1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Sgt. Bears

Sgt. Bears Chieftain

Could the National Theater happiness be increased from +2 to +6 or +8. This would effectively remove unhappiness but still remove the possibly for infinite drafting or slaving which I believe was the original reason for the nerf.

2. char81

char81 Chieftain

I think the inclusion of Zoroastrianism has a fairly strong case. For one thing it was hugely important in influencing the abrahamic religions. Remember that it was once the state religion that dominated the empire that ruled around 40% of the world's population. In addition it helped strongly define Persia in contrast to the Hellenistic Greeks and Romans and later Christian Romans. In addition Zoroastrianism didn't really disappear as a major religion until after 1000+ years after the foundation of the first Persian empire (a few hundreds after the Arab conquests). It also makes for a bit of cool alternate history if it survives. To deal with its spread just have it be limited to spreading into cities ruled by a civ with Zoroastrianism as the state religion.

Compare that to Judaism, which while still important was never really the state religion of any significant powers until the modern day (arguably you could claim Israel has Judaism as a state religion- at least in civ terms!). While it could autospread, would it really add much more to the game besides an extra building and a bit of unhappiness? We also do have the temple of Solomon to represent Judaism to some extent.

Personally I think if any religion needs to be replaced it's either Taoism or Confucianism. Having both of these religions serves little purpose as we could represent China pretty easily with just one. Maybe then we could add Judaism or even Shintoism to replace one of the other religions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Chep

Chep Chieftain

how about this:

Once a Christian religion or Islam spreads to a city with Zoroastrianism it replaces Zoroastrianism unless there is a Zoro-temple or Zoro is state religion of the owner (not sure if thats actually possible to implement)

but it would allow for Zoroastrianism to spread, while at the same time being something like a stepping stone for the later religions unless the city's owner actually wants to keep it.

edit:

also, I think Buddhism could in General ignore one other religion present when it comes to happines/stability modifiers (or at least 1 out of hinduism, confucianism and taoism), since its followers tend to be slightly more accepting of other faiths than the average religion.

4. Big Heb

Big Heb Chieftain

That to me would be more indicative of Religion civics than indicative of any specific religion. If it hasn't already been implemented, such happiness/stability modifiers would be appropriate for Secularism and Scholasticism.

5. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

How about a +x% strength when fighting within cultural borders for a civic or two? We already have the great general emergence bonus.

6. Chep

Chep Chieftain

had a few (meaningless) exceptions in my last game, if they ever come up again I'll post them in the bug-thread, there are just some stability issues I want to mention:

- is it possible that the economic stability calculation doesnt check if the last value was during a Golden Age? Because for some reason I have an incredibly bad (-9) economic stability in my game as Japan, even though I finally let all my cities and cottages grow a few years after my first Golden Age.
    If not already the case I think this calculation should either just skip the years of a Golden Age and compare to the last ones before it or start calculating this stability again after a Golden Age. Because otherwise a GA would actually hurt your gameplay, which seems kinda harsh.

- earlygame foreign stability (for me often lategame as well, but most importantly in the early game): you have no way to influence this stability column at the start and also no way of counterbalancing it with other positive stability measures.
    This leads very often to you being at "unstable" (and some diplomatic issues) basically from the start, making it very dangerous if not impossible to raze a city in the earlygame or screws you over if you get hit by a plague early enough (since it reduces your economic stability)

On an unrelated matter:
    Anyone got any hints on how to play "Pantheon-China" for me? Since you no longer can trade techs with anyone besides India (and MAYBE Persia) your UP is a bit weaker in the earlygame and more importantly I just collapsed to a domestic stability hit of -17 for having Confucianism in my cities while still running Pantheon...Is the current strategy to just build the Gardens & Oracle and then switch religion?

7. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

The latest Youtien strategy involves an early switch from pantheon to avoid collapse.

8. Big Heb

Big Heb Chieftain

9. setorien

setorien Chieftain

I think the hill near Jerusalem should get a sheep resource. Always the people that inhabited this strip of land were herders (from the Canannites, Hebrews and then Palastines).

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Not right now. The big problem is that for every rename from languages A -> B, C, D, ... you also have to add the reverse B, C, D, ... -> A rename, which makes this tedious and let's the CNM file grow polynomially. I have a solution to that problem planned, which will be among the first things I'll do after release. I hope in conjunction with Git pull requests that will give some momentum to city name improvements.

11. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Do we really need cities in every language? I can't think of a game where I don't run into problems where my cities are outside their 'proper' tiles and thus can't be named properly. Just get rid of it all and name cities in English (this is already done in the far east).

An exception to this is if the names change in an English context; New Amsterdam to New York, for example. Certain ancient cities could also be renamed as more era-appropriate ones after conquest, which doesn't always happen in the current game. Hillah for Babylon, Tripoli or Beirut for Tyre, Tebriz for Hasanlu, Cairo for Fustat. Think about it.

12. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

I wonder how the differentiation between rights of passage and open borders like in the sengoku mod would work out!

13. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

No. In my opinion dynamic city names are one of the most important features for creating the historical flavor of RFC.

The main problem is that the CNM is still implemented poorly (and I have already rewritten it from ground up ...). Most of the information needed is already there, just not accessed when needed.

What I in particular intend to change for the future:
    - if there is a language A -> B translation, the reverse B -> A translation will automatically be registered unless a different rule is specified manually (no cities "stuck" with a name after being renamed to a language with no backwards rule)
    - if a tile has no name in any language available for a civ, the "native" language name is used and if possible translated. Again, that should alleviate the need the need for many entries in the found maps which only exist to avoid a random name in its place.

Native in this context could mean a language which has its core there, or a language of a civ with the highest settler map value.

14. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

That sounds great. I'm glad the issue will get solved.

15. Hojsimpson

Hojsimpson Chieftain

Collapsed civs leave undefended cities that are later razed by barbs, why can holy cities be razed?

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

National Theater is intended to be used in conjunction with a high culture rate, where its happiness mostly comes from. I have some plans for national wonders though which would allow it get buffed.

Holy cities should not be able to be razed?

If there are undefended cities left after a collapse, something went wrong during the collapse. Are you sure there hasn't been a Python error? Example save would be useful.

17. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

Can Ravenna be historic for Byzantium pls. I think it's not, but I've not checked the code, only the maps.

18. Hojsimpson

Hojsimpson Chieftain

I did not expressed myself properly.

They are defended. But they are defended by a weak force, which is nearly the same as undefended in some cases, because some cities collapse and became barbarian and attack their neighbours, which leads to some weird razes at higher difficulty levels, is not really a problem since Egypt and India are later settled again but I don't like disappearing shrines.
    About the holy cities I was just asking.

19. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser Chieftain

I have a question: If I disagree with Autocracy being nerfed, where is the file for it so I can change it back? In fact, I would probably increase the drafts per turn.

20. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4CivicInfos.xml.