Suggestions and bug reports.

I just downloaded the game for the first time. It looks good. The first thing I do when I try a new mod is check out the civilopedia to learn what's new. There is normally a Traits section, but it's been removed.
This is the Suggestions thread, so can we get it added back in?

Traits Pedia? Is this in BTS too? I'll check that of course.
Oh no, I just checked. It's not in BTS.
It's in Realism Invictus, FFH2, History Rewritten, VIP, Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn and Caveman to Cosmos.
I got so used to it, I thought I was standard.

EDIT: I like how the fog of war gradually returns when we leave a location. Since each turn can represent decades, it only makes since that we wouldn't know what is in those locations now. Our information is out of date. Good idea.

Last edited:
Tried the mod on my laptop (Dell Latitude, Civ4 vanilla and other mods working well) and got an error, both with and without the PAE V patch 4:

GFC error: Failed to initialize primary control theme

This is a warning for loading the graphical theme. Did you rename the mod folder? It has to be named PieAncientEuropeV otherwise the game can't find the interface.

Civ Vanilla?
ehm.. you need BTS and the latest patch 3.19 for playing PAE.

I was not clear enough, of course I had the expansions and patches too.

But the problem was (is) that PAE seems to not work from My Documents/../Mods folder, only the one in BtS game folder.

So got past this, have another issue:

CTD in classical era. Judging by the game's editor, it might be connected with the revolts, for the AI island is having lots of that action now. Save file attached. To repeat the CTD, simply press end turn.

Attachments

• ctd.CivBeyondSwordSave
    579.8 KB · Views: 308
I had a quick look and this world is pretty whacked lol.
For some reason the Barbarians aren't at war with all parties (for example Hebrews), you can avoid the ctd by capturing the city with celts or hebrews (dunno who it revolted from), but i got a ctd a few turns later after that.
killing off all the city-less civs doesn't seem to help.

Ok so you thought you'd got rid of me? well I've been biding my time, waiting to pounce..
It's time to answer! :D
-The standard (concrete) arena for non-greek/roman civs starts a golden age. I don't know if this stacks because I only noticed it in the tool tip so haven't tried building multiples of them.
Checked. was a bug. fixed.
-Moving monuments with supply wagons is one of those awesome little things in this mod, however it is possible to 'steal' them from cities that you don't control.
Waah! Fixed.
-Banks give +25% ship building.
That's ok. Greek banks gave credit to ships. I merged the tech pedia with the bank pedia. this is better now.
- Auxiliars are gaining Roman ranks from defensive victories. I may have seen this happen once or twice for legions too.
In defense? hm.. strange. but checked.

-A very minor issue is that Roman ranked units can only promote after winning one more combat after getting the required rank. So for example if you get an equites to rank 3, it still needs to win another combat, even defensive, for the green up arrow button to appear for promotion. This isn't a big issue but is a bit confusing.
I don't think that's confusing. otherwise you can switch to the next rank without fighting and gain 2 ranks at once.
so you have to win at least one battle with the new rank to be able to upgrade to the next.
-Tooltip says bread factories have 3 max slaves, but there isn't actually a limit.
you're right again. fixed.
-Lime walls currently precede lime palisades with respect to their tech order. I think this might be backwards.
it's ok. the stone walls were first here. perhaps also because of the geographical situation.
-Supply wagons refill very often in vassal territory, I don't think it is realistically possible to exhaust them.
hoho. fixed.
-Why doesn't testudo formation work against skirmisher class units?
that's true. added.
-Close order formation (early tech for mesopotamian civs) is almost never used because it's nearly impossible for them to get units with the drill promotion.
you're right. I add this to the sumerian vultures and put it to the first officer ranks for Assyrians
-Normal legions cost :hammers:100, and imperial legions cost :hammers:120, but the only improvement is +10% versus three unit classes. Both are probably too cheap (cheaper than axes/spears/swords).
ok. changed something.
-Settle reservist tool tip still lists them as giving :food:,:culture:,:commerce: but they actually give hammers instead of culture now.
Fixed.
-other siege units don't get defensive bonuses, but onagers do. Is this intended?
oh forgot. Yes, I want the catapult as a city defense unit. Fixed.
-I read that you can't capture trade ships because then you could gain >3 of them, but you can get them when coastal cities flip. Probably a rare event however.
Wow, you find out everything! fixed!
-Berzerkers don't get Furor Germanicus! I would have thought they were the most likely!:viking::thumbsup: They are quite rare though so maybe you don't want them suiciding? Maybe remove their national unit limit then? :mwaha::deal:
Can't unlimit them, they are elites. but ok they get the furor ;)
-How do you get Praetorian Guard? I tried getting a Cohors Praetoria to elite, then getting normal Praetorian to elite, then sending them both to the capital, then used worldbuilder to give me the Praetorian Guard building but even then still couldn't promote one.
Should work. I checked that yesterday, but perhaps I fixed that some weeks before.

