Suggestions and Requests

I don't remember any specific reason why it was excluded.
Will add it with the next commit.

I do have a request. Make the plague 1 turn long! In RL plagues were 1 max 2 years long. So IMO if want to keep it historical it should be 1 turn long. So if it spreads to another country, then it is hit the whole in max 3 turns but only 1 turn long in a given place. Kill population as intended (2O-3O%) or it is devastating 4O-5O% kills/gamage units, but then it leaves! I really want this, other words: make it faster.
also want to try this resettler thing too. :D

That... doesn't really work that way.

Some minor suggestions for UHV goal wordings:
Byzantium UHV2: Control the Balkans and Anatolia in 1282.
Bulgaria UHV2: (Missing a period at the end)
Cordoba UHV3: Spread Islam into every city in the Iberian peninsula in 1492 AD.
Burgundy UHV2: Control Burgundy, Provence, Picardy, Flanders, Champagne and Lorraine in 1376AD.
Burgundy UHV3: Have a higher score than France, England and Germany in 1473AD.
Germany UHV3: The Thirty Years' War: Control Swabia, Saxony, Bavaria, Franconia, Brandenburg, Holstein, Flanders, Pomerania, Silesia, Bohemia, Moravia and Austria in 1648AD.
Norway UHV2: Conquer The Isles, Ireland, Scotland, Normandy, Sicily, Apulia, Calabria, and Iceland by 1194AD
Norway UHV3: Have a higher score than Sweden, Denmark, Scotland, England, Germany and France in 1320AD.
Kiev UHV2: Control 10 provinces out of Kiev, Podolia, Pereyaslavl, Sloboda, Chernigov, Volhynia, Minsk, Polotsk, Smolensk, Moscow, Murom, Rostov, Novgorod and Vologda in 1288AD.
Spain UHV1: Spread Catholicism to and ensure that it is the only religion in all the cities of the Iberian peninsula in 1492 AD. (not sure about this one but the current wording is still pretty awkward as well)
Morocco UHV3: Destroy or vassalize Portugal, Spain, and Aragon by 1578AD.
Lithuania UHV1: Accumulate 2000 Culture points without declaring a state religion before 1386AD.

Hi, have recently gotten into RFCE and am enjoying it! Finished a Monarch France UHV and am working on Denmark now.

I just have a question about stability maps for Denmark and/or Norway. Is there any reason their stability map in England goes completely red on English spawn? Like, could Norway have at least kept Northumbria as Border?
Also, and this is just a personal frustration, I wish Sweden would stay border for Denmark after they spawn. Getting them to vassalize can be difficult and you need all of their land for UHV2, but I do understand that it's ahistorical.

Some minor suggestions for UHV goal wordings:
Byzantium UHV2: Control the Balkans and Anatolia in 1282.
Bulgaria UHV2: (Missing a period at the end)
Cordoba UHV3: Spread Islam into every city in the Iberian peninsula in 1492 AD.
Burgundy UHV2: Control Burgundy, Provence, Picardy, Flanders, Champagne and Lorraine in 1376AD.
Burgundy UHV3: Have a higher score than France, England and Germany in 1473AD.
Germany UHV3: The Thirty Years' War: Control Swabia, Saxony, Bavaria, Franconia, Brandenburg, Holstein, Flanders, Pomerania, Silesia, Bohemia, Moravia and Austria in 1648AD.
Norway UHV2: Conquer The Isles, Ireland, Scotland, Normandy, Sicily, Apulia, Calabria, and Iceland by 1194AD
Norway UHV3: Have a higher score than Sweden, Denmark, Scotland, England, Germany and France in 1320AD.
Kiev UHV2: Control 10 provinces out of Kiev, Podolia, Pereyaslavl, Sloboda, Chernigov, Volhynia, Minsk, Polotsk, Smolensk, Moscow, Murom, Rostov, Novgorod and Vologda in 1288AD.
Spain UHV1: Spread Catholicism to and ensure that it is the only religion in all the cities of the Iberian peninsula in 1492 AD. (not sure about this one but the current wording is still pretty awkward as well)
Morocco UHV3: Destroy or vassalize Portugal, Spain, and Aragon by 1578AD.
Lithuania UHV1: Accumulate 2000 Culture points without declaring a state religion before 1386AD.

Those are improvements. Additional minor suggestions:
Cordoba UHV3: Make sure Islam is present in every city in [on?] the Iberian peninsula in 1492 AD. (spreading might imply a "by"-goal)
Spain UHV1: Make sure Catholicism is present in every city in [on?] the Iberian peninsula and no other religions are in 1492 AD. or: Make sure Catholicism is present as the only religion in every city in [on?] the Iberean peninsula in 1492 AD.

Hi, have recently gotten into RFCE and am enjoying it! Finished a Monarch France UHV and am working on Denmark now.

