System requirements are out!

a fourth generation i5 at 2.5Ghz is slower than a third generation i5 clocked at, say, 4.0Ghz :p generations don't mean much these days. Even a 1st gen i5/i7 will be enough methinks

I have a laptop with an i7 4700HQ CPU and a GeForce 760M GTX onboard. Anyone think this will be sufficient to run the game at 1920*1080 or am I in trouble?

Doesn't matter what they are able to show. It matters what they can tell. And if they cannot tell about game performance then it's probably the worst marketing thing that can happen to the game. It would be like saying "we are selling a trash and don't want you to know about it until you actually buy it". Seems rather impossible.

They don't need to tell much if we get to see streams from when they play. All they need is tell us which system they use and what map size etc., and you'll be able to draw your own conclusions.

I'm going to be in Madrid so no videos from me.

Enjoy your time in Spain MadDjinn!

I have a laptop with an i7 4700HQ CPU and a GeForce 760M GTX onboard. Anyone think this will be sufficient to run the game at 1920*1080 or am I in trouble?

For those asking about specs: This website allows to compare your specs to the recommended ones in a straightforward way.

For those that have no idea about their specs: Link

Every single one of them will be at or well above the recommended specs.

Yes, but my reply was to the guy who suggested the streamers should say something about game performance, and I'm pointing out that whatever you can learn from them about the issue will be easy to observe as long as you know what system and game setup they use. I'm not expecting them to have any knowledge about game performance on other systems.

But I do think you could draw some conclusions anyway. There were notable slow downs late game in CiV on systems far above recommended, and it will be interesting what turn times will be in cVI on an "optimal" rig.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to PC specs. Can anyone tell me whether I will be able to play the game at an acceptable pace with...

Intel i7 3520M (2,9 GHz)
Intel HD Graphics 4000

...and the rest of the specs fairly well covered? Or am I out of luck?

Thanks a lot!

Out of luck I think :(

It's a laptop? (guess cos of the 'M' processor suffix), your GPU is way too slow...

Doesn't matter what they are able to show. It matters what they can tell. And if they cannot tell about game performance then it's probably the worst marketing thing that can happen to the game. It would be like saying "we are selling a trash and don't want you to know about it until you actually buy it". Seems rather impossible.
What ?

The nda on these lifts the 29th. If the performance is bad it will show.

The only thing I have bellow the recommended is the GPU, mine is a ASUS GTX 760 when they say GTX 770.

Can any hardware expert tell me if this is a huge thing? After all seems like only "10" stuff less... =P

Hard to know without playing. After all the game is not so pretty that on appearances it shouldnt be too hard on gpus.

The game will definitly work for you but maybe youll have to lower the quality. Either way i wouldnt buy anything yet if i were you.

There is a substantial difference between the power of 60 70 and 80 nvidia cards.

Hi,

This post is a salute to Blizzard. My girlfriend is a longtime WoW player. That game runs well on a vast range of hardware, yet remains well-supported and is always evolving. The graphics are immersive and pretty, even on her laptop, bought at the end of 2012.

Civ takes a different approach.

Graphics media assets and perhaps code inefficiencies aside, the information required has not changed all that much from version to version. CPU and memory resources have ballooned to cope with graphics, not to support massive, incredibly detailed worlds (not needed) or a sophisticated expert system (not written). Even in Civ4, the last edition I played, I found that the graphics and UI often got in the way, because of an emphasis on being current over utility.

As I've mentioned earlier, I don't see that as a mistake by Firaxis, but a deliberate choice.

And so, a salute to Blizzard. (Lacking reflexes, I can't abide twitch games, so this commendation is the extent of my involvement with them. Well, that, and the time every week when I'm gfless. :) )

Anyway,

Ken

This post is a salute to Blizzard. My girlfriend is a longtime WoW player. That game runs well on a vast range of hardware, yet remains well-supported and is always evolving. The graphics are immersive and pretty, even on her laptop, bought at the end of 2012.

You can't seriously compare 12-year old game, which graphics was obsolete before release with a modern game.

Pretty much. WoW does look really nice, and they've done a lot with it graphically over the years, even upping the system requirements at one time. But all in all, it's still an ancient game running on a 12 year old engine. Also, it's an MMO, which benefits immensely from toned down graphics. A giant, nearly seamless world and the ability to have dozens of player characters in small vicinity, as well as the need to appeal to a very wide market all influence the graphic quality. It's not really an equal comparison. I agree Blizzard deserves applause with what they've done with that tech; not because of a comparison to Civ or Firaxis.

Just as an aside, at release WoW minimum requirement was a 4 year old GPU. Civ VI minimum requirement is a 6 year old GPU. Also, at the time of WoW's release, a dedicated graphics card was required, no integrated graphics would run it at all, unlike Civ VI, where modern integrated graphics, like intel HD 5500, are likely to be able to run it. Though that is more related to intel improving the tech, but the point is, if you were on a laptop in 2004 with integrated graphics, you were SOL if you wanted to play WoW.

It's hard to judge performance by the videos we'll see:

1. Youtubers usually have quite good computers.

2. Normally they have streaming/recording software running in parallel, which loads processor significantly. That's especially important for turn processing times, which depend on AI calculations.

3. It's unlikely we'll see extreme conditions with huge maps and marathon speed - it's different format.

But in general we'll have some feeling about relative performance. For example, how turn times change throughout the game and how they do compared to Civ5 done by same player on the same hardware.

If you are upgrading your PC you should make sure that the upgrades will support a 4k monitor down the road.

Euhm... They run absolutely fine. Are you trolling or do you really have issues?

No, I'm most certainly not trolling. As soon as I upgraded to Windows 10, both games ceased functioning and haven't worked since. I'm using Steam and I don't want to buy Civ 6 if it's not going to work as I wouldn't be able to get a refund on the digital version.

No, I'm most certainly not trolling. As soon as I upgraded to Windows 10, both games ceased functioning and haven't worked since. I'm using Steam and I don't want to buy Civ 6 if it's not going to work as I wouldn't be able to get a refund on the digital version.

Did you upgrade your drivers, especially graphic?

I have the whole notebook not working with Win10, but that's exactly because drivers for it are no longer made.

Top Bottom