Suggestions and Requests

Some UHVs are deliberately tied to the initial capital location to make them easier to balance and avoid cheese such as founding the city in question in much more favorable locations.

The wine under Bayonne would have been improvable.
I could do it manually with the world editor, but I imagine a rather easy pythonscript could do it for me without me feeling like a cheat. (eg check spot the city is being built on has a resource if so then check random other landsquare in bfc if it has a resource, if yes then check if other landsquare in bfc has resource, if no then delete the resource from the original square and place it on the last checked square. If no landsquares are available to relocate the resource stop searching and leave the resource in place and then build the city)

Or you could just not found cities on resources. ;)

I can already picture youtien founding cities to slowly shuffle all resources on the map next to his super cities.

I can already picture youtien founding cities to slowly shuffle all resources on the map next to his super cities.

To prevent youtien from shuffling all resources to his super cities the less sophisticated algorithem of alternating resourcespots could be implemented.

Elaborations in Italics
When you found a city, check if there is a resource on the spot. If yes, then move the resource to a predetermined spot without a resource. Eg When Founding Bayonne move the wine to the Bordeaux spot. When Bayonne gets razed and a city is built on Bordeaux, move the resource back to the Bayonne spot.

This would tie nicely to three other request, namely:

(1) Slightly randomized spots for independent and celtic cities.
To spice up variety have those cities built on one of two random squares (having been placed on one square preventing them from spawning on another) A lot of adjacent squares could share their name, giving an incentive for exploring for experienced players. Especially Mediolanum comes to mind. Placed either one spot to the left or one spot to the right makes Rome a very different civilazition to both play and face.

and

(2) Slightly randomized resource spots and (3) timed spawns for resources.
Similar to the locations of the goodyhuts that got randomized (a really nice touch, thanks to all involved:goodjob:) each resource could be placed on one random spot of two predetermined adjacent spots. Part of the fun from the game for me comes from deciding where to place my cities. And part of the excitement comes from having desirable resources popping up in unexpected locations. In stead of almost all the locations of the resources being known at the beginning of the game, have them spawn more gradually over a period time.(4) Heck, let the trunks, beavers and game migrate every couple of turns (and another request arose).

But the key points I am trying to make now is that by relocating resources when built upon supercities (especially on certain notorious points I'll get back to that in a minute) get harder to achieve. And that the restrictive nature of optimal city placement will be loosend (allowing for a greater degree of creativity on the side of the player).

(the minute and a fifth and possible sixth request)
What makes some spots so much better than other spots is a combination of either food and production or food and commerce. resources, even when not improved makes a spot produce more of those. In a few notorious cases to the amount equivalent to a full population. Most notably Korinth, hands down the best city in the greek core, not only has it acces to the fish on the egyptian coast (Sparta is worth building just to get acces to that fish is you ended up playing Greece with Athens eg after switch from Babylon for additional units) being built on a plains hill with a marble gives the city an advantage of two production (which is slightly better than one full free population) over any city not built on a plains hill in the entire greek core (and one production over any other city in the greek core) Thereby dwarfing most notably Athens (and to a lesser degree Sparta) the most famous citie(s) of ancient Greece. (5) So with pain in my heart (I will regret the future delayed fishingboats) I request the plains hill of Korinth to be changed into a grassland hill. A sixth request would be to ask you (Leoreth) to overthink the bonus of:banana::banana:I really like the two extra food building a city on a spot with :banana::banana:provides. And it is reduced by the lack of income the spot would provide after adopting agrarianism (at what point I really like the tradeoff and usually build a city not on the bananas). But still it is a no brainer to build a city on the:banana::banana:before the invention of calendar. Maybe you went a little:banana::banana:when giving us two bonusfood on the:banana::banana:resources in stead of one to counter the loss of food caused by the implementation of rainforests remaining in place after the building of the:banana::banana:plantations and shift that addiotional food from the resource to the improved resource.

Huh, apparently my account has gone missing since the last time I posted (which was quite a while back).

Anyway, just two quick feature requests for you Leoreth, loving the new versions and moving to Github is the best thing that could've happened to this mod. :D

1 - It would be good to have some kind of a tooltip or display to show the "potential" city names. I'm thinking this could be displayed when a settler is selected, and when you're holding down right click to move him somewhere. Could either have a tooltip at the cursor as you move it around while holding down the right mouse button, or have it show in the bottom left somewhere. I had a quick look to see how plausible this would be, but sadly my python skills are terrible, and I wouldn't even know where to start with the Civ specific functions. At least I found the getCityName function in my searching through your code. :D

2 - Customisable winning conditions. One of the first things I do when a new commit is pushed out is edit the cost of the Apollo Program to a super high number. That's just my personal play-style, I like to play until the end of the game and there's nothing worse than being on top of the score board but have someone snipe a victory via space race. I'd love it if we could choose which victory options were available when starting the game. I imagine some fun could be had by playing a game with the time/score based victory condition turned off and only conquest enabled. Wars until 2300AD anyone? :D

Huh, apparently my account has gone missing since the last time I posted (which was quite a while back).