I just have a question about stability maps for Denmark and/or Norway. Is there any reason their stability map in England goes completely red on English spawn? Like, could Norway have at least kept Northumbria as Border?
Also, and this is just a personal frustration, I wish Sweden would stay border for Denmark after they spawn. Getting them to vassalize can be difficult and you need all of their land for UHV2, but I do understand that it's ahistorical.
Welcome to the mod!
I'm not opposed to a couple minor province changes, where it doesn't mess up gameplay (and doesn't seem too ahistoric).
I don't see any problems with keeping Northumbria as a contested province for Norway. On the other hand, I would rather keep the Swedish core territories as foreign for Denmark (well, for all civs).

Thanks for Northumbria!
Honestly I was just griping about Sweden, I wouldn't really want that change....Denmark is just frustrating because if Sweden collapses or won't vassalize you're stuck eating up a lot of unstable territory.

Ok, I just vassalized Sweden, but under the Victory Conditions it tells me Svealand is not considered conquered. Do you have to hold it yourself for the UHV, and if so, how, stability-wise?

Ok, I just vassalized Sweden, but under the Victory Conditions it tells me Svealand is not considered conquered. Do you have to hold it yourself for the UHV, and if so, how, stability-wise?
Yeah, the Danish UHV is one of the harder ones. At least stability-wise.
I wouldn't really recommend it as one of the first playthroughs with the mod, if you are going for UHVs.

On the goal/vassalization itself:
Honestly I don't really remember why were the province goals set up this way in the first place.
Vassalization is always a risk though, it can easily become way too easy or very hard, based on the personality of the current leader of the AI civ.

Yeah, I was also unsure about this one... wouldn't it look (and read) nicer if said like, "Control 10 Russian provinces in 1288AD"? and then players could find the full list of those provinces in the pedia or in the UHV progress report. The latter could look like "Provinces controlled: 5 out of 10 (Kiev, Podolia, Pereyaslavl, Sloboda, Chernigov)".
I mean, similar to the use of Balkans in Byzantium UHV or Iberian Peninsula in the Spanish one (although the latter is way more intuitive, I admit).

Actually, I wanted to suggest another thing. It is a very minor flavor thing, and might sound crazy, but nonetheless... When you click on a unit, it replies in a language related to the nation you are playing for. Now the mercenaries are tied to provinces, and it would be damn cool if they would react in a language of their province, not your nation. For example, if you hire norse (varangr) guys in Konstantinople, they talk to you in Swedish (or Norwegian/Danish).
I do realize this might not work for all the possible provinces (like Estonia or Albania), and I have no clue how much coding effort this could take, but in case someone is interested, that would be very cool.

Yeah, the Danish UHV is one of the harder ones. At least stability-wise.
I wouldn't really recommend it as one of the first playthroughs with the mod, if you are going for UHVs.

On the goal/vassalization itself:
Honestly I don't really remember why were the province goals set up this way in the first place.
Vassalization is always a risk though, it can easily become way too easy or very hard, based on the personality of the current leader of the AI civ.

Yeah, it's fine if it's intentional, I just hadn't realized there'd be problems with vassals. Playing as Germany now and accidentally hit the same issue (vassalized Poland who holds Silesia, invalidating UHV3) but I don't mind all that much. I just think vassals in the game--in all of Civ4--are kind of broken. I've never had a Capitulated vassal try to break free, for example.

Actually, I wanted to suggest another thing. It is a very minor flavor thing, and might sound crazy, but nonetheless... When you click on a unit, it replies in a language related to the nation you are playing for. Now the mercenaries are tied to provinces, and it would be damn cool if they would react in a language of their province, not your nation. For example, if you hire norse (varangr) guys in Konstantinople, they talk to you in Swedish (or Norwegian/Danish).
I do realize this might not work for all the possible provinces (like Estonia or Albania), and I have no clue how much coding effort this could take, but in case someone is interested, that would be very cool.
Actually it's already set up this way.
Mercenaries should talk in their language of origin, please report back if it's not working.

Yeah, it's fine if it's intentional, I just hadn't realized there'd be problems with vassals. Playing as Germany now and accidentally hit the same issue (vassalized Poland who holds Silesia, invalidating UHV3) but I don't mind all that much. I just think vassals in the game--in all of Civ4--are kind of broken. I've never had a Capitulated vassal try to break free, for example.
Yeah, unfortunately that's very true. Vassals were kinda broken in vanilla BtS without a doubt.
Vassalization is mostly present in the mod for flavour in it's current form.

You can try to make Poland as unstable as possible.
Silesia is not a core territory for them (iirc it's contested), so it will have a reasonably high chance to declare it's independece if the civ is unstable enough.

There is one thing i miss very much. There was a talk about Novgorod, but it seema nothing happened there. Their start still luck everything. I have not seen any update there. Starting stack is worse than france's, production is bad as scottish, and the most unhealty enviroment. No army, no religion just pure struggle. Still their are doable but barely. Pls admit not only i am worried about this. Btw moving Bjelozero to 1tile east abd make it flip would be a half way solution.

Does anyone else feel that the AI is too likely to switch to Merchant Republic? Considering there are maybe 3 civs in the game that "historically" adopted it, it feels a bit too widespread.

Top Bottom