Tactics and Strategy T80-90

Can we get a worker to start on the gold? Hammers and faster research are both needed.

Can anyone get odds on the chariot's attack odds.

I actually think we should move our chariot to the forested square across the river from the barb city. This seems to be a gamble with limited risk but a very large payoff.

Here is the plan.
1) We advance the chariot 1 square along the river, checking if there are axes in those forests. If there are axes, we go across the river and kill the weak axe. This checking move has no risk to us because according to the latest screen, we cannot reach that 3.9 axe on the forested hill across the river from us.
2) If there no axes in the forests, we advance onto the forest across the river from the barb city. The question is, will there be axes in the forests beyond? We don't know, but we know Sancta had units on the way from somewhere. But the chances of there being units in precisely those squares is well less than 100%. So maybe say 50%--and that's a really high guess. That weak axe across the river is no threat to us.
3) if there are indeed axes, what are the chances that they kill our chariot? Again, it's less than 100%. I think the winning pct of a 1 combat axe vs a 1 combat chariot is about 70-75%. So in conclusion, what are the chances of there being an axe next to us AND we die? It obviously depends on the chances of there being axes nearby. If we assume 50%, we are talking about an "adverse" scenario of maybe 35-40%.

The benefits obviously are large. We would be in a position of razing the city if it's tactically possible, and we would unveil a few more squares and maybe spot any nearby Sancta units. We can also further advance to the forest hill beyond if we want to the turn after. We can also check out the garrison inside the barb city.

If that doesn't work out (i.e. the garrison is too large and our chances of razing the city are nil), we are still in a good position to strike at the injured Sancta axes in 1-2 additional turns, depending on where they move.

So, it just seems to me that moving to the forest across the river from the barb city is a low risk, very high reward proposition.

What we really give up is the ability for the injured axes to heal 1 turn. So that translates into 0.5 health per axe... But a full health chariot vs a 2.1 health axe = no contest. I'd guess the incremental HP's lost by us is small because our chariot has an effective attack power of over 8.

I like the idea of getting close to Angle. The best outcome for us is to eliminate that city so we should take a risk with that goal in mind.

Regarding the grassland forest chop, I'd rather get the new worker to do that or to do that after we've done the road. A road will help units from Aktau get to the front that little bit quicker and we're next to the spot now so no lost movement getting there.

Regarding SANCTA's Axe movement, see the attached screenshot. They've disappeared!

Question is where have they gone?!

A couple of other points:
SANCTA only allocated 3esp to us this turn and have not increased their soldiers.

Hah! We have SANCTA on the run! :lol: They don't know how many chariots we have so they are playing it safe and going on the defensive. Their objective in the short term is to prevent us from razing the barb city. They probably postitioned their units to block us:

1. Moved "Waterstof" E to the grassland
2. Moved the axe we haven't seen yet to the forest 2 N of our chariot
3. Moved "Achilles" N or NE to join one of the other axes and heal.

We should go NW with the first move for the chariot. This gives us 3 choices for our second move depending on what the situation looks like.

They must have their 4th Axe nearby. Otherwise their best move would have been to fortify Waterstof and move Achilles to join him.

I doubt the will have moved both to the open field in the valley.

I think NW is probably the best 1st move, although Achilles has probably gone NE to the forest.

They may be using Achilles as bait to lure in our Chariot so the new full strength Axe can have a go. Achilles may well have gotten a promotion as well.

In general though, I think trading a Chariot for an Axe is good. Not only do they cost more hammers but we can replenish Chariots to the frontline faster than they can with a slow-moving Axe.

A larger army is only useful if it's in the right place!

I think we should go North with the Chariot. only downside of that move is that we can't see the hill E of Angle

Turn 97 - recap

Spoiler :

Military
Warrior by Haz > to lookout point (NE)
Warrior by Shymkent > N to fogbust
Axe 1 > N
Axe 2 > NW
Chariot (Paris) > N, then?

Civilian Units
Worker by Haz on forest > chop
Other worker by Haz > go to hill SW of Pavlodar/go to chop for Aktau
Worker 1 by Osk > E,E to road/S to chop for Shymkent
Worker 2 by Osk > NE, to road on forest
WB > farm fish

Cities
Shymkent > whip worker
Atyrau > switch to fish from iron

I think we should build that mine for Pavlodar. Haz will be working cottages again so Aktau can use the shared mined hill whilst it grows.