Anyway, just two quick feature requests for you Leoreth, loving the new versions and moving to Github is the best thing that could've happened to this mod. :D

1 - It would be good to have some kind of a tooltip or display to show the "potential" city names. I'm thinking this could be displayed when a settler is selected, and when you're holding down right click to move him somewhere. Could either have a tooltip at the cursor as you move it around while holding down the right mouse button, or have it show in the bottom left somewhere. I had a quick look to see how plausible this would be, but sadly my python skills are terrible, and I wouldn't even know where to start with the Civ specific functions. At least I found the getCityName function in my searching through your code. :D

A while ago, I created a tool which could do this.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=540790
Recently, I brought the stabilitymap view functions to the WB. It would be a nice idea if I can bring over the cityname view functions as well.

2 - Customisable winning conditions. One of the first things I do when a new commit is pushed out is edit the cost of the Apollo Program to a super high number. That's just my personal play-style, I like to play until the end of the game and there's nothing worse than being on top of the score board but have someone snipe a victory via space race. I'd love it if we could choose which victory options were available when starting the game. I imagine some fun could be had by playing a game with the time/score based victory condition turned off and only conquest enabled. Wars until 2300AD anyone? :D

If you open the "RFC Dawn of Civilization.ini" file, you can set "NoCustomScenario" to 0. Then, you can select every victorytype you want. (And also change other options)

A while ago, I created a tool which could do this.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=540790
Recently, I brought the stabilitymap view functions to the WB. It would be a nice idea if I can bring over the cityname view functions as well.
Very cool! Thanks mate, will give it a try tonight. :)

Edit: Just confirming, this works great on latest dev version.

If you open the "RFC Dawn of Civilization.ini" file, you can set "NoCustomScenario" to 0. Then, you can select every victorytype you want. (And also change other options)
That's perfect, had no idea it was that simple, thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear that the move to Github is appreciated even though it caused some people a lot of trouble :)

City names in the display should be easily possible now, good point, I think I forgot. I think the best place to put them is right in the found city button. Instead of "found city" it could just say "found [city name]".

You are using the Git version? Are you not experiencing anything... odd, regarding religious civics?

Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear that the move to Github is appreciated even though it caused some people a lot of trouble :)

City names in the display should be easily possible now, good point, I think I forgot. I think the best place to put them is right in the found city button. Instead of "found city" it could just say "found [city name]".

I was thinking more like this:

That way it's visible before you move your settler, so you can decide if you're moving him to the right spot. Would be the most "ergonomically correct" place for it since we're already looking there to see if the tile is in core/historical etc., and since you've already got custom code in there I'm hoping it would be trivial to add another line in. :)

You are using the Git version? Are you not experiencing anything... odd, regarding religious civics?

Yup and nope, but my past couple of games since trying the git version have been late game focused - Germany and Russia, the latter with a heavy dose of cheating for something different.

That way it's visible before you move your settler, so you can decide if you're moving him to the right spot. Would be the most "ergonomically correct" place for it since we're already looking there to see if the tile is in core/historical etc., and since you've already got custom code in there I'm hoping it would be trivial to add another line in. :)
That's true, the problem is that the tooltip is composed in the DLL and city names are determined in Python code. Transferring strings from Python to the DLL is hard and inefficient at best. I'll try to figure something out.

I've created a small tool in the platypedia which can show the CNM. (Maybe I can make it a ingame editor like the stability maps)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0035.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0035.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 407
A few suggestions here:

- In the case Konstantinoupolis is conquered, the holy city of the Orthodox church moves to Moscow.
- Playable Celts would be groovy.
- Greeks starting with a fishing boat, two settlers and tend more to found Massilia, Poseidonia and Chersonesos
- Legions getting penalty for fighting in forests.
- Is there any way how to make the western Christians more crusading? Especially the English seem pretty lazy to leave their island.

I agree about playable Celts. Give it time :)

I also like the idea of the Orthodox holy city relocating. Did you test the different starting setup for Greece? Could be nice for the AI if true.

Did you test the different starting setup for Greece? Could be nice for the AI if true.

Unfortunately there's no reason for the Greeks to found Massilia and I've never seen the AI to do it either. Perhaps the city could pop up as the independents. Personally I'd like to see Troy as well.

I agree about playable Celts. Give it time :)

What's next? Palestinians? Don't you think we have too many civs at it is? You already ruined 'Murrica and most Western Europeans with all those unnecessary post-colonial civs in the Americas, and poor China has to give up part of its sovereign soil to those lama monk guys. At this point I am dreading the inclusion of civs like Ukraine, Belarus and Kazhakstan.

Palestine obviously has to wait before Israel is included.

If we're talking new civs, give me Australia and I'll be a very happy man ;)

I remember seeing a modmodmod a while back for Australia, I'm guessing that won't play nice with the latest git version though.

Excited to see the results of the changes to make adding civs easier!

If we're talking new civs, give me Australia and I'll be a very happy man ;)

Why does everyone hate mighty Britannia so much!? There should be no Canadian civ, no Australian civ, no South African civ, only mighty Britannia ruling the waves!

Top Bottom