Suggestions and Requests

I can't check right now, but doesn't the tooltip already say something like +x happiness in y cities?

I can't check right now, but doesn't the tooltip already say something like +x happiness in y cities?
It does say that, but what I was proposing is that it says the names of which specific cities would either be benefitting from a new import or being hurt from a new export (if any).

I certainly don’t want to suggest any additional work for you though with you going through all the actual bugs and issues. We all can see just fine which cities will have this happen to them by looking at the culture in Domestic Advisor. This would just be a quality of life thing saving a little time.

While I understand this from a gameplay angle, Panama City is one of the oldest colonies in the Americas (founded 1519!) and the AI already struggles bad enough when it comes to accessing and capturing Bogota as is.
In my opinion, the historicity that is gained from having Panama City be open for settling at a historically accurate time is outdone by the historicity of not having the Panama Canal be unlocked in the 16th century. Besides, does the AI ever really settle Panama City, to help in settling Colombia? In my experience playing as Spain on the old map, I made sure I got a canal city settled rather quickly, but I never noticed the AI settling the area.

But also Panama has been the site of transport of goods from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean (a lot of the Andean gold and silver went that way to Spain) where ships unloaded in Panama and goods were loaded again on the Atlantic side. I think it is good enough to represent that by allowing a passage through that tile before the canal existed.

In my opinion, the historicity that is gained from having Panama City be open for settling at a historically accurate time is outdone by the historicity of not having the Panama Canal be unlocked in the 16th century. Besides, does the AI ever really settle Panama City, to help in settling Colombia? In my experience playing as Spain on the old map, I made sure I got a canal city settled rather quickly, but I never noticed the AI settling the area.
I do see it pretty regularly on 600 and 1700 starts. But because of the Cocoa in my screenshot we can have multiple "canals", theoretically, which I was hoping to prevent...

Perhaps a canal building could be added that adds +50% trade route income but requires the city to be built neighboring 2 large and sepatarate bodies of water

Panama City is only bordering one separate body of water though.

Panama City is only bordering one separate body of water though.
Oh, right, forgot that oceans technically aren't separate bodies. Guess it'd need something similar to settlers and continents. Prolly too much work to be worth the effort unless it could be used for other features.

I'm wondering if the new big map could make the South and North Pole relevant to gameplay.
a) Perhaps similar to the circumnavigation bonus, could there be an event associated with discovering the North Pole or South Pole tile?
b) Pretty much all Antarctic stations like Amundsen-Scott would be limited to being a 1-population city, so there's no reason any modern civ would send a settler to build a station there. Would it be possible to provide some unique bonus -- a wonder, or a special tile improvement giving science -- that would incentivize placing a city on Antarctica?

OTOH, this suggestion would probably pair really well with the natural wonders/exploration/archaeology overhaul that's planned for a later update.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the new big map could map the South and North Pole relevant to gameplay.
a) Perhaps similar to the circumnavigation bonus, could there be an event associated with discovering the North Pole or South Pole tile?
b) Pretty much all Antarctic stations like Amundsen-Scott would be limited to being a 1-population city, so there's no reason any modern civ would send a settler to build a station there. Would it be possible to provide some unique bonus -- a wonder, or a special tile improvement giving science -- that would incentivize placing a city on Antarctica?

OTOH, this suggestion would probably pair really well with the natural wonders/exploration/archaeology overhaul that's planned for a later update.
Antarticic Exploration and Arctic Exploration could be projects, similar to the Lunar Landing Mission.

I have several suggestions for changing river courses (Part 1):
1) The Amur River should turn east immediately after Khabarovsk, and the section of the river near Komsomolsk-on-Amur should have been more direct.
2) The Belaya River should flow closer to the Ural Mountains, turning west to the south of Ufa.
3) The Dnieper River should have a more direct section north of Kiev, the turn of the river course to the east should be slightly to the north.
4) The mouth of the Dniester River should be located near Odessa and approximately at the same longitude as Kiev. The river itself should be a little further from the Carpathians.
5) The southern U-shaped arc of the Irtysh River (which is closer to Omsk) should be smaller than the northern one.
6) The Kuban River should be shorter.
7) The Terek River should be more similar to the rotated letter Г.
8) The Ob River should turn north a little to the west.