Spoiler :

I moved our Chariot North. there is the 4th axe on the forest with Achilles. he's on 4.4:strength: WoodII

To complicate things further a Barb Axe has shown up!

Combat odds are nearly 50:50

Team Cav have built Stonehenge.

Good news though - MS have given us Construction :)

For our Chariot I suggest we stay put or pull back. If SANCTA attack us with Zuurstof it will be on 50-50 odds. We can pick off the barb Axe to get XP. It would be nice if it went for SANCTA but it will probably drift towards our territory.

When Oskemen is finished the Axe we can build a Catapult for 2 turns and whip once the pop grows. But we'll need a garrison unit or we'll have happiness issues. We could bring down the warrior from Pavlodar and build a new garrison unit there instead? Someone somewhere needs to build an Archer or two!

(I'll finish turn in the morning)

We also need to ask MS to tech HBR for us before their turn comes around again.

*We should move S with the chariot. We can fall back for one turn and let the barb axe move. Then next turn we can possibly take the barb axe out for xp (if he moves to a location where SANCTA can't get to us after we kill him). It's a shame we didn't move NW... we would have been able to kill him this turn.

*If we aren't going to whip Pav then yes we should build the mine.

*The two workers by Oskemen could both move N and road together on the grassland.

I'd rather attack that barb axe in the open. We may still get lucky and he'll head up towards Angle. Another thing to note is that now Angle is working the grassland square, so it will grow quicker if it's not on pop 2 already!

Annoyingly, if it weren't for that barb axe, we could sit 1W of where we are now and hit Angle after they take it. But SANCTA do take Angle hopefully that will draw the barb Axe.

We guessed correctly where SANCTA's axes would be, what I didn't anticipate was a wood II axe :(

No point in both workers going onto the forest, so I'll move the other to road E. We can always chop the grass or mine the gold after that.

If we whip Pavlodar for 2 pop then when it recover 1 pop it will be on all improved tiles, so we'll want to improve the mine before it grows again. But we can use the other worker by Haz for that perhaps?

We have 3 cities that are about to finish what they are working on. What should they start next?

Pav - finishes spear in 2 turn. Then settler or a spy. I think spy.
Aktua finishes chariot in 1 turn. Then chariot or galley. I think a chariot.
Osk - finishes axe in 1 turn. Then axe or a catapult. I think catapult.

And my thoughs on our other cities.
Haz - After the GL then what. A forge or a trireme would be my thoughts. Maybe trireme then whip a forge and then another trireme. I think we need at least 2 if we want to stop any naval attacks.

Shym - Grow pop and whip a granary. Then grow again and whip a barracks, spear, catapult, or spy. My vote is a spy.

Aty - build spear. When grow whip barracks.

When the road south of Osk is done I think we should move the worker to the gold.

I agree. And what about the new worker from Shymkent?

I would say also gold unless we then improve the tile before we are ready to work it.

Otherwise - move towards the iron city and do a chop or build a mine.

How's this for T98?

Military (play in order)
Axe 1 > NE
Axe 2 > NW
Chariot > Wait and see what barb axe does
Scout > W

Civilian
New Worker > to Gold OR to forest for chop OR NW for cottage (I recommend chop, so Granary is done before pop grows)
Worker by Aktau > SE,W to chop OR S to cottage (use by Aktau for Haz to take over later)

Tech
NB: Cav should get CS this turn, so we should get it next turn. We should switch straight away

Cities
Oskemen > Catapult next

Aktau
Spoiler :

* Aktau is at happy cap but will recover 1 happy this turn
* if we switch to Catapult/Galley this turn this turn Aktau will grow and we can do a 2 pop whip for the Catapult and then finish the Chariot
* or we can finish the Chariot this turn and then do a 2 pop whip for the Temple.

I think the chariot can move up and then back into position. Or by wait did you mean wait until the barbarian have had their chance to move?

Should we whip Pav before switching to CS?

Whipping Akt for a catapult - doesn't a whip with no previous hammers invested cost significantly more than a whip once at least one turn has been invested in a unit? I think it would be better to whip the temple or to just build the chariot.

Workers
Shym grows in 4 turns - can the worker move (1 turn) and finish a chop in time (2 turns) to be done the turn before the population grows (4 turns)? I thought workers took more than 2 turns to complete chops. Or are we on a faster speed?

Akt - I think cottage and save the chop. We have limited chops in this city, and I think it makes more sense to save the chops until we have a forge. Or at least use them to build a forge, as we will still get the 25% bonus from Mono.

Top Bottom