• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Superheroes!

I made it about halfway through X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009). :sleep:

I made it about halfway through X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009). :sleep:
You made it farther than me... I've only been able to watch that movie one or two scenes at a time... never all the way through at one sitting. I think I've basically seen the entire movie at this point, or at least... I've got the gist... No interest in trying to watch the whole thing in one sitting. As an aside, I didn't like the conclusion/climax of the movie at all... it was generally too absurd... even for a superhero movie, not to mention the whole premise of it was awkward and off-putting.

Putting aside the mediocrity of the movie... Wolverine is much more interesting as a character with his backstory being shrouded in mystery. It's one of the most compelling things about him... how tortured and enigmatic he is. All the backstory they've explicitly shown us just kinda spoils it. The best way to show Wolverine's backstory is through cameos, flashbacks and passing references/innuendo... putting the audience in a similar headspace to where Wolverine is... only partially/vaguely aware of his background with lots of empty spaces and unanswered questions.

Last edited:
You made it farther than me... I've only been able to watch that movie one or two scenes at a time... never all the way through at one sitting. I think I've basically seen the entire movie at this point, or at least... I've got the gist... No interest in trying to watch the whole thing in one sitting. As an aside, I didn't like the conclusion/climax of the movie at all... it was generally too absurd... even for a superhero movie, not to mention the whole premise of it was awkward and off-putting.

Putting aside the mediocrity of the movie... Wolverine is much more interesting as a character with his backstory being shrouded in mystery. It's one of the most compelling things about him... how tortured and enigmatic he is. All the backstory they've explicitly shown us just kinda spoils it. The best way to show Wolverine's backstory is through cameos, flashbacks and passing references/innuendo... putting the audience in a similar headspace to where Wolverine is... only partially/vaguely aware of his background with lots of empty spaces and unanswered questions.
The problem is, in movies, today, in general, everyone has to spill a Dr. Phil story...

OK so #1 I can't believe this somehow got 3 moves.

But #2, as I recall in the mid/end credits of Spiderman No Way Home, Eddy Brock/Venom was in the MCU-verse. And Chiwetel Eijofor is in this movie as a military dude, yet he also plays Mordo in the MCU. So either they just totally ignored the end credits scene or they somehow get Eddy back to his verse immediately. Or I guess Mordo could be moonlighting in the military which would be the weirdest character arc ever. Either way the whole point of having a cinematic universe is that it's all connected but ignoring/undoing the consequences of other films goes against that. It just feels messy.

Edit: Ignore my misinformed ramblings

Last edited:
OK so #1 I can't believe this somehow got 3 moves.

But #2, as I recall in the mid/end credits of Spiderman No Way Home, Eddy Brock/Venom was in the MCU-verse. And Chiwetel Eijofor is in this movie as a military dude, yet he also plays Mordo in the MCU. So either they just totally ignored the end credits scene or they somehow get Eddy back to his verse immediately. Or I guess Mordo could be moonlighting in the military which would be the weirdest character arc ever. Either way the whole point of having a cinematic universe is that it's all connected but ignoring/undoing the consequences of other films goes against that. It just feels messy.
You forgot the second half of the end credits scene, where Eddy and Venom get sent back to their universe. A piece of Venom gets left behind, but nothing will be done with that, I'm betting.

Top Bottom