Superheroes!

RIP Stan. Thanks for all the good times. Excelsior!

Stan Lee could be a "Great Writer" in a game of Civ. Because he wasn't a novelist, I'd be reluctant to compare him to people like Steinbeck or Hemingway, but if you're looking at (pop-)cultural impact, I'd put him up there with people like Steven Spielberg, Michael Jackson, Norman Lear, Rodgers & Hammerstein. Certainly a candidate for a "Mount Rushmore" of American pop culture.

Stan Lee could be a "Great Writer" in a game of Civ. Because he wasn't a novelist, I'd be reluctant to compare him to people like Steinbeck or Hemingway, but if you're looking at (pop-)cultural impact, I'd put him up there with people like Steven Spielberg, Michael Jackson, Norman Lear, Rodgers & Hammerstein. Certainly a candidate for a "Mount Rushmore" of American pop culture.

In volume of output he certainly isn't outmatched by the average novelist. In terms of social impact, beyond pop culture, I doubt that Steinbeck or Hemingway ever penned a line as significant as "With great power comes great responsibility."

In volume of output he certainly isn't outmatched by the average novelist. In terms of social impact, beyond pop culture, I doubt that Steinbeck or Hemingway ever penned a line as significant as "With great power comes great responsibility."
Right. And if I went over to the supermarket at lunch today and asked random passersby "Who's Peter Parker?" and "Who's Tom Joad?", what kind of responses do we think I'd get?

Right. And if I went over to the supermarket at lunch today and asked random passersby "Who's Peter Parker?" and "Who's Tom Joad?", what kind of responses do we think I'd get?

Who's Tom Joad?

Spoiler :
See what I did there? :)

TIL how dangerous it is to be teenage Superman's girlfriend.

• Lois Lane knocked unconscious 52 times, and over 6 season.
  • Lana Lang 47 near death events over 7 seasons.
  • Chloe Sullivan knocked out 41 times over 10 seasons.
  • Lex Luthor (bromance) knocked out 51 times in 10 seasons.
No wonder none of them could remember Clark's super powers.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/smallville-anniversary-head-trauma-lana-lois-knocked-out/

Knocked unconscious forty times would basically turn their brain to pudding.

I read somewhere that Guillermo Del Toro wrote a pilot script for an Incredible Hulk tv show, among other things. Obviously, it's a long road from a decent script to a good show, but it still piqued my interest. I think She-Hulk could be an interesting choice for a series, although casting her would be difficult. I'm not sure She-Hulk would work as an all-CGI character, like Thanos and the Hulk, but the technology is really moving along, so who knows..? And casting seems to be a strong suit for Marvel/Disney. They've done wonders with several comic book characters that I thought just couldn't translate to live-action film.

Whelp, that's it for Daredevil. On the whole, I think it was a massive success, better than I could have hoped for. My 12-year-old self would never have believed that anyone could make as good an adaptation. I have to once again rave about the casting. I think everybody was spot-on. I was unfamiliar with many of the stars coming into it, so there were a lot of pleasant surprises. The stunt choreography was a big piece of the recent leap forward in the state of the art. There's no doubt in my mind that I'll be going back to rewatch this series some years from now.

And since Daredevil was Netflix's flagship Marvel show, I guess we have to assume that the upcoming seasons of The Punisher and Jessica Jones will be their last, as well. It's too soon to know whether reboots for these characters will be "from the ground up", with all new casts and everything, but I'll consider it a pleasant surprise if the Disney streaming service simply ports these series over to their platform, lock, stock n' barrel. But you never know. When Disney bought Pixar, fans were worried that future Pixar movies would be somehow "Disneyfied", and that doesn't seem to have happened.

The plot of the most recent episode of Hawaii 5-0 revolved around comic style superheros. There's a great scene where tough guy former SWAT commander and shotgun wielding backbone of many 5-0 shootouts Lou asks Jerry, who is the rotund basement dwelling geek with encyclopedic knowledge of conspiracy theories, off beat island history, and all things not in the general action series cop wheelhouse, what superhero he wanted to be when he was a kid. Jerry's answer is Batgirl, who he explains could do everything Batman or Robin could do, but also had to overcome everyone looking at her as a less than misfit because she just didn't look right for being a hero...who had to work ten times harder and earn every inch of the way but became an equal part of the team anyway.

It really made me look back differently on the campy old Adam West Batman series. Not like they really ever gave Batgirl her just due, but given gender realities of the sixties it is possible to see Jerry's point and credit them for an effort that really was ahead of its time.

That Captain Marvel poster hurts my eyes, but does nothing to diminish my anticipation for the movie.

I'm reserving judgment on Ruby Rose as Batwoman. The only thing I've seen her in was The Meg, which I'm assuming was not her finest work. Incidentally, I think her appearance in Elseworlds is a kind of "back-door pilot" for an ongoing series for the character. If this really is the beginning of a Crisis on Infinite Earths, then it should end with all of the Berlantiverse characters together on one planet (no mention has been made of the Black Lightning family, but I'm assuming they'll get folded in eventually). The CW could end up with a Justice League that's better than the one in the movies. I'm assuming they won't be able to call themselves The Justice League, though.

That Captain Marvel poster hurts my eyes, but does nothing to diminish my anticipation for the movie.

I'm reserving judgment on Ruby Rose as Batwoman. The only thing I've seen her in was The Meg, which I'm assuming was not her finest work. Incidentally, I think her appearance in Elseworlds is a kind of "back-door pilot" for an ongoing series for the character. If this really is the beginning of a Crisis on Infinite Earths, then it should end with all of the Berlantiverse characters together on one planet (no mention has been made of the Black Lightning family, but I'm assuming they'll get folded in eventually). The CW could end up with a Justice League that's better than the one in the movies. I'm assuming they won't be able to call themselves The Justice League, though.

I doubt that the movie people have exclusive rights to the title, given that they don't have exclusive rights to all of the characters; most notably The Flash. Berlanti has already used a number of other characters as well, in the JSA story arc on Legends. Berlanti does seem to play it a little loose though. I think it is hilarious that Cisco drops references to Marvel comics, but I always wonder if Marvel milquetoast Calvin Clerk is going to suddenly turn into his alter ego Lawyerman and start throwing lawsuits around like Gambit with a deck of cards.

Top Bottom