Suggestions and Requests

When playing with Russia I have noted that the name Tsardom of Russia only appears when the civilization conquers Kazan, but if the player settles a city or have more than five cities the name changes to Russian Empire. Sometimes it doesn't even trigger the dynamic name Tsardom of Russia, going direct to the Russian Empire name, which is quite strange and ahistorical. Historically, the Tsardom of Russia was claimed after the conquest of Kazan and the fall of its homonimous khanate, but it lasted until the half of 18th century when was declared the Russian Empire to show Russia as a european power.

So, to make the Tsardom of Russia a more participant name in the game I suggest to keep the trigger of conquering Kazan, but remove the quantity of cities as a trigger of the Russian Empire, putting instead the requirement of Russia having researched Statecraft. It is more history accurate, the tech itself represents the rise of more centralist and absolutist governments and allow the Tsardom of Russia dynamic name show up more often.

Last edited:
The Porcelain Tower guarantees that foreign trade routes always work, even if you're running Isolationism, right? That should probably be specified in its description.

When playing with Russia I have noted that the name Tsardom of Russia only appears when the civilization conquers Kazan, but if the player settles a city or have more than five cities the name changes to Russian Empire. Sometimes it doesn't even trigger the dynamic name Tsardom of Russia, going direct to the Russian Empire name, which is quite strange and ahistorical. Historically, the Tsardom of Russia was claimed after the conquest of Kazan and the fall of its homonimous khanate, but it lasted until the half of 18th century when was declared the Russian Empire to show Russia as a european power.

So, to make the Tsardom of Russia a more participant name in the game I suggest to keep the trigger of conquering Kazan, but remove the quantity of cities as a trigger of the Russian Empire, putting instead the requirement of Russia having researched Statecraft. It is more history accurate, the tech itself represents the rise of more centralist and absolutist governments and allow the Tsardom of Russia dynamic name show up more often.
Maybe Civil Liberties would be better? Or when they reach column 12.

I'm not sure where to post this question, especially since I don't want to necro a seven-year-old thread, but I had a question about this:
Back in version 1.15, Leoreth intended to add some new actions for various Great People. However, in the follow-up discussion, there were a number of really interesting suggestions in that post about tying Great People to quests, which resulted in a discussion about ways to reboot the entire 'events' system that RFC mods inherited from the base game.

Did anything come of this thread or those suggestions?

I want to ask for the extremely important change of replacing one of the Pig ressources in France by a Cow (I think the one in the west would be slightly more appropriate but either positions work). It would give Paris some much needed :hammers: while correcting the great irony that France of all civs doesn't have any of the two ressources associated with cheese.

I'll also post this map (which I think Leoreth already posted somewhere on this forum):

https://landgeistdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2021/09/europe-livestock.png

Did anything come of this thread or those suggestions?

Looks like Great Prophets spreading a religion and Great Buildings for every GP, at first glance.

Why not "control or vassalize" (Argentina), instead of control only, for the second Colombian UHV - grand Colombia?

Colombia's UHV is really fun. You just need to know how to deal with the overextension. Use Despotism and found San Jose del Guaviare once you get Microbiology.

If you as Colombia conquer all of South America your economy is likely to give more positive stability then the negative you get from overextension.

Maybe Civil Liberties would be better?
Yes, I think its better than Statecraft. From gameplay perspective, it takes a little more for the player to research it. According to the definition of Civil Liberties in civilopedia, it could represent of the enlightment ideals that Russia has began to embrace during the reign of Peter the Great, which declared Russia as an westernized empire to compete with the western powers.

Arabia should begin with Politics and Elective as civic, since the Rashidun caliphs were elected or apointed by a council instead of being an hereditary office. Hereditary rule only begin with the Umayyads. In the gameplay perspective, the civilization would have faster research and experienced troops (by faster barracks and stables), which could benefict their initial expansion, mainly in the 3000 BC scenario, which Persia and Egypt have more chances of being alive. Also, to stop the civilization from having the name Rashidun Caliphate after his historical time, the dynamic name could be triggered by using the civic, instead of the actual mechanics. The same idea could be used to the Hereditary Rule civic with the dynamic name Abbasid Caliphate and maybe the introduction of the Umayyad Caliphate dynamic name in the game.

The Delhites/Mughal change dynamic names very quickly. It begins with Sultanate of Delhi and right after the player have conquered 5 cities, changes to Mughal Empire. Maybe trigger this mechanic to a research a tech would represent the two civilizations better. The best tech I have thinked to represent the passage from the Delhi Sultanate to the Mughal Empire is Firearms, since the Mughal Empire was the first nation on the indian subcontinent to use gunpowder weapons.

Last edited:
I think that Roman UHV2 could be more demanding about expansion. I'd like to see Rome fighting with Parthian/Sassanide Empire, having 2 or 3 cities in the Middle East.
I wrote this because I've recently found Rome a quite easy civ to play, as exposed here

I would like that. Tangentially related but I think conquering Egypt should be made a bit less tedious by making its AI stop spamming settlers and cities.

The key is starting situation, to be more exact, the 4 additional legions. Once you eliminate Greece and Egypt early, everything of Rome is a piece of cake.

As the number of civilizations increases, I feel like some buildings might get too many UB versions, such as the Monument (4 versions already, and a perennial favorite UB slot for new civ ideas). The introduction of new regular buildings could help to add some variety.

I'm thinking for example of a Cemetary - an early building that could provide some small :health: boost (the earlier eras are rather stingy with it) along with either some :culture: or a Priest slot. It could also easily be expanded into UBs (the Mughal Mausoleum could be retrofitted as one, for exemple - the Estate already has three and is also popular target for speculative UBs).

As the number of civilizations increases, I feel like some buildings might get too many UB versions, such as the Monument (4 versions already, and a perennial favorite UB slot for new civ ideas). The introduction of new regular buildings could help to add some variety.

I'm thinking for example of a Cemetary - an early building that could provide some small :health: boost (the earlier eras are rather stingy with it) along with either some :culture: or a Priest slot. It could also easily be expanded into UBs (the Mughal Mausoleum could be retrofitted as one, for exemple - the Estate already has three and is also popular target for speculative UBs).
That seems like a good idea. Another idea along those lines would be an early building that provides a Statesman slot, and maybe some espionage points, as those come quite late.

Maybe: an Agora or Public Square building, available with something early like Property. The Roman Forum would become a UB of that. It would overlap conceptually with the Civic Square, which might be for the best, since public spaces like that have existed far earlier than the tech they appear with (Statecraft), so the Civic Square could be replaced with something else. For example, City Halls, which are a late Middle Ages invention.

Any chance that "settled in" great people can keep their names? I.E. when I hover over the supercitizens is not only displayed how many of each kind, but also their names. Be nice just for flavor.

It would be difficult to keep track of this information because once a GP is settled there is just a counter keeping track of how many there are.

I don’t know about other peoples’ experience, but settled great people are kind of underpowered (barring special buildings or synergies). Can a settled great person also give gpp?

I think it's fine if permanent bonuses are weaker than one-time bonuses, and require some effort to make them worthwhile, such as concentrating science infrastructure in a single city, building certain wonders, adopting certain civics, etc.

Top Bottom