1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. ShinobiHus92

ShinobiHus92 Chieftain

It depends mostly the AI handles the The Apostolic Palace poorly if you ask me. A bit of a tweak would be a fun experience, kinda the same way the Trading Company or the Protestant Reformation events are working right now. For example I like Hickman888's sugestion where as a Christian nation you have the option by entering the crussade or just simply ignore it which might cause a diplomatic penalty with your fellow Christian neighbours.

Also I think it would be interessting if Muslim civs can also have their own type of election same way the The Apostolic Palace works for the Christians. Where as the Muslims can call for a jihad or Muslims leaders can go for a pilgrmage to Mecca. But all this sounds to much like Crusaders Kings right now :p

2. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

not election based but a caliphate-succession based system could be nice for whoever controlling a wonder directly, something like Umayyad Mosque makes sense to me.

A simple representation that comes to my mind is this, Caliph maybe can get a free horseman unit once in a while to represent the ghazis. Which would obsolote with the latest cavalry units, hence can represent the abolition of caliphate in Turkey.

though I can't think of any international mechanics for the Caliphate, it makes sense in a mod like SoI because there are many small civilizations that you can rally for wars, but in DoC there is only a big Arab civilization.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    ShinobiHus92 and black213 like this.
  3. JHLee

JHLee Prince

Don't AIs get free workers and defenders when they settle New World colonies? Perhaps they should get a free missionary of their state religion as well? Though I am not exactly a fan of AIs getting heaps of free stuff, I don't think free missionaries would shake the balance too much.

black213 likes this.
  4. Nyayr

Nyayr Prince

I noticed when a religion spread to your city it abandons the pagan temple, but if you use a missionary the temple is converted to the faith. When you use a great prophet to spread your religion it abandons the pagan temples, which kinda makes little sense honestly.

JHLee and Cypriot like this.
  5. ShinobiHus92

ShinobiHus92 Chieftain

Some suggestions I would like to see in the future.

More dynamic name changes expanded
    I feel like some civs are still lacking a bit of variety in terms of name changing during specific eras in history. Some examples are the Mali, Morroco, Khmer, Babylonia, Greece and Ethiopia

For Mali during the medieval/renaissance era once the capital goes to Gao the name will be changed to the Songhai Empire even if the empire was short-lived it's just a nice little touch
    During the renaissance and beyond West Africa was pretty much fractured and disunited but some empires still flourished during this period like the Kaabu Empire. For modern names it can be called the Mali of course but also Ghana, Niger, Mauritania, Senegal etc.

Morroco itself has already decent name changes as a civ but it can be expanded upon
    Medieval era: The Almoravid as an empire and the Almohads when the civ runs theocracy.
    Renaissance era: Kingdom of Morocco is fine but once they are an empire it changes to the Saadi empire or the Alaouite empire (even if the last one isn't even historical at all) When it runs as a city state it can be called as the Barbary States or Barbary Coast which during the 16th and 19th century where huge pirate activities around the Maghreb and the Mediterranean Sea.

For Khmer the only major one missing is the modern kingdom of Cambodia if it ever respawns in the modern era.

For Babylonia I rather see it start as the Sumerians and once it's capital change to Babylon it's the Babylonian Empire. For modern respawn the Republic of Iraq.

I rather have Greece in the ancient/bronze age refer to as the Mycenaeans/Mycenaean city states or kingdom

There are probably more to mention but right now this stands out to me.

More ancient civs respawn/reborn into modern nation states
    This pretty much coincide with the first suggestion about having more dynamic names for each civ. This time when they respawn into the modern era. This also means that more ancient civs can respawn when nationalism is discovered.

I already made an example about Mali, Babylon and Khmer.

Other civs are:

The Phoenician/Carthaginians
    When the capital is Tunis they respawn as Tunisia, when capital Algiers as Algeria, when capital Beirut as Lebanon and maybe as an extra when the capital is Jerusalem with Judaism as a state religion as Israel

Harappa
    This one is tricky but I was thinking for the Harappa's to reborn as the modern Bangladesh or Burma/Myanmar. They can also appear during the renaissance era as the Sikh Empire however that empire was very short-lived and it will also mean that Sikhism has to be implemented in the game as a religion. Unless you like to play ahistorical and make Sikhism the dominant faith on earth that is.

