1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Big Heb

Big Heb Warlord

Conservatives are the ones who usually get pissed off. The response from a libertarian is usually "classical liberal, yes". I mean, neoliberalism is a thing, and a boogeyman to the comrades. :lol:

You could include Monarchism as an ideology, but when does it spawn? Technically Monarchism has been the dominant ideology, along with theocracy, since the...dawn of civilization ( :king: ). You could make it spawn at Constitution or Liberalism, if you make it coincide with the English Civil War. Or Democracy to coincide with the American and French Revolutions.

2. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

A libertarian I have been arguing with for a few days now on Reddit did say that they despise liberals though, while I keep insisting calling them one and that it is not my fault that they have no idea what the terms they use actually mean. Also it really is just payback for their continued use of the "human nature means Communism can't work lololol" cliche.

3. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Take a page from Victoria and call it Reactionary?

4. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

That could also work.

5. Big Heb

Big Heb Warlord

It's on Reddit. That's your problem. :lol:

6. Kewlipo

Kewlipo Warlord

I propose a single tundra tile in Greenland.

Greenland was of Viking settlement, making it a historical plot for the vikings. There is much proof of this, I don't think I need to argue this point.

I also propose an oil resource to be added to Greenland, off of its coast. (That or it should not have any resources, and just let it be another city that has to be built by the Vikings in order to settle Vinland.

Here is some info on the oil situation:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Greenland#Energy
    https://arcticecon.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/greenland-maritime-boundary-licenses1.png

These are some of the names that could be added to the city-name map:

Early:
    http://www.yorku.ca/kdenning/vikings/greenlandmapofsettlements.jpeg

Later:
    http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/cia03/greenland_sm03.gif

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any specific dates surrounding the transition to later city names. I do know that there was a collapse in Viking settlement in Greenland, but perhaps that could be avoided in the world of DoC!

Let me know what your opinions are on this. :)

7. Imp. Knoedel

Hm, I would like Greenland to be at least theoretically settable, even though no one in their right mind should do it unless you are Vikings going for UHV. Whatever happened to the suggestion of making their UHV allow ships to cross oceans as long as they don't end their turn in one?

8. Kewlipo

Kewlipo Warlord

I would still prefer to have to settle Iceland, then Greenland, etc...

It just feels right.

And yes, I too agree that Greenland would not be a strategic place to settle. I think it would just be an interesting addition to the cold rock that is Greenland in DoC.

9. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

I definitely agree; I always WB in a couple of tundra tiles onto Greenland whenever I play the Vikings. It just doesn't feel right otherwise.

10. NerfCothons

NerfCothons Warlord

If ideologies are implemented as an extension of civics vassals should automatically model their civics off of their overlords. Either it should be possible to demand a civic change of your vassals and that change will actually stick (rather than the civ changing back a few turns later) or the civs should automatically favor civics that match those of the vassalizing civ.

11. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

Their was a modmod that made Greenland temporarily settleable for a few centuries before reverting back to ice, could be an idea

12. Leoreth

What happens to a city on Greenland in that case?

13. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

I can't remember, either stay basically useless or if a city was settled it doesn't revert back

14. Kewlipo

Kewlipo Warlord

What about the idea I proposed originally?

15. Imp. Knoedel

I consider maybe including this in my modmod, but I guess I would have to look into stability and dynamic city names to implement it properly so no promises about this being in the next release.

16. Kewlipo

Kewlipo Warlord

Thank you very much! (You have earned another trustful follower to down the reign of the dirty bourgeoisie!)

17. Leoreth

The problem I have with this is exactly the question of what should happen if Greenland becomes inhabitable again. The game doesn't really have a mechanism for this sort of scenario. That is what my earlier question was getting at.

Right now the map is mostly set up to reflect modern geographic conditions, which is why Greenland isn't settleable. I don't really want to quickly change this on a whim without playing and seeing what it adds to the Viking game and how the UHV is affected.

18. Imp. Knoedel

That wasn't Kewlipo's suggestion though, the becoming inhabitable later part came from someone else.

Also isn't there a city in Greenland nowadays? Nuuk it's called I think. One tundra tile, one resource of some sort, make that one be exhausted later, bam.

19. Kewlipo

Kewlipo Warlord

Excellent idea. Maybe make a fish or whale resource available.

In fact, some research actually suggests that <1300 fjords in Greenland made available raising of cattle and sheep. From then on, the world cooled and the Viking settlers became more reliant on fish.

I do like the notion of a resource disappearing, that would be interesting.

20. Leoreth

If Greenland can be settled, it should be believable, that is the benefit should be limited and diminishing later in the game. Making that work requires more work than just changing one terrain tile, that's all I'm saying. I'm not unwilling to expend that work but it's not a one off spur of the moment change so it'll have to wait for a bit.