Cavalry
-Why are there both armoured riders and horse armour techs? If I remember rightly the cavalry units from these techs both have the same strength. I just checked and cataphracts come first, 14:strength:, 2:move: :hammers:180, sassanid is same but :hammers:160. Heavy armoured horsemen come later and are 14:strength:, 2:move:, :hammers:220. All of them ignore terrain.
oooh, ignore terrain.... fixed! (was a copy/paste fault from the broad horse). 2 Techs are ok: Horse Armor = Cataphracts. (Full) Armored Horses = Clibanarii
I adapted the strength of the mounted units...
-This might not be true for all units in these groups, but it seems that generally early unarmoured cavalry units are immune to first strike, but later armoured ones aren't. This seems counter intuitive. I edited this already but I've written down that equites aren't immune, but mounted auxillaries are, so I assume that is true for the live version.
Fixed. They shouldn't be immune to first strikes.
-Horsemen are 8:strength:, mounted auxillaries are 10:strength:, both come from horseshoes tech. When compared to both mounted mercs and mounted auxs, normal horsemen seem basically pointless.
Adapted to 8 both.
-Why do chariots counter cavalry? Didn't cavalry historically supplant chariots on the battlefield?
Horses were frightened of the noise and look
- I think generally the later game isn't balanced all that well tbh, especially cavalry. I understand you added this late-game much more recently though, and that you aren't devoting as much time to this project anymore, which is fine.
that's true. The unit settings are not written in stone.

Spearmen
-Basically creating spears (even most of the special or elite ones) is a waste of hammers. They should be at least restored back to 8:strength:, and considering how hard they are countered maybe even 9:strength:! (hyperbole aside, they probably shouldn't be countered so much harder than the other combat classes). That's my rant over.
you're right, they get 8 STR again.

-There are too many, and too powerful, buildings for reducing war weariness. I especially don't think that larger cities (provincial and metropolis) should automatically reduce war weary. If anything they should increase it imho. I think I calculated it out and you would have to run all the civics that increase WW to even get any WW. I edited this for myself already so it makes it a little harder to go back and confirm this but I might report back later on it.
ok. changed for city, province city and metropolis.
-Skirmishers have too many first strikes. They have 2-4 baseline, and so for aggressive leaders they have 3-5 without any experience required. If that was Sparta with Agoge, they'd be up to 3-6 without any experience. The thing with first strikes I believe is that the power rises exponentially, so once you hit some threshold they will almost always win the combat before the enemy can even strike back. I think Skirms should get the flanking and skirmisher promotions for free, but not the intrinsic 1-2 first strikes.
ok, they get only 1 chance.

That was an impressive list with lots of changes! Well done. Thanks!!

ah, yes. you get just ONE happiness, but another religion means 2 unhappiness in a city. so it looks like you get -1. but build their temples and it's even again (+bonus from temples)

That's definitely not clear from the text for it.

And you don't even get that base +1 happiness.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 9.55.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 9.55.38 PM.png
    808.7 KB · Views: 203
Really? You are the first who suggests that. Isn't it that your sound settings ... how can I say that ... treble of an audio signal? aren't your treble settings are to high then?
I didn't notice that before, but I will ask other players.

When hiring mercenaries, I have elephant units under "ships" and the "elephants" tab itself is empty. So.. no way to hire ships.

Attachments

• Sutius Tullius 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Bit of a nitpick, but Scandinavia is really fudged on all the maps! Tundra and snow where the climate is almost like Northern Germany. Maybe a terrain that represents "unsettled" land, but isnt tied to climate might work better than spamming tundra everywhere?

I think the scenario editor just want that no one really gets big cities there. like the tundra in the east (around moscow).

And until the age of the vikings, nothing important or influential was heard from the north. PAE stops in time when Vikings, Angles and Saxons really influenced Northern Europe.

Top Bottom