Suggestions and Requests

That would probably benefit areas like Central Europe way too much; you would build a watermill on possibly the majority of your tiles.
Maybe make stacking watermills something that is unlocked by a tech? Hydraulics, maybe?
Also, this logic could apply to a lot of improvements (pasture/farm, workshop/anything else, etc).
Except the watermill is placed on the river, whereas the other improvements are placed on land.

Spoiler Pictured: A town with farms around it :

v.jpg

I've always figured improvements were supposed to represent something like "this area is mostly used for agriculture, or it's a highly developed urban area just not the most important city (towns), or full of industrial towns and factories (workshops), or an important commercial and industrial area based on trade off the local river (watermills)." It's just shown as a single improvement because it's funner to see your "watermills" "farms" and "towns" rather than ordering your worker to like, industrialize the area or something.

Either that or civ 4 is a world where monstrous watermills visible from space are a common and viable economic development :p

Can you make it so watermills can coexist with other improvements on a tile? There's no reason that a mill on a river should prevent, say, a pasture or a farm from being built.

Perhaps a mechanism for updating the terrain tile improvements. Something similar to what already happens with cottages. You build a improvement on the tile and if it is work by X turns, it transforms into a stronger version of it. In order not to be an exploit for older CIVs in the game some of these updates could only be activated when the player discovered a certain technology, so the CIVs would have access to this according to their historical progress in the tech tree.

Examples:
cottage > Hamlet > village > town

Farm > "Mature Farm"

Pasture > "Mature Pasture"

Plantation > "Mature Plantation"

Workhouse > "manufacture"/"Industrial Hub"

Water mill > "Industrial riverside Hub" / "Industrial dam"

Then these updated versions could have a slightly stronger bonus, like a Farm gives +1 food, when it evolves into a mature farm gives +2 food. And that update could be unloced by a tech (like microbiology tech for example)

What do you think of this idea? What improvments do you think should have this update? which tech should release each of these updates? how many turns to evolve? and also name suggestions for these new improvments updated.

Some months ago I posted about the possibility of adding more modern Asian wonders in to the game. I came across these 3 pretty nice looking wonders:

I'm currently looking to add these into my game and coming up with appropriate wonder effects. I'm especially thrilled about the Osaka Science Museum since it's a late game wonder that could really play well into Japan's goal of researching the 8 Digital Era techs. But yeah, I wanted to bring these wonders into attention incase they stand a chance of some day making it into the official Doc releases! :)

Some months ago I posted about the possibility of adding more modern Asian wonders in to the game. I came across these 3 pretty nice looking wonders:

I'm currently looking to add these into my game and coming up with appropriate wonder effects. I'm especially thrilled about the Osaka Science Museum since it's a late game wonder that could really play well into Japan's goal of researching the 8 Digital Era techs. But yeah, I wanted to bring these wonders into attention incase they stand a chance of some day making it into the official Doc releases! :)
I took the liberty of adding those to The Spreadsheet. Feel free to fill in additional details like techs, effects, etc.

Speaking of Wonders, how about a Central Railway Station (National Wonder)? Popped into my mind as I just walked past my city's railway station. I'm thinking maybe something like the Wonder requiring 8 railway stations and once constructed, it would add +1 extra trade route for all your railway station buildings or alternatively some flat sum of commerce for every railway station constructed. I feel this could have pretty good synergy with Chateau Frotenac if done properly.

I noticed that some civs field a small amount of supercities at the expense of vast amount of countryside, while some other civs struggle for space.
At the same time, a lot of AI civs don’t settle or expand where they should (Russia in Syberia, Canada, Britian and other colonizing civs/etc).
So is it possible (or even worth it) to make an event or dynamic subsystem where cities spawn in unoccupied tiles that fit them?
I sometimes enter worldbuilder to found cities for rival civs if only to add some representation and give them a much needed boost. For some reason the settler AI isn’t working well, and this could be a workaround.

Suggestion: a message in the notification center: "Connection with [Civilization] reestablished.", when you had lost contact with a civilization and restored it. Or something of the sort. Similar to: "[Civilization] has [X] amount of gold available for trade." message.
I see you have implemented this in 1.16.7, thnx!
"You have resumed diplomatic contact with X."

How feasible would it be, for the civic 'City-States' Republic to give a production bonus (50% or 100%) for building a 'Palace' to move a nation's capital? It strikes me that most nations that fit the 'city states' model (ancient Greece, classic Maya, Renaissance Italy) didn't have a single long-term capital so much as a series of local hegemonic cities, and making it easier for such civs to actually move their capital would make it a bit more likely for that to resemble real history.

