System requirements...

My CPU speed's only a little low. Looks like it will be ABLE to run on my 2009 Macbook. (Not the current Macbooks, but the ones before that)

Well, this might finally get me on Snow Leopard...

Media Required: DVD-ROM (Physical, boxed copies only)

Does that mean there will be a digital version available through the Mac App store??? guess no steam support here...

Does that mean there will be a digital version available through the Mac App store??? guess no steam support here...

:confused: Civ V is a Steamworks game, it needs Steam to run

No, I think it means you will need a DVD-ROM drive *if* you buy it on physical media. Hardly needed saying really.

It's sure to be available as a download on GameAgent, and very likely to be available on Steam.

No, I think it means you will need a DVD-ROM drive *if* you buy it on physical media. Hardly needed saying really.

It's sure to be available as a download on GameAgent, and very likely to be available on Steam.

And possibly on the Mac App Store

The official twitter @civ5mac confirms that the game is steam. That tidbit was announced about a week ago.

I'm curious about those of us who already bought it for PC and whether we can use that copy on the Mac side.

Seconded. People keep saying "you should" but I've yet to hear a definitive either way.

In any case, the Mac App Store is scheduled for a January launch (i.e. too late for initial availability).

Expected minimum system requirements say you need Snow Leopard. The latest FAQ says they don't recommend buying the game if you don't meet the minimum stated.

Note that Apple has released several patches to Snow Leopard based on work done with Steam to improve graphics performance, so I would guess you might need those enhancements for this game.

Is Snow Leopard a problem for you? It's a pretty cheap upgrade.

There really is no reason to still be using Leopard over Snow Leopard other than the US$29 price. Snow Leopard is faster and more efficient and stable than Leopard in every way, for gaming, for everything. Especially now that 10.6.5 is out which contains some serious graphics performance enhancements and bugfixes.

Especially now that 10.6.5 is out

Thanks for the notification. I didn't realize it was out. It looks like the graphic fixes was due to printer issues while playing games. I'm not sure if that's the only fix, or if there was another graphics fix that I missed.

Thanks for the notification. I didn't realize it was out. It looks like the graphic fixes was due to printer issues while playing games. I'm not sure if that's the only fix, or if there was another graphics fix that I missed.

I don't know the exact details but there were extensive updates and fixes to graphics drivers, especially for the ATI 5000 series of graphics cards. Most of these changes were in response to feedback and reports from Blizzard and Valve. We're still stuck with a OpenGL 2.1/3.0 hybrid and are miles behind OpenGL 4.1 and Direct3D 11 but any improvement is still an improvement. Improvements that Leopard will never get.

Same here. I like how Apple will use System Update to make OSX work better with some games! Shows they care!

I imagine Civ V will heavily use Grand Central Dispatch for massive multi-threading

Top Bottom