Attachments

• Amur_original.png
    Amur_original.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,948
  • Irtysh.png
    Irtysh.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Kuban_and_Terek_original.png
    Kuban_and_Terek_original.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 2,192
  • Kuban_and_Terek_suggestion.png
    Kuban_and_Terek_suggestion.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 61
  • Kuban.png
    Kuban.png
    387.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Terek.png
    Terek.png
    398.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Ob_original.png
    Ob_original.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 39
  • Ob_suggestion.png
    Ob_suggestion.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,033
  • Ob.png
    Ob.png
    375.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Irtysh_suggestion.png
    Irtysh_suggestion.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 50
  • Irtysh_original.png
    Irtysh_original.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 1,980
  • Dniester.png
    Dniester.png
    809.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Amur_suggestion.png
    Amur_suggestion.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,631
  • Amur.png
    Amur.png
    380.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Belaya_original.png
    Belaya_original.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 770
  • Belaya_suggestion.png
    Belaya_suggestion.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 197
  • Belaya.png
    Belaya.png
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • Dnieper_and_Dniester_original.png
    Dnieper_and_Dniester_original.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,918
  • Dnieper_and_Dniester_suggestion.png
    Dnieper_and_Dniester_suggestion.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,580
  • Dnieper.png
    Dnieper.png
    257.6 KB · Views: 54
I have several suggestions for changing river courses (Part 2):
9) The Oka River should have an arc to the south.
10) The Olenyok River should generally look different.
11) The Penzhina River should look more like a horseshoe.
12) The Syr Darya should pass closer to the mountains near Tashkent.
13) After the mountains, the Amu Darya should flow directly to the northwest, with a straight section to the north near the Aral Sea.
14) The straight central part of the Taz River should be shorter.
15) I think it would be better to make the mouth of the Volkhov River on the south side too, it would represent Lake Ilmen.

Attachments

• Syr_Darya_and_Amu_Darya_suggestion.png
    Syr_Darya_and_Amu_Darya_suggestion.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,591
  • Syr_Darya_and_Amu_Darya.png
    Syr_Darya_and_Amu_Darya.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 962
  • Taz_original.png
    Taz_original.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 4,013
  • Taz_suggestion.png
    Taz_suggestion.png
    5 MB · Views: 973
  • Taz.png
    Taz.png
    337.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Volkhov_original.png
    Volkhov_original.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,109
  • Volkhov_suggestion.png
    Volkhov_suggestion.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,985
  • Volkhov.png
    Volkhov.png
    724.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Syr_Darya_and_Amu_Darya_original.png
    Syr_Darya_and_Amu_Darya_original.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,144
  • Penzhina.png
    Penzhina.png
    280.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Oka_original.png
    Oka_original.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Oka_suggestion.png
    Oka_suggestion.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 641
  • Oka.png
    Oka.png
    726.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Olenyok_original.png
    Olenyok_original.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 2,167
  • Olenyok_suggestion.png
    Olenyok_suggestion.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 40
  • Olenyok.png
    Olenyok.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Penzhina_original.png
    Penzhina_original.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 38
  • Penzhina_suggestion.png
    Penzhina_suggestion.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 43
I have several suggestions for changing river courses (Part 3):
16) The Vychegda River should flow into the Northern Dvina north of the mouth of the Sukhona.

Attachments

• Vychegda_original.png
    Vychegda_original.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 4,881
  • Vychegda_suggestion.png
    Vychegda_suggestion.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 230
  • Vychegda.png
    Vychegda.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 72
Considering the technological requirements(Journalism) of Frederick's preferred civic Stratocracy, even later than his successor Bismarck's preferred Nationhood(requirement Nationalism) (which means that it is almost impossible for players and AI to adapt the civic before he is replaced), perhaps we should choose other preferred civics for Frederick?
Syncretism, Bureaucracy, and Hegemony all seem to be good alternative options for Frederick.

Scouts should maybe get a bit of a buff. With the bigger map exploration is slower and I tend to just use Spies instead, since those can enter foreign territory and get the better Logistics promotions (the only downsides are that Spies come later and might disappear if discovered, but that's less likely than a Scout running into an enemy). I'd suggest giving Scouts one of these abilities.

I would also like to advocate that Scouts be given the ability to enter foreign territory. As far as I'm aware, recon units can't pillage tiles, so this shouldn't be exploitable. As things currently are, I just use WorldBuilder to cut a path through foreign territory and give my scout the movement necessary to get through said path (the cultural control returns to the tiles the next turn).

Also, I thought Scouts were allowed to travel through Independent territory?

Attachments

• Scout screenshot 1.png
    Scout screenshot 1.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
  • Scout Screenshot 2.png
    Scout Screenshot 2.png
    434.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Scout screenshot 3.png
    Scout screenshot 3.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Minor annoyance: would it be possible to stop the AI (and Barbarians and Natives in particular) from pillaging improvements that are on terrain that otherwise cannot be crossed, like Jungle?

It's currently possible to exploit/milk American UP by pillaging your own improvement and rebuilding it again and again, gaining more population points and happiness. Perhaps, UP could go both ways? I. e. people leave and become unhappy if improvement gets pillaged ?

Also can we please enable pillaging your own roads/rails/highways? It's very unnatural to prevent it when you can pillage everything else.

It's currently possible to exploit/milk American UP by pillaging your own improvement and rebuilding it again and again, gaining more population points and happiness. Perhaps, UP could go both ways? I. e. people leave and become unhappy if improvement gets pillaged ?
That's the William Tecumseh Sherman loophole

Top Bottom