Ethiopia
    If the capital is in Mogadishu and it has Islam as a religion it will be modern Somalia

Polynesians
    This might be controversial and tricksty like the Harappa one but I can see them reborn as modern Australia or New Zealand since the Aboriginals and the Maori's where of Polynesians descent afterall. Right now Australia feels most of the time empty and there core can move to Australia or New Zealand. Maybe if it runs as fascist it can be called als the Neo Tonga empire or Oceania Empire :p

More modern leaderheads
    This also goes in line with the second suggestion. Modern states means also modern leaders however this means some leaders need to be made animated and researched about them.
    Few examples:

For the Dutch as modern leaderhead:
    Queen Beatrix or Queen Wilhelmina

For the Russians:
    Michail Gorbatsjov or Vladimir Putin

For the Spanish:
    We already have Franco but if Spain decides to be a democracy then Adolfo Suarez maybe?

For the Germans:
    Angela Merkel

For the Austrians:
    Difficult to say.. so for now unknown

For Arabia:
    King Faisal or King Salman

For Babylonia/Iraq:
    Saddam Hussein

For Columbia:
    Luis Carlos Galan?

For the Portuguese:
    Also unknown right now

I can go on and on of course and these are just a few examples for modern leaderheads. I think for the British, America and French are fine in my opinion.

This isn't by the way to nitpick or some criticism but just a few sugesstions/opinions that I would like to see in the future. I wish I was a expert in modding otherwise I would have try to implement few of these myself and share it with you guys. For now I try to support this game by having these kinda suggestions or conversations by making this mod even better :)

6. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

For leaderheads, we are limited by which leaders have art available. I will also not use politicians that are still in office, or have until recently been in office.

ShinobiHus92, 1SDAN, BaneFire and 3 others like this.
  7. Lord Roanino

Lord Roanino Chieftain

On this topic. This isn’t really that big of an issue but it sort of bugged me so I thought I’d mention it. If you play as the Phonecians and found Carthage as your first city instead of Sur, your name becomes the Phonecian City States/Kingdom instead of the Carthaginian City States/Kingdom. Like I said, not really too big of an issue but something that could be fixed in a later update.

8. ShinobiHus92

ShinobiHus92 Chieftain

Ahh yes I completely understand it's not like a huge major issue at the moment anyway, but someting to think about in the future. I do believe there's still a Queen Wilhelmina leaderhead available for the Dutch https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/bts-modular-queen-wilhelmina-of-the-netherlands.236689/

But I don't know if it's still working at the moment.

Seems to me some sort of bug but normally they settle always in Sur. You can report it on the Bugs Reports and Technical Issues topic about this

9. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Yet another reason to get that community asset fund donation thingy setup going!

10. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Either Karl Renner or Bruno Kreisky. If we want a fascist (and boy, do Austrians want fascists), there's the two short-lived dictators Engelbert Dollfuß and Kurt Schuschnigg from the 30s whose political careers can be summed up as trying to get Mussolini-Senpai to notice them while Hitler's breathing down their necks.

And to finally vote Angela Merkel out of office. :mischief:

11. Leoreth

That would be alternativlos.

1SDAN and Imp. Knoedel like this.
  12. trevor

trevor Warlord

A minor graphics suggestion: color the stability hill/valley indicator in the scoreboard fully red for 'collapsing' instead of having the same color for 'unstable'.

13. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Leoreth already said no recent politicians

14. Leoreth

how to downvote a post

15. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

*runs lader through Google Translate*

She should be a head charger?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  16. DelilahFlowers

DelilahFlowers Chieftain

Laderhead? More like.... Lagerhead!

Get it? Cuz germans and beer?

..... i'll see myself out.

17. ShinobiHus92

ShinobiHus92 Chieftain

Might be controversial to say but wouldn't it be cool during the modern era having barbarian units representing terrorists or rebels?

Hickman888 likes this.
  18. MechatronicJazz

MechatronicJazz Warlord

Branching here from the discussion on a diplomacy-based Canadian UU, if we were to add a diplomat unit, could there be the possibility of bribing other civs' vassals to switch sides? Alternatively, could that option be added to spies or to the normal diplo screen? I think there would need to be restrictions to make it reasonable, like adjacency or something, but it would be cool to see, say, Rome and Persia fighting with vassals that switch sides occasionally, as happened historically. Though the usefulness of this also depends on how often civs are made vassals instead of conquered or collapsed.

19. Malchar

Malchar Prince

I like this. I've also always wanted the ability to produce "state-sponsored terrorists", which would be like marines except they can attack without declaring war like privateers. It just seems like it would add a lot more excitement to the later eras.

However, I'm not sure how the AI would handle it or if such a unit is even possible. I imagine there could be a complication if the unit actually captures a city, which is something a privateer could never do.

ShinobiHus92 and black213 like this.
  20. ozqar

ozqar King

I mean, there could a spy ability "sponsor local rebels" with a certain chance to trigger barbarians and/or independent units to appear in the area (with the independents spawning at war with the civ in question).

Another idea "sponsor secessionist movements" could have a chance to trigger city independence in favor of the first non-State culture in a city.