Another possibility would be for the 'City States' Republic civic to give a temporary bonus, something like "+100% culture in your capital for the first 20 turns after building a Palace" or something (+50% culture, +25% production in the capital?). That'd give such civs a reason to invest the time and effort in moving their capital.

Last edited:
How feasible would it be, for the civic 'City-States' to give a production bonus (50% or 100%) for building a 'Palace' to move a nation's capital? It strikes me that most nations that fit the 'city states' model (ancient Greece, classic Maya, Renaissance Italy) didn't have a single long-term capital so much as a series of local hegemonic cities, and making it easier for such civs to actually move their capital would make it a bit more likely for that to resemble real history.

Another possibility would be for the 'City States' civic to give a temporary bonus, something like "+100% culture in your capital for the first 20 turns after building a Palace" or something (+50% culture, +25% production in the capital?). That'd give such civs a reason to invest the time and effort in moving their capital.
There isn't a "City-States" civic, but it'd be nice to have something like this. A temporary capital city boost after building a palace would be cool. It could possibly be a general game mechanic, and be further boosted by whatever civic is most associated with city-states (Republic, I'm guessing?).

To come back to a proposal I made some time ago, I think if we wanted to give civilizations more incentives to move their Palace (and for a player to reconsider where it should be located) it might be interesting for new eras to unlock a new Palace building with slightly more powerful bonuses. Though this wouldn't really fit what you're talking about since this would happen across eras, instead of representing a division of power inherent to an era.

It seems to me that if we wanted to simulate what you're talking about, then having Republic (or another civic) negate the bonus provided by the Palace to the capital city, in exchange for a bonus in every city, might be better at modeling this. At least I'd rather have this than rebuilding my Palace several times per era - though I would be okay with a mechanic where instead the Palace randomly switches between your different core cities.

Problem is that this wouldn't really fit with more centralized Republic civs like early Rome or Netherlands. But perhaps this shouldn't be tied to a civic: instead some specific Republic civs like Italy or Greece might start with a "City-States" status that gives a per-city bonus but negates the Palace bonus. This status will eventually be lost: could be when the civ switches out of Republic, when it builds a new Palace (in which case my first idea about era Palaces might be useful), or maybe both. The idea of a civic-like status that some civs start with and that will be lost later reminds me of previous discussions about nomad civs, too. Maybe the two mechanics could work somewhat similarly on that front.

Though all of this seems a bit complicated/overly finicky just to model city-states (especially since currently a Palace doesn't give much of a bonus to its specific city, having instead a much more important role for the maintenance of nearby cities, something which wouldn't be affected by switching your capital between different core cities). I'm not sure what would be added by this besides realism (something Civ IV struggles with when representing lack of political unity anyway).

The initial civics of ethiopia, more especifically Religion and Economy civics, should be changed. The reason is that Clergy and Reciprocity doesn't represent the Aksumite pre-christianity society (the period that the gameplay begins). After searching some material about them I learned that the Aksumites have a pretty rich economy, been capable of having enough crops and a variety of domesticated animals, which allowed them to house a large population that turned possible their expansions by warfare and diplomatic means. Also, they indeed have an caste of clergies, but it was the king that held the power in the government and supernatural issues, as the king was considered son of Mahren, the Aksumites representation of war, and possibly was its high priest (thus, an quasi-divinity different from the other peoples).

In conclusion, I suggest that the aksumites/ethiopians begins with Deification and Redistribution civics instead of Reciprocity and Clergy civics.

Another topic that I want comment about is the research. The ethiopians began without Blooming and Arithmetics researched. Although I find that the absence of Blooming can be justified by gameplay purposes, at least Arithmetics should be present. At the time the game begins the D'mt kingdom has been collapsed divided into small kingdoms. The D'mt (the people who are the Aksumites predecessors in the region) already have knowledge about how to create iron tools and weapons and was capable to develop irrigation projects, which means that they have complex governmental organization.

I would like to suggest a change in the diplo screen, when looking at it the information is very cramped, the various squares of the head leaders and the texts are superimposed which makes it difficult to read.

Since the squares are arranged in a half-circle way, my idea would be to take advantage of the available area on the screen and make two half-circle lines. a smaller one, with a smaller radius and a larger one, with a larger radius, arranged in an intercalated manner.

So the head leaders would be arranged in the following sequence. the PLAYER CIV leader head centered, and then other leaders as follows: 1st in the larger half circle, 2nd in the smaller half circle, 3rd in the larger half circle, 4th in the smaller half circle, and so on.

Leo, do you think this would be possible to be executable? and would it be very difficult to program it? If so, I can let it go, but I think it would be a way to help with this problem.

The code that draws the buttons in a circular pattern is quite complicated. Not that the problem is actually that complicated but it's written in a way that looks hard to modify. I think the idea is good though, I have added it to the backlog.

Top Bottom