1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

System requirements are out!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by stealth_nsk, Sep 23, 2016.

1. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

amusingly AMD still has every card listed on their site if you search google for it.

I found the pages via google despite them not normally being in the menu system.

easiest option would be to grab a new RX series GPU. They're cheap - sub $200 - (if you can find one) and possibly fit in the mini-atx cases (RX 460 might, didn't look at specific sizing).

2. Grumpbeard

Grumpbeard Chieftain

Keeping in mind that I'm not a tech guy so maybe I didn't do the right thing, and that I'm not endorsing best buy, best buy has some laptops that have a dedicated GPU that seems to be at the recommended specs or higher for about 700 bucks (and up). I think that's okay, though seriously expensive is a relative value...

3. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

yeah, unfortunately there's a very large difference in performance between a GPU on a notebook (say a 7970 type one) and a graphics card in a PC (also 7970).

The Graphics card in the PC is both physically larger and well, performance wise also larger.

It'd actually be kinda nice if they split off laptop graphics/cpu from desktop graphics/cpu in the system requirements.

4. Mort_Q

Mort_Q Chieftain

5. Grumpbeard

Grumpbeard Chieftain

Huh. Well that's unfortunate, my wife was thinking we'd get a laptop for her to play on.

6. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Pls help me, will my PC make it?

CPU Intel i5-760 @ 2.80 GHz
    RAM DDR3 1333 6 GB (3x2GB)
    VIDEO AMD Radeon 5750 1GB

mid-level visuals and standard sized map...?

7. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

8. Jart

Jart Chieftain

The release of Civ is when I ususally build a new PC....

I am still exceeding recommended requirements... Yay! I guess I can put it off a while, but those new nvidia 1080 sure do make me squeal..

It is nice that you can still get a super card these days at close to the $200 price point with the AMD RX 480 and get good performance at 1440 and if you play at 1080, no need to go any higher.

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

The processors sure do seem to have a lot more "staying power" than the GPUs--when I built my PC last year I opted to move up to the 4790k and pay for the difference by just keeping the old crummy video card--sure looks like a good idea now.

Currently I'm running a second hand R9 285 which from what I can tell will just barely meet the "Recommended" requirements. That's OK.

10. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

I have an i3-3220 with 3,30 ghz and it has always served me well. Didn't have problems with Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition or Rome 2 (after the dozen or so patches).
    Above minimum and below recommended probably just means I'll better have a book ready to read between turns during the mid to late game if I play huge maps with max number of civs.
    Now is pretty bad timing for an upgrade since Intel and AMD both have a new CPU generation coming in early 2017, unless you can find a really cheap i5 or i7 for your current motherboard.

11. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

What about those who use Macs with Windows installed (via Bootcamp, VMWare Fusion, or Parallels)?

What would the minimum and recommended specs be then?

Looks like I will have to wait for the Mac App Store version to be released.

12. Civrules

Civrules We the People

I wonder when Linux requirements will be released? My system beats the recommended requirements with everything by far, except for the graphics card.

13. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Huh...why is that so? Isn't the point of pairing a dedicated card with the APU to get more power? :confused:

This is my dedicated card:
    Would that have better performance than the dual graphics?

14. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Chieftain

hmmm, specs don't look too bad, I already have a 7970 2gb and 3.5 ghz i7... though I suspect that I'll want a beefier gpu for 2560x1440, I can at least play a few weeks with the current setup to make sure that it's worth a complete system overhaul.

15. Acken

Acken Chieftain

My 2500K OC at 4.3Ghz should still stand the test of time. I wonder how long I ll stay on that cpu. Been already 5 or 6 years

16. m15a

m15a Chieftain

Oh well. Not a surprise, but doesn't look like I'll be able to play for a while. I need a laptop for work, which likely won't have a good enough GPU, and I can't really justify also getting a new desktop just to play 1 game.

17. Ktulu

Ktulu Chieftain

Sort of related question... I bought the dvd version of the game (E3 sale from Amazon), I'm assuming entering the steam key will allow me to download the game via steam right? Didn't bother with a dvd drive in my new system, could throw one in but would rather avoid the hassle.

18. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

wouldn't matter if you did add a DVD drive as Steam will just download the game anyways.

and yes, adding the steam key will have steam manage the downloads/etc after that.

19. Syrok

Syrok Chieftain

I "only" have a AMD Radeon 7950. It will still be ok, but I was not expecting a so high GPU for a recommended configuration.

20. Spaceturtle

Spaceturtle Chieftain

I have a laptop with a GT 650m and I'm scared :(