1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. troubleshooting

troubleshooting Chieftain

I’m currently studying 19th and 20th century Japan, and I think the zaibatsu would be better represented as a replacement to the trading company rather than the factory. Zaibatsu were conglomerates of different industries, analogous to Amazon, Apple, or Disney nowadays, or perhaps the various East India companies of centuries prior. My suggestion would be to give Japan a conquerors event upon construction of the zaibatsu, but have the zaibatsu available 1-2 columns later than the trading company. This would also I think help alleviate how luck-dependent the Japan UHV is. Maybe have the event trigger war with China/Portugal/France (and their defensive pact allies) and spawn naval units? There’s probably other bonuses/maluses you could give the zaibatsu, but a factory replacement that gives commerce from water tiles is neither historically accurate nor particularly helpful imo.

2. ariel552

ariel552 Chieftain

Hi Leoreth,
    I wanted to thank you for the excellent game you and your team produced! It works much way faster between turns waiting and I have tested it with almost all civs and years.
    Thank you!!!!
    I wish the Firaxis company would contract you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Hey, thanks for the nice words. I'm glad you're enjoying the mod.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  4. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

I was wondering is there a reason the UHV's are harder then in RFC or is it simply to add more fun and challenge?

5. Leoreth

Yes, in my opinion some existing UHVs weren't that hard to complete, so I tuned them more around my personal perceptions of difficulty.

6. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Well you sure did manage to make them more fun and hard to complete! My first UHV victory was with Korea, I think their UHV is one of the easiest.

1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  7. troubleshooting

troubleshooting Chieftain

Byzantium is doable as long as China is collapsed when you need to have the most populous/cultured city

8. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Well, as long as I have the time I will post my ideas.
    I realized something that could change Doc to the better.
    In every game of doc I have played the Holy Romans or the Byzantines end up with Eastern/Central Europe. I think a really big improvement for doc could be adding a civ like Hungary, Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria, Serbia...etc... it doesn't matter which one. I know there are a lot of other modmods of doc that add more civs in Eastern Europe but that's still not the original Dawn of Civilization.
    This, I think, would balance the game much more in these ways: the Holy Romans won't become so strong and mighty and might not be able to get to Italy and stop the Italian spawn, the Ottomans will also have to face another challenge other then some Independent cities and the already financially and militarily weak Byzantines, and in the later stage of the game like in the late 1900s there will also be an extra civ to fight for dominance in Eastern/Central Europe.

Gritzeldrei, 1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  9. Lord Roanino

Lord Roanino Chieftain

I agree. An independent Budapest does spawn, but it never lasts very long and is usually conquered by either Holy Rome or Byzantium. A Hungarian civ would be quite interesting, but at the very least independent Budapest should be given a lot more troops and fortifications so it survives as Hungary historically did.

Louis the XIV likes this.
  10. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Leoreth, in the next update for Dawn of Civilization are you also going to release some new civs and/or will there be a changed map?

Crimean Lord likes this.
  11. Leoreth

New civs will only be added after the new map. There will be a release before the map is included, but then the map is the next priority (so expect version 1.18 to be the new map, basically). See this thread for a summary of what has been planned for 1.17, some of which is already complete by now. A lot of this is to prepare for the new map and the addition of more civs.

Crimean Lord, 1SDAN, trevor and 2 others like this.
  12. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

I'm very excited then! I think Doc could use a few more civs especially in Asia where China ends up dominating everything and in Eastern Europe to make it more historically correct.
    I also have a question, did you create doc on your own? And how much time did it take to finish?

13. Leoreth

I did not! First of all it is based on Rhye's work for RFC, I have significantly used ideas and work from other RFC modders, obviously I am relying on art assets made by people all across the community, I often depended on help and advice from other modders, and DoC community members have made significant contributions during the development process. But I still wrote about 95% of the code, I would say.

What do you mean finish? But to answer your question, I've been at it since 2009, with bursts of changes and breaks along the way.

14. WhiteEyes

WhiteEyes Chieftain

The Mediterranean coast area for Turkic UHV2 should be expanded to include Balkan at least.
    This way the player may choose between expanding Southward as the Seljuks or Northward as Bulgar/Cumans.

black213 and Krieger-FS like this.
  15. MrFeline

MrFeline Chieftain

Could the Space Race victory be changed to not require travel time? I find that the final 10-20 turns while your spaceship is traveling are incredibly boring, and very rarely consequential. If you're at the point where you can send a ship to space, you're not likely to lose the game anyways. Might as well skip those final 10-20 turns that, in the 20th and 21st century, can take hours.

16. windu

windu Chieftain

@Leoreth Is there a way to add modification's translation to Russian? I could help with it.

black213 and stillblackadder like this.
  17. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

Is there a Russian version of DoC?

18. windu

windu Chieftain

@Louis the XIV I think is not. I saw in Steam Russian translation of 'classic' Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, but it conflicts with Down of Civilization. That is why I ask. Maybe I am not explaining this right. I am proposing to add Russian translation, i. e. Russian version of Down of Civilization. Of course, if it is possible.

19. Leoreth

It's not possible right away. The mod is developed for the "international" release of BtS, which only includes English, French, Italian, German and Spanish as its possible languages. The way I understand it is that the Russian version of BtS is a completely separate release of the game that is not compatible with mods from the international version. Part of the problem is that the international version of BtS only includes font codepages for Latin characters, and cannot support Cyrillic. There are mods that can support essentially unlimited languages, and I remember that Nightinggale made a essentially a mod component (or shared the responsible parts of WTP) that allows support for multiple font codepages. But I haven't integrated any of that yet. It is only on the long term part of my to do list, as the mod is even only barely supported in any of the other four possible languages besides English.

20. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

You could replace one of the existing languages with Russian if you want to. I don't think it would be very hard to translate the text if you are fluent in Russian but it would take some time.
    The only big problem will be recording all the quotes for technologies in the Russian language.
    P.S. This has been done with Hungarian so it is possible.