• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Suggestions for Dynamic Names

If I remember correctly, throughout Japanese history, especially in the Kamakura era from what I recall, despite having a centralized government and singular capital, oftentimes samurai and different clans would directly war against each other for favor of the emperor. I think that this personifies city-states best for Japan.

The Genpei Wars (Minamoto-Taira) come to mind especially.
But yes, I stand by Warring States for Japan running City States.

I am against any kind of implication that a civilization is at war with itself, which warring states implies. This would make sense if there were separate names for in anarchy, but in general you don't go around killing your own units. In my opinion, a name for city-states should only be used if it were peaceful between them.

Again, we could use generic alliance or league, but it could be named by the civ adjective (Japanese League or Japanese Alliance)

Again, we could use generic alliance or league, but it could be named by the civ adjective (Japanese League or Japanese Alliance)

That doesn't sound very accurate though, and more Greek though.
Ashikaga Shogunate would be the most ideal choice.
The way it operated was a decentralized feudal system
that eventually led to the problems that caused the Sengoku period to happen.

Yes, that is better. The league/alliance is just what my western brain has led me to believe.

Industrial England with Autocracy and Agrarianism: Animal Farm

... shouldn't that be Communism?

No, agrarianism. In many ways, they were much closer to the agrarianism civic than state property. After all, Ingsoc is better for communism.

There were several forms of Communism that were pro-Agrarianism too.

And Animal Farm as a whole is of course an allegory for the Russian revolution (and by extension, Orwell's critique of Communism), so I thought based on the associations it'd work better.

No, agrarianism. In many ways, they were much closer to the agrarianism civic than state property. After all, Ingsoc is better for communism.

Airstrip One

Please take a look at this proposal...

Attachments

• Indonesia Dynamic Name.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 103
Would it be possible for the Byzantines to not be called the Byzantines?

Since they themselves never referred to themselves as such, i was thinking an idea would be for them to be called the Eastern Roman Empire when the romans still exist (which already is the case), and simply the Roman Empire or New Roman Empire when the romans cease to exist?

The Indonesians never called themselves that either, nor did the Chinese or Japanese, or Germans for that matter. I think sticking with the best known historiographical term is the best way here.

There's a component for RFC that changes all dynamic civ names into those in their native languages. As I recall the dynamic names for Achaemenid Persia was particularly epic (in Old Persian, of course). I think this component was included in Synthesis. You should still be able to copy the list of names over from a copy of Synthesis.

Here in DoC we have "Khamag Mongol" instead of "United Mongol Tribes".

One basic Dynamic Name that I noticed was missing was Dutch West Africa (Mali being the vassal of Netherlands) and I'm sure it's the same way with Ethiopia being a Dutch vassal.

Personally, I think anything involving the "New Roman" anything should be reserved for if Italy conquers the land required for the Roman UHV, or if Byzantium reconquests Italy.

Mussolini propaganda for fascism? Turn this into a Roman Lake once again sounds pretty New Roman to me.

The Genpei Wars (Minamoto-Taira) come to mind especially.
But yes, I stand by Warring States for Japan running City States.

I dunno, seems pretty ridicolous having a single and always very-stable game civilization under the name 'warring states'.

Could we see 'Arab' rather than 'Arabian' as the an adjective, the latter sounds much too regional and overall just doesn't sound right.

That doesn't sound very accurate though, and more Greek though.
Ashikaga Shogunate would be the most ideal choice.
The way it operated was a decentralized feudal system
that eventually led to the problems that caused the Sengoku period to happen.

@Pavel: I take it you did not read my follow-up post. :rolleyes:

Also:

Pavel Chichikov said:
Could we see 'Arab' rather than 'Arabian' as the an adjective, the latter sounds much too regional and overall just doesn't sound right.

Arab in my understanding denotes the ethnicity.
Arabian denotes the culture/country.
Arabian sounds right to me.

Top Bottom