us!? :eek: we

must build up more army to show who's the boss of this planet!

Seoul: rifleman -> cavalry
Adrianople: worker -> granary (another worker-factory
Caesarae: granary -> worker
Nicaeae: granary -> worker
Paegam: cavalary -> frigate
Sariwon: worker -> rifleman
GoHorieGo: granary -> worker
Dyrrachium: granary -> worker

Settled Kumgang on the Spanish mainland.

[IBT]
The Portuguese is nearing the Saltpeter Island :/

[4]
Pusan: Cavalry -> Cavalry (it's producing 20spt, no shield is being lost, excellent)
Korean Panama: cavalry -> cavalry
SpikeIt's home: cavalry -> cavalry

[IBT]
The Portuguese landed a...lone archer at our saltpeter, how scarey... :p

[5]
Our culture influenced a lot at the Dutch mainland, our land mass popped to 33%, we're

halfway to victory.

Caesarea: worker -> worker
Nicaea: worker -> worker
Jeju: frigate -> frigate
Inch'On: Cavalry -> cavalry
Go Horsie Go: worker -> worker
Naisus: barracks -> cavalry
Dyrrachium: worker -> worker

The warrior from Sariwon utterly destroyed the archer, then I asked Henry of the

Portuguese for peace and he accepted. Now, we have our full attention on the

Spaniards.

Cash-rushed a library at Namwon

[IBT]

[6]
Seoul: cavalry -> cavalry
Ulsas: rifleman -> cavalry
Namewon: library -> courthouse
Chong'fu: library -> cavalry

I lowered science to 40% to get maximum refund on technology.

[IBT]
Nothing

[7]
We discovered Industrialization, and remembering the game variant, I made a beeline

toward Combusion, and that, we are researching Corporation now.

P'yongyang: ironclad -> frigate (IronClad is too slow, yuck! It's only good for

defening or if AI is building Ironclads)
Trebizond: cavalry -> cavalry

[IBT]

[8]
Caesarae: worker -> worker
Pusan: cavalry -> cavalry

Cash rush a wall at Namwon.

[IBT]
The Spaniards no longer wish to trade two of the luxuries with us anymore, perfect

timing as we will invade them.

[9]
Several cities lost its "We love the King" celebration.
And only Constantinoples rioted, but hey, who cares, it's badly corrupted city.

Seoul: cavalry -> what else? cavalry
Wonsan: rifleman -> cavalry
Inch'on: cavalry -> cavalry
Manp'O: frigate -> aqueduct
Namwon: wall -> warrior
Chinje: rifleman -> cavalry

[IBT]
Caesarae: worker -> worker
SpikeIt's Home: cavalry -> cavalry