1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

No it is, and it will happen at some point. Religion is on my to do list for 1.14.

2. faustao

faustao Chieftain

Judaism was not present only in Israeli states.
    This could be a very dumb suggestion, but maybe Khazaria could make Judaism a viable major religion. Implementing ancient Israel and then changing its core to Khazaria/respawning directly as Khazaria in case Israel has already collapsed as the Arabs spawn (fits perfectly in the timeline) like Phoenicia and Carthage, just keeping Israel as independents, but make Jerusalem the jewish holy city, or give them Seljuk-like treatment. Khazaria could also solve some problems regarding Central Asia, perhaps?

3. Ani Taneen

Ani Taneen Warlord

Ok, so that puts Judaism on the map till the 900s (1000s if you go by the Cambridge document). What will you do afterwards? Also, how do we prevent a Jewish Poland from being a natural option for the NPC?

4. faustao

faustao Chieftain

Poland would be very unlikely to convert to Judaism anyway, and so would Russia. Having Judaism spread to those regions would make a lot of sense historically, though. Judaism has been present in eastern Europe from 900 onwards, after all.

5. cudfather

cudfather Prince

If Judaism is readded as a religion, it could add some extra historicity if it's removed from western European civs (especially Spain) when the plague hits them in the Middle Ages.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death_Jewish_persecutions

Could be a random event that triggers during the plague:
    The common folk, tragically affected by the plague that is ravaging our lands, accuse the Jewish inhabitants of our cities of spreading the disease. What shall you do?
    -Persecute the Jews: -1 population, Judaism removed from the city, -2 relations hit with Judaist civs, +1 :) for 10 turns
    -Don't persecute: city revolts for 1 turn

6. Grifguz

Grifguz Warlord

Judaism could be widespread in the West and Middle East, just make it so no AI civ, barring a possible Jewish one in the future, converts to it.

7. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser King

I have seen how certain religions auto spread when a city is founded in their historical territory. For example, found cities in the Americas and two turns later they convert to Catholicism or Protestantism.

That way, I thought of a map for Judaism to spread, regardless of there being an existent religion:
    -United States and especially the area around New York.
    -The Netherlands, Central, Southeastern and especially Eastern Europe.
    -The Black Sea.
    -Southastern Mediterranean (the Levant, Syria and the Nile Delta).
    -Morocco and Southern Spain.
    -Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Argentina.
    -Monterrey and Mexico City.
    -Parts of Ethiopia.

And if they are persecuted somewhere, they flee to another place outside the civ that persecuted them, adding their religion and some extra population.

8. Tlönitte

Tlönitte Prince

If Judaism is only allowed to spread to cities which already host a religion, this should stop too many Civs adopting it

9. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

How about the old civilization mechanic that the maximum science/gold% etc is set by civics?

10. migck

migck Señor de la guerra

The current mechanic is that if a religion spreads to a city with a pagan temple, and that religion is the state religion as well, the pagan temple gets replaced with that religion temple, right?
    A minor request to expand on this, if the city is currently building a pagan temple or has accumulated production towards it, perhaps that amount of production, or completion progress %, could be transferred to the relevant temple as well, so that such an event is not so penalizing?

11. IrishDragon

IrishDragon Legend

12. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser King

I feel like certain civs should have more technologies when spawning. For example, America should start with Democracy, while for some reason Mexico doesn't start with Nationalism and Democracy.

13. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Once upon a time it did, but Leoreth thought it a good idea to change that in order to fulfill his 30% wrong quota.

14. faustao

faustao Chieftain

Judaism is actually very minor in Brazil. I've seen more muslims and even buddhists than jews in São Paulo through my life.
    It should certainly also spread to parts of Siberia, by the way.

15. Genghis Khaiser

Genghis Khaiser King

Yes, I forgot Siberia.

But last time I checked, Brazil had one of the two largest Jewish populations in Latin America, the other one being Argentina.

16. Kewlipo

Kewlipo Warlord

Have you put anymore thought into my suggestion, by any chance?

17. civcivcivcivciv

civcivcivcivciv Warlord

england tech speed is so fast

even canada is independanted

america germany japan can't follow them.

next version please change this

18. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

That should be possible.

No, I need some time to actually try it out. Currently I'm doing other things.

19. Publicola

Publicola Prince

I submitted this proposal for the Rhye's and Fall of Europe mod, but I though it'd be equally well suited here.

I've been researching the period of the Crusades, and came across several references to Byzantine silk that I didn't understand. On looking it up, I discovered that around the year 550 AD, itinerant monks discovered in China how silk was produced, and later smuggled silkworm eggs or larvae out of Central Asia to be brought to be brought to Constantinople. The resulting silk production was in fact a critical part of the Byzantine economy from that time until the fall of Constantinople almost 1000 years later.

The Byzantine monopoly was ended during the Second Crusade around 1150 AD, when silk weavers were captured and brought to Sicily, spreading silk production and trade further into Western Europe. The same occurred during the Fourth Crusade (around 1200 AD) when Constantinople was sacked and the silk factories were brought to Venice and other cities in Italy.

All that is context for my suggested proposal:

1) Around the year 550 AD (or as close to 554 AD as the turn clock will allow), there should be a silk resource that appears either on the Constantinople tile or one of the tiles west of it (in Thrace).
    2) Alternately, since silk was smuggled out of China and Central Asia, you could make this a quest that the Byzantine player always gets once contact is established with a silk-producing civ. Its effect would be like the 'Master Blacksmith' quest, but instead of a copper resource being auto-placed beneath the key city, it would be a silk resource. I don't know what the quest requirements would look like, though.
    3) To reflect the spread of silk production to Italy, there should be another silk resource that appears in Sicily or southern Italy around 1147 AD. As above, this could be auto-placed, or it could be the result of a different quest, related to conquering a city in the Byzantine/former Greek core.

Either way, given the importance of silk in the Byzantine economy, it makes more historical sense for there to be silk production in Europe rather than requiring that any silk be brought by trade from central or eastern Asia.

20. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

You know, civ specific quests really sound like a good idea, and this could be one of them.