1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. 2015

2015 Chieftain

Maybe just in the Byzantine empire (and I guess Turkey afterward). A silk resource in Italy seems like too much, it's just a free resource for any Western European civ.

2. Publicola

Publicola Prince

I really like the idea of each civ having its own Unique Quest (UQ), but that seems like an awful lot of work to implement.

Another idea that should get a similar effect with much less work would be adding it as a new mission to the espionage system. Spies could "steal a resource" from another country -- there'd need to be limits on what resources (only transportable ones would work, so silk would qualify while iron wouldn't, and it should be only a resource that you don't currently possess), and perhaps on timeline (so assigning that sort of mission would only be enabled after researching Commerce, or Paper).

Once the resource is 'stolen', you could either auto-place it beneath the player's largest city that is not located on top of a previous resource, or allow the player to place in on a resource-less tile around their capital.

3. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

I attached screenshots re resources suggestion. I went through painstaking research and only used the best scientific sources available to man (Wikipedia and/or something on the first page of a google search) in order to properly place them based on real life deposits.

As for the Netherlands, really I just want to put a single forest on the Amsterdam tile.

Also holy crap you don't realize just how distorted the ingame map is until you try cross referencing cities and resources in China.

Attached Files:

4. Auric

Auric Chieftain

Agreed. I had noticed earlier that Scotland, the Balkans, Greece, Anatolia and China don't make much sense geographically and in terms of cities locations.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

I like all of those suggestions. I trust your research and the strategic resources are much needed for the civs in those areas.

What's the specific purpose for forest on the Amsterdam tile?

In any case, if you could prepare a pull request for this that would be great.

6. Imp. Knoedel

Well there was lots of forest in the Netherlands before it was all chopped down, I think some guy argued for it some weeks back.

7. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Alternatively, you can make it a marsh tile. The Dutch are famous for there windmills and polders for a reason. ;)

8. Imp. Knoedel

But you can neither clear nor settle on marsh.

Anyway whatever happened to making culture more useful? I fully support adding extra great people birth rate and happiness for every culture level a city reaches, and since that would require actual coding bothering Leoreth about it is a more efficient way of getting it done than doing it myself.

9. Imp. Knoedel

So I did the necessary changes to incorporate all the LoR videos for national wonders and a few world wonders. Should I do the same for Academies and War Academies too? I set the video for Triumphal Arch to that of the National Epic in LoR, but I'm not sure how fitting it is. I'm also unsure about shrines, because the movies are only for the vanilla religions which means the one for Judaism is superfluous unless you want it for Temple of Solomon which will then rarely be actually seen by anyone and this leaves Zoroastrianism with what it currently has. Also since you will be reworking Christianity in the future I'm not sure how the Church of the Holy Sepulcher fits into all this either.

At any rate I am still trying to get my fork to run, so Git is currently the biggest obstacle.

Anyhow, I took a look at CIV4CultureLevelInfo.xml and suggest the following bonuses for reaching each of the culture levels:

10 Culture - Fledgling: +10% Great People Birth Rate, -1% City Upkeep, +1 Happiness ("We are so sophisticated!")
    100 Culture - Developing: +20% Great People Birth Rate, -2% City Upkeep, +1 Happiness ("We are so sophisticated!")
    500 Culture - Refined: +30% Great People Birth Rate, -3% City Upkeep, +1 Happiness ("We are so sophisticated!")
    5.000 Culture - Influential: +40% Great People Birth Rate, -4% City Upkeep, +1 Happiness ("We are so sophisticated!")
    50.000 Culture - Legendary: +50% Great People Birth Rate, -5% City Upkeep, +1 Happiness ("We are so sophisticated!")

These bonuses would stack on each other, so a Legendary city would have +150% Great People Birth Rate, -15% City Upkeep and +5 Happiness just from culture! This would make investing in culture in your established cities actually worthwhile, which currently it really isn't. While the changes to how borders expand delayed the point at which culture wasn't worth it anymore, it didn't change the basic principle that culture is only worth anything in relatively new and undeveloped cities, especially since flipping tiles and cities is a lot harder in this mod than in Vanilla.

10. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

But it can magically turn into a normal grass tile a few turns before Dutch spawn with Resources.py. ;)

Leoreth said he doesn't mind if they only appear the first time you build a such a national wonder. If you can provide the wondermovies, I can provide the code so they only appear once.

11. Leoreth

What do you mean happened?

12. Imp. Knoedel

Discussion and critique of my suggestion? Maybe even work of implementing it?

13. Leoreth

Didn't I say I'd like more positive effects of having more culture?

14. Imp. Knoedel

Yes? And would you look at that, here is a concrete description of what those effects should be exactly! :goodjob:

15. Leoreth

So apparently that is what happened.

16. Imp. Knoedel

... Well it certainly hasn't been implemented yet, has it?

17. Leoreth

You have astute observational skills.

18. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

Please remove the annoying "bad relations" stability thing.
    Even if I'm pleased with everyone I still got it. Amd it's silly anyway, why should "bad relations" cause my civ to collapse? I mean tons of civs had "bad relations" and were doing fine.

19. Imp. Knoedel

... Do you at least consider my proposal to be acceptable for future use?

20. Leoreth

I like to think about these things holistically so I can only really talk about it when it's time for that. But yeah it's going in the same direction